Help please - SB100 v Blur (with 120 fork)- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    6

    Help please - SB100 v Blur (with 120 fork)

    I am looking for a new light, nimble short travel 29er for pinn'in local trail (plus racing XC\100km Marathons too).

    I currently ride a SB4.5 2017, which is great when riding open trail with long sweeping turns, but I find really slow\sluggish in the tight singletrack that is common in my area.

    I want my next bike to be lighter and more nimble than the 45, especially in the tight singletrail.

    My LBS sell custom built Yeti and Santa Cruz, but they only build to order, so no chance of getting a demo of either bike.

    The lead mechanic (and a trusted adviser of many years) has suggested the SB100 over the Blur, for the pedalling efficiency of the SI design, however the SC Blur frame appears to much lighter than the SB100, and thats gotta be a major advantage -- right?.

    Im 5'10 with 32 inch inseam, and ape factor arms, so looking at a Large Frame.

    Numbers side by side:
    Headangle -Blur 68.5 / SB100 67.8
    Reach - Blur 455mm / SB100 452mm
    Wheelbase - Blur 1164mm / SB100 1177mm
    Chain Stay - Blur 432mm / SB100 437mm
    Frame weight - Blur 2.05kg (no shock) / SB100 2.5kg

    When I study the numbers, the Blur's lighter frame, and shorter wheel base makes me think it will be most nimble and responsive, but Ive never ridden the VPP before.

    Any tips appreciated.
    Cheers String

  2. #2
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,956
    I did a similar search, and ended up narrowing it down to the SB100 and Blur TR (120mm). I went with the SB100 for a few different reasons, including it felt a bit burlier, cockpit felt better, and I vastly prefer the 3-position levers on the F/R suspension on the Yeti vs. the dual remote lockouts on the Blur. Iíve got a more detailed post on it somewhere.

    I am also 5í10Ē with a 32-inch inseam, and the Large fits me perfectly. The bike feels playful and flickable underneath me, is very snappy and sharp-handling. Pedaling efficiency is fantastic, and Iíve had it on week-long trips to SoCal and Colorado, with alot of steep, sustained climbing, and the SB100 ate it up.

    Regarding the weight, on an apples-to-apples basis, the Blur might be ~1/2 lb. less than the SB100, but in real-world builds, they are seeming pretty similar.

    All that said, my wife has a Blur 100mm, and loves it, but she is much lighter than I am. I donít think you can go wrong with either, but my vote is for the SB100.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,994
    Quote Originally Posted by stringalongamax21 View Post
    I want my next bike to be lighter and more nimble than the 45, especially in the tight singletrail.
    In general, this desire will favor the bike with the steeper HTA.
    Whining is not a strategy.

  4. #4
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    32,332
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    In general, this desire will favor the bike with the steeper HTA.
    And the shorter wheelbase/chainstay.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,324
    Have to ask why the Pivot Mach 4 SL isn't on the list?
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AF2NR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    287
    The stock Blur TR doesn't come with a 120 fork, it is 110. I enjoyed riding my Blur, which is for sale btw, but I wanted something that was more playful and ended up going to a 27.5 bike. I also demoed both bikes and for what I thought I wanted to do, maybe some XC/marathon type racing the Blur seemed better for me. However in hind sight the SB may have been the better option as I learned that I like riding for fun more than training. My Blur TR has the 120 airshaft in it, and it's a Large, and it weighs 24.08 without pedals. I don't think you can go wrong with either bike honestly, good luck!
    So many trails, so little time.

    2019 Santa Cruz 5010 C S, 140/130

  7. #7
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,956
    Quote Originally Posted by AF2NR View Post
    I also demoed both bikes and for what I thought I wanted to do, maybe some XC/marathon type racing the Blur seemed better for me. However in hind sight the SB may have been the better option as I learned that I like riding for fun more than training.
    This is the other reason I went with the SB100 - I think the Blur, even in TR configuration, is more of an XC racer, and I wanted something a bit more fun and capable for day-to-day trail riding, in addition to 12/24-hour, marathon and stage racing (no pure XC racing for me). I think that the SB100 fulfills that perfectly.
    Ride more; post less...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    224
    New tallboy is coming very soon. Most likely crankworx reveal so wait a couple of days.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,324
    Quote Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
    New tallboy is coming very soon. Most likely crankworx reveal so wait a couple of days.
    Why- it's heading away from it's XC heritage based on all the rumors.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    6
    Yer I saw the rumors too and have been excited to see the new Tallboy.
    I have considered giving up XC racing at end of the season and just focus on having fun on the trail. 5010 and Tallboy both look awesome after seeing 'guy kesteven' ride them on youtube. I dont know anyone around here with one though.
    Could the new Tallboy be the most fun, poppy short-travel 29er?.
    Thanks for your comments buddy!

  11. #11
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,956
    Quote Originally Posted by stringalongamax21 View Post
    Yer I saw the rumors too and have been excited to see the new Tallboy.
    I have considered giving up XC racing at end of the season and just focus on having fun on the trail. 5010 and Tallboy both look awesome after seeing 'guy kesteven' ride them on youtube. I dont know anyone around here with one though.
    Could the new Tallboy be the most fun, poppy short-travel 29er?.
    Thanks for your comments buddy!
    I'd call the Tallboy "mid-travel", as short-travel, to me, is 100/110mm rear travel.

    You might be pretty surprised at what the SB100 can handle, if you just want to have fun. It's an extremely fun bike!
    Ride more; post less...

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    6
    Hi Waltaz,
    Thanks buddy for sharing your real life experience with the SB100. Sounds like you really like the SB100, your comments have really helped alot.

    I also don't like the idea of using a lockout, I prefer a nice clean bar and being able to standup and mash the pedals without having to think locking the suspension.

    My SB45 is good for that too (it just turns in the tight-stuff like a school bus).

    The bizzare thing is this ... on paper the geo numbers of the SB45 and SB100 look so similar, however from what Im hearing they are completely different bikes from a handling point of view.

    SB45 v SB100
    Head angle -SB45 67.4 / SB100 67.8
    Reach - SB45 444mm / SB100 452mm
    Wheelbase - SB45 1180 mm / SB100 1177mm
    Chain Stay - SB45 437mm / SB100 437mm
    Frame weight - SB45 2.6kg / SB100 2.5kg

    Man, I wish I was travelling to US sometime soon - from what I see on youtube, you guys have the ability to demo multiple bikes before you buy. The market is too small in OZ and so bike shops cant afford to run demo fleets at all.

    Thanks again buddy

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    6
    TwoTONE - That is a very interesting question, and yes I have watched multiple reviews on the new Pivot Mach 4. The honest answer is just that I dont live that close to a Pivot retail store. My trusted LBS stocks Yeti, SC, Niner, Divinci to my knowledge.

  14. #14
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,956
    Quote Originally Posted by stringalongamax21 View Post
    Hi Waltaz,
    Thanks buddy for sharing your real life experience with the SB100. Sounds like you really like the SB100, your comments have really helped alot.

    I also don't like the idea of using a lockout, I prefer a nice clean bar and being able to standup and mash the pedals without having to think locking the suspension.

    My SB45 is good for that too (it just turns in the tight-stuff like a school bus).

    The bizzare thing is this ... on paper the geo numbers of the SB45 and SB100 look so similar, however from what Im hearing they are completely different bikes from a handling point of view.

    SB45 v SB100
    Head angle -SB45 67.4 / SB100 67.8
    Reach - SB45 444mm / SB100 452mm
    Wheelbase - SB45 1180 mm / SB100 1177mm
    Chain Stay - SB45 437mm / SB100 437mm
    Frame weight - SB45 2.6kg / SB100 2.5kg

    Man, I wish I was travelling to US sometime soon - from what I see on youtube, you guys have the ability to demo multiple bikes before you buy. The market is too small in OZ and so bike shops cant afford to run demo fleets at all.

    Thanks again buddy
    Happy to share any info!

    Also, not sure how impactful it is to you, but I believe the 44mm offset on the fork helps the SB100ís handling. Itís the first 44mm offset bike Iíve ridden, and itís noticeable to me. Very quick and precise.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

  15. #15
    Having a nice day!
    Reputation: LoneStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,370
    FWIW, I think your LBS will still value you as a customer even if you don't buy a bike/frame through them. I picked up a frame from Intense early last year and my shop was happy to help me build it up...along with some wheels (which they likely made more $ from). I'd take a look at the Mach 4SL if I were in your shoes just to avoid any potential buyer's remorse.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    I am also 5í10Ē with a 32-inch inseam, and the Large fits me perfectly.
    Hey Waltaz - THanks again mate. your comments have made the SB100 top of my list, and keen to pull trigger asap.

    Ive arranged for a carpark ride with my trusted LBS tomorrow. Just cos we are the same size body, I wondered:
    What size stem do you use?.
    Many spacers ?
    Is your saddle fairly middle of rails?

    Cheers fella
    String

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zerort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,125
    I owned the Blur - in XC form. I think I had it under 20 lbs for a size Large - pictures on this site somewhere.

    It was a great bike for long days in the saddle. Very comfortable. However, it just felt plain to me. A bit boring. Not poppy at all.

    I sold it want went to a OIZ. The Orbea is a pretty fun bike, with great handling. The stock FOX factory suspension however was poor at best. I now have it set up with a 120 mm fork and a McLeod shock and I will probably keep this one for awhile with this setup.

    You can also increase the rear travel to 120 mm by adding a longer stroke shock if you have any interest.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

  18. #18
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,956
    Quote Originally Posted by stringalongamax21 View Post
    Hey Waltaz - THanks again mate. your comments have made the SB100 top of my list, and keen to pull trigger asap.

    Ive arranged for a carpark ride with my trusted LBS tomorrow. Just cos we are the same size body, I wondered:
    What size stem do you use?.
    Many spacers ?
    Is your saddle fairly middle of rails?

    Cheers fella
    String
    Great to hear! To answer your questions:
    - Stem: Stock 50mm
    - Spacers: 25mm total - two 10mm's and a 5mm
    - Saddle: I have it slightly back of center - about 5-10mm

    Hope this helps!
    Ride more; post less...

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    6
    Hey Waltaz.. So I picked up my new SB100 last night. First proper ride will be a race tomorrow. (7hr team of 2 relay format). Thanks again buddy for sharing all your info on the SB100. :-)

  20. #20
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,956
    Quote Originally Posted by stringalongamax21 View Post
    Hey Waltaz.. So I picked up my new SB100 last night. First proper ride will be a race tomorrow. (7hr team of 2 relay format). Thanks again buddy for sharing all your info on the SB100. :-)
    Thatís awesome...congratulations! Looking forward to hearing how the first rides/race go for you! Good luck and enjoy!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-23-2019, 08:02 AM
  2. Blur TR or Yeti SB100 or...
    By RoyV in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-03-2019, 10:52 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-02-2018, 12:13 PM
  4. SB100 frame and/or fork for sale
    By danK in forum Yeti
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-07-2018, 03:04 PM
  5. Blur XC with 120 fork or Blur TR
    By Shift Worker in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-10-2013, 08:49 PM

Members who have read this thread: 142

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.