HELP-Scott Scale 29 Team- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

HELP-Scott Scale 29 Team

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone out there could help me. I just purchased a Scott Scale 29 Team from Scott "dent and scratch" inventory for a great price ($1200 bike for $600). The bike was purchased with a small dent on the right seat stay, which I believed was the extent of the "damage". However, after bringing it home and taking a better look at it, it appears as if the rear wheel sits further to the right with respect to the seat stays. In other words, I'm concerned that the frame itself might be bent. I'm no genius on mountain biking, but I'm smart enough to know that a bent frame can't be good. I have to imagine that a bent frame could affect structural integrity and overall performance.

Does anyone with a Scale 29 or other bike have any thoughts? Does anyone else have a bike built this way? Is this just part of the engineering on this particular bike, or is the seat stay and frame likely bent?

Your input is greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Sounds like the frame is bent. Can you post a pic? Did you purchase this from a local bike store? Hard to believe anybody would even sell a frame in this kind of condition.

There may be somebody that can fix the frame and straighten it. Aluminum right? I think I have seen somebody post names of such builders before.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Have someone check the dish of the rear wheel. Could easily be the rimis not centered on the hub.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for the responses. Yeah it has an aluminum frame. It was purchased directly from a Scott USA warehouse with their "sratch and dent" inventory. Here are some pics...I might just be super paranoid but it makes me sick to think I spent $600 on a bike with a messed up frame..

Thanks for the input!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HELP-Scott Scale 29 Team-020.jpg  

HELP-Scott Scale 29 Team-021.jpg  

HELP-Scott Scale 29 Team-023.jpg  

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Looks to me like the wheel needs to be dished properly... Is the wheel actually cockeyed in the rear triangle or is simply a half inch off to the right? Unless it's sitting at an angle, you're fine and the wheel just needs a simple adjustment at the bike shop

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    as lame as it sounds 90% of wheels not straight looking in the frame are from the wheel not being totally set in the dropouts. Undo the quick release and reset it to make sure he wheel is all the way in.

bike tester
    i will give you $600 for your bike right now if you want to get out of it.

if you don't want to sell, can i please have the phone number of the warehouse?

thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have seen bikes with paint drips in the the dropouts that didn't allow the wheel to seat properly. A quick round file to remove the paint fixed them. Worth a check.

Bicycle Addict
    Seriously dude, where did you get that kind of a deal? I just payed $1500 for the Elite. But I think these guys are right. I may just be the wheel, don't think the frame is bent. How does it ride? Do you notice it?
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    one way to check if the frame is bent or not is described by Sheldon Brown here:

http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

Scroll about 3/4 of the way down to a section labeled "Checking Alignment (Symmetry)"

but chances are that the wheel is out of dish.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for your input everyone. Have barely had a chance to ride it...snowing outside and scared to ride around too much until I know things are fine and don't have to take it back. I'll definitely try to get a hold of the guy who sold it to me (who of course is gone for New Years) and have him make sure the wheel is mounted correctly, etc. As I mentioned, I got this bike through a special deal at a Scott warehouse in N. Utah because I know a guy who knows a guy, but I'd be more than willing to give you his contact info if he's cool with it. I'll ask him when I finally hear back from him..

Thanks again for your help!

mtbr member
    May 2012

Same problem

There is a guy on you tub with same problem, I'm picking my Scale Team up next week wonder if mine is the same. Will post later, to update check out the you tube version could be a QC issue.

Members who have read this thread: 0