Help a newbie 29er out- Mtbr.com
    TiRider

Help a newbie 29er out

I have a Niner that I have ridden for almost a week now and am convinced that at my age (64) fully rigid is not the way to go.

I found this picture at another site:

And have decided that the Lefty would be a nice way to solve my problem. The question I have is which model Lefty to use?
    Cynicism is a perquisite to satire. Satire without cynicism is like a metaphor without...whatever.

Visit US Cycling Report

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mootsguy
    I have a Niner that I have ridden for almost a week now and am convinced that at my age (64) fully rigid is not the way to go.

And have decided that the Lefty would be a nice way to solve my problem. The question I have is which model Lefty to use?
    Not to be an ass, but why would you want a lefty? The Niner was designed around a Reba (won't smash the downtube should you swing the wheel around) and other makers out there make 29 specific forks White Bros, Marzochi. If you go with the Lefty you're going to have to jack with the headset or get the adapter, and have a wheel build for the lefty. To me that's a lot of work for a fork that you won't be able to get serviced in most shops. Get what you like, but why make life harder for yourself?

TiRider
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    Get what you like, but why make life harder for yourself?
    I would do exactly that except AMP no longer makes forks ---

Your point about hitting the downtube is well made and taken.
    Cynicism is a perquisite to satire. Satire without cynicism is like a metaphor without...whatever.

Visit US Cycling Report

mtbr member

Yeah, but...

There are two of these in existence,

A bike by any other name is still a bike.

mtbr member
    So, all I have to do is send Willit my current F4BLT and they can convert it?

Say that's the truth.
    He might. Tell him Plumbob sent ya.

TiRider

Say that's the truth.

Visit US Cycling Report

TiRider
    Could you PM me with the best way to make contact?

Visit US Cycling Report

TiRider

Did you get it

Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel
    He might. Tell him Plumbob sent ya.
    I sent you a question via email did you get it?

Visit US Cycling Report

mtbr member
    Wes could probably do it. Let me check in with him. Shoot me an email if you have any other questions.

-s
    Retired Willits Brand Bicycles Webmaster::
    http://www.willitsbikes.com
    South Austin, Texas ::

mtbr member

Again not to be an A$$

Say that's the truth.
    Get a Reba for $200 and enjoy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Where are Reba's $200??

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by TACSTS
    Where are Reba's $200??
    everywhere.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    okay, I hadn't even really priced a suspension fork because I figured it would be out of my budget, but really that's quite comparative to a rigid fork, (disregarding the KM and Inbred). Thanks, I'll be shopping around for one now!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

I'm 48 yr's old with degenerative disc disease in my lower back, and I want to save you some regret on your next bike purchase. Before you even think about buying a rear hard tail 29er at least borrow a full suspension 29er bike and take it out on a good rough trail. I'm from the dirt bike world where it has been proven time and again that a mediocre engine and super suspension will beat a super engine with mediocre suspension. It has also been proven on MTB's that for the same distance traveled, heart rate is lower, fatigue is lower and endurance is higher on a full suspension verses a hard tail bike. I was 35 before my back problem was diagnosed and I regret the years I rode a hard tail prior to that (I started back in 1989 when the first full suspension bikes were just starting to show up). You may not ache from one days riding but the cumulative damage adds up over time, particularly if you will develop a bad back in the future but don't know it yet. At 64 one thing is for certain, your back will not get better with age, you need to (just like me even though I'm younger) protect what you still have. Particularly if you plan on riding into your 70's. Let the young healthy bucks argue over the merits of hardtails vs. full suspension, you and I don't have that luxury! I ride a 29er because it helps smooth out the trail and a full suspension 29er smoothes out the trail even better. Enough said.

mtbr member
    I sent you a question via email did you get it?
    Sorry no, bigwheel_29athotmail.com?

TiRider
    Yep, but I will try again.

Visit US Cycling Report

Eric the Red
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    Not to be an ass, but why would you want a lefty? The Niner was designed around a Reba (won't smash the downtube should you swing the wheel around) and other makers out there make 29 specific forks White Bros, Marzochi. If you go with the Lefty you're going to have to jack with the headset or get the adapter, and have a wheel build for the lefty. To me that's a lot of work for a fork that you won't be able to get serviced in most shops. Get what you like, but why make life harder for yourself?
    Besides, how many Rebas could you buy for the price of a Lefty? 2, 3?

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel
    There are two of these in existence,
    Lol. You have no idea what you've done. Almost certainly there will soon be three.

Git'em mootsy! Wes may even be building in Ti these days. And you know you need a new bike.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

TiRider
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Git'em mootsy! Wes may even be building in Ti these days. And you know you need a new bike.
    Geeze, I was trying to sneak that one past you wooglin.

Yeah, I might need a new Ti ride..........]
    Last edited by mootsguy; 02-11-2006 at 02:23 PM.

Visit US Cycling Report

TiRider
    Okay, I have sent two messages and assume that neither has gone through. So, email me with the price and we'll go from there.

TNX

Visit US Cycling Report

TiRider
    Okay, I tried the new email you gave me and apparently that didn't work either. Any other ideas?

Visit US Cycling Report

TiRider

Any contact

Quote Originally Posted by WillitsBrand.com
    Wes could probably do it. Let me check in with him. Shoot me an email if you have any other questions.

-s
    Have you had the chance to talk with Wes yet? I would very much like to wind up with a 29er AMP fork somehow..........

Visit US Cycling Report

Members who have read this thread: 0