help!! reason to buy a 29er Hardtail instead of 26er FS?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

help!! reason to buy a 29er Hardtail instead of 26er FS?

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    because you want it?

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    Yep. Get what you want. Either one will be a blast to ride and give you lots of pleasure. Each one may excel on certain trails based on how much climbing there is or how rocky the descents are. A comparable spec'd FS 26 may be a few hundred more which in the grand scheme of things is not a lot of money. Get either, spend the time you saved riding the hell out of it.

"The great source of both the misery and disorders of human life, seems to arise from over-rating the difference between one permanent situation and another." - Adam Smith

Naturally Organic
    Here is some info...

EDIT: So you can post in this thread...
    You might own a 29er if...

Newt Guy
    Because you don't need FS.
    Yes, steel is most certainly stronger than aluminum EVERY time.
    ~Frosty Struthers

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    buy 29 FS

saddlemeat
    Because you came to your senses?
    I ride with the best dogs.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Because bigger and hard is better .

Master of Disaster
    Never worry about pedal bob, kickback or brake jack? Never replace pivot bearings or rebuild a shock?

Its got what plants crave
    This thread is lame because you didn't give any details. Like what types of trails you ride, whether you're racing or commuting to work. It's also lame because you're comparing two totally different things.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Terrain Sculptor
    reason to buy a 29er Hardtail instead of 26er FS?
    There isn't one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If racing, you can build up a light 29ht for a fair bit cheaper than a light FS 26er, but still have some relief from the rough stuff, over a HT 26er

mtbr member
    One could go on and on about the benefits of a 29er hardtail over a 26 FS so let me sum it all up in 2 words. MORE FUN!!!

mtbr member
    All guys hesitating between 26er fs and 29er ht ought to purchase a 29er FS for Jesus Sake. Why losing out on FS on bigger wheels?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidcopperfield
    All guys hesitating between 26er fs and 29er ht ought to purchase a 29er FS for Jesus Sake. Why losing out on FS on bigger wheels?
    Cuz in my case I prefer to climb out of the saddle which sucks on a FS bike be it a 26 or 29. The beauty IMHO of a rigid 29er is its ability to remain stable on fast rock strewn decents like a FS 26er without the compromise of a squishy rear end when the terrain goes north.

Ben-Jammin
    Quote Originally Posted by Spastook
    Cuz in my case I prefer to climb out of the saddle which sucks on a FS bike be it a 26 or 29. The beauty IMHO of a rigid 29er is its ability to remain stable on fast rock strewn decents like a FS 26er without the compromise of a squishy rear end when the terrain goes north.
    Sounds like you haven't ridden an Epic.

And no, your rigid 29er doesn't descend anything like a FS 26er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CasteelG
    Sounds like you haven't ridden an Epic.

And no, your rigid 29er doesn't descend anything like a FS 26er.

Didn't say rigid, I said hardtail 29er and IMO yes it does mimic the downhill ability of my FS26er.

Now wr rollin on a Boom!
    Better ride them both on some trails you're familiar with!! I don't think you can go wrong either way, but since you're plunking down a fair bit of money it might be worth the extra time you take. Plus it will be lots of cheap/free fun, so why not?

If the HT does the local bumps good enough, you can get a better climber for less $$, weight, and moving parts. If you really need the bump eating of FS, it seems like 26 may still be cheaper. FS29ers do rock, though.

... you can see how this "fleet o' bikes" thing takes over our garages and wallets. =D
    I love my HT29, FS29, my touring/road bike, my old trusty commuter, my-- etc., etc.
    "I think it's cool how the best line is also usually the most beautiful line" --Kurt F, Tamarancho, Safety Meeting

Carbon & Ti rule
    Didn't say rigid, I said hardtail 29er and IMO yes it does mimic the downhill ability of my FS26er.
    A 29er HT is not like a 26 FS & anybody with half a brain can work that out. ( hay I did )

A 29er hard tail IMO is so much better than a 26er hard tail that it's hard to see why a good rider would go 26er HT,However anyone that thinks a 29er HT is like a 26er FS bike is so far off trhe mark it's not funny.

With a 26er FS you can sit down & pedal over the ruff & not get bounced around much & with a 29er hard tail well you get bounced around.

The 29er HT is a fast bike & I would never take that away from them but from what I have seen people either like HT or FS & the wheel size doesn't change that much.

There are people that never felt at home on a 26er FS that just love there 29er HT
    & if you are able to have a couple of bikes then giving a 29er HT a go for sure.

It suprises me how often people ask others what they should ride & then offer nothing that could help people work out what they should be riding,It is as stupid as people offering an answer with out that info ( All they can do is offer what they like )

IMO you are either HT rider or a FS rider & wheel size won't change that

If you are somewear between the 2 there is no doubt that wheel size could swing you either way.

I don't like HT at all & have ridden 29er hard tails while there riders Have ridden my RIp9 or Jet9 & for me the 29er HT is ok & I wouldn't even leave the car park on a 26er HT I just couldn't be bothered.

XC does very little for me I feel that you may as well be a roady, That said if I had legs like some of the top XC riders I can well see how it would be much more fun.

For me the smiles only start to come at over 40km per hour in the forest I tight twisty tracks & 29er FS is the right bike for me.

Talking to some of the guys at the SS world champs that are in no doubt better riders than me,The tracks that they thought were getting a bit rough to be fun IMO is wear real MTBing begins & for this reason I think that only the OP will realy know what pushes his buttons.

I love High Speed
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    I wouldn't even leave the car park on a 26er HT I just couldn't be bothered.

I bought my first mountain bike in 1983. Obviously it was a rigid, 26 inch, friction shifting absolute blast. Good thing you weren't riding back in the old days junior.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I wouldn't even leave the car park on a 26er HT I just couldn't be bothered.

I bought my first mountain bike in 1983. Obviously it was a rigid, 26 inch, friction shifting absolute blast. Good thing you weren't riding back in the old days junior.
    At 45 years old I thank you for calling me junior.

In 1983 I brought my 1st brand new Dirt bike a Honda XR 500 RC up untill then I had been riding 2nd hand 250 cc motor bikes so I remember 1983 very well.

I am not ashamed of were I have come from as far as bikes are concerned but in no way do I wish to go back.

It is easy to put up with lesser gear if you have never had the good stuff but boy is it hard to go back the other way.

I don't drink or smoke or spend much money on other things I just like to have a nice bike or 2.
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=muzzanic]At 45 years old I thank you for calling me junior.

You're welcome. No offense intended. Given your motocross background it's easy to see why you prefer FS. Several of the old timers I ride with had extensive motocross racing backgrounds and they also ride only 29er FS rigs. My background prior to 1983 was road racing, maybe that's part of the reason I prefer hardtails. Actually I love full rigid but my old bones ( I can't remember 45 ) can't deal with the beating a full rigid dishes out.

Members who have read this thread: 0