Help with purchasing my first 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Help with purchasing my first 29er

Need help with purchasing my first 29 HT. I am new to the sport and have been spending a considerable time over the last few weeks reading and trying to learn about what direction to go here. I donít expect to be a hardcore Mountain Biker and will mainly be the weekend rider hitting some local trails around here. I also believe in paying for quality to cut back on problems, repairs, etcÖ. BUT, my budget is only around the sub 2K market. I have narrowed my search down to the Specialized Fuse Expert 29 which is a hair over budget but seems to be a great bike with solid parts. I also like the Specialized Fuse Comp 6Fattie. Are there any other comparable 29ers out there in this price point that would be a better buy? I know this can be somewhat subjective but thatís ok. I am looking for opinions of people who are experienced in this hobby and can lend some advice.

Appreciate any insight that you can provide.

mtbr member
    before you get too excited about any particular bike, be aware that bike shops across the country (world?) are sold out of just about everything. with all the businesses and stuff closed due to the pandemic, many people suddenly became interested in cycling and bought bikes off the shelves like ... toilet paper. it might be hard to find what you want.

WillWorkForTrail
    I would also look at the Giant Fathom 29, and Trek......I forget what they're calling theirs. But I'd look at it. Also, as Mack said, be aware that there is a real dearth of bikes available at the moment in the sub $5K price range - they've all been bought. You may be waiting for 2021 model availability before you can buy one - August or September probably. So, with that in mind, if you DO run across a shop that has one of these bikes in your size, and you don't find it revolting for one reason or another, you might not want to think too hard about seeing what else is out there before you just buy what's in front of you that works.

mtbr member
    Second the Giant Fathom 29.
    Great value for around $1500 in a new bike.
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    before you get too excited about any particular bike, be aware that bike shops across the country (world?) are sold out of just about everything. with all the businesses and stuff closed due to the pandemic, many people suddenly became interested in cycling and bought bikes off the shelves like ... toilet paper. it might be hard to find what you want.

Really appreciate the responses. After seeing your comment i spent the better part of the day calling every bike store within a 100 mile radius haha. Unbelievable that everyone is out of bikes. I will certainly put the Giant Fathom 29 on the list and i guess i will have to wait until stock fills back up. What a mood killer haha. Was really looking forward to getting out this summer. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    The 2020 Fuse is an amazing hardtail. If you can get your hands on one, get it. Look at the specialized sub forum and you can see reviews. Best of luck with your search.