Help Please- Mtbr.com

Thread: Help Please

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

New question here. Help Please

I'm hoping to get into biking again with my 13 year old son. The last time I rode regularly was when there were 2 types of bikes, dirt bikes and 10 speeds! I've visited a half dozen LBS and read hundreds of reviews etc.
    I'm leaning towards an LBS bike because I lack the skill to assemble/tune an online purchase.
    I'm hoping to ride on neighborhood streets, bike paths and some trails (few jumps, prayerfully no drops).
    I'd like to spend around $1,000 for a couple of bikes (one for my son, one for me).
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    What brands do your local bike stores carry? Do you want a 29er (I assume you do b/c you are in the 29er forum). If so you choices are somewhat limited in that price range. I think the Specialized Hardrock 29er retails at $580. Of the big LBS brands, (Trek, Specialized, Gary Fisher, Kona, etc.) that's the only 29er that's close to your price range. You should be able to get a deal on two bikes or for last year's model.

As for 26inch bikes, a Trek 4300 or a Specialized Hard Rock sport are both solid choices with good frames. For the most part if you go to the shop, tell them how you intend to use the bike, and your budget, they will steer you in the right direction.

Do exactly what you've been doing, shop around, test ride, and pick what feels right. $500 is the perfect amount to spend on a first bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks for the advice. The 29er you suggested is the bike I'm looking at for myself. The bike shops around here have GT, Fuji, Trek, Specialized, Mongoose, Diamondback, Schwinn, Fisher, Cannondale and a few others I'm sure I missed. My son is interested in 24 gears, disc brakes and a cool look. I'm more interested in components than color for him, but again, he's 13. I haven't looked much at Trek (shop not that convenient) but I will today. Thanks again for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Members who have read this thread: 0