Help: Need some solid wheel suggestions to lace to XT hubs- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Help: Need some solid wheel suggestions to lace to XT hubs

If you had a limited amount of money to spend on mountain biking and a relatively new set of XT hubs that came laced to some shitty Mavic wheels would you spend the money to lace them to a 'nicer' set of rims?

I weigh 200lbs and am 6 foot tall. I put around 6 hours a week on my Jamis Dakota 29er. Most of my rides are on fire roads and buff singletrack although I jib, jump, and slam my way around.

I got the wheels last fall when Jensen was blowing them out. I've already ridden the wheels well out of true and would like to cut the hubs out, buy a rim set, spoke set and have someone lace new wheels up.

I'm not worried about weight. I want a stiff set of wheels with a wider contact patch than what I'm used to. Every set of 29er wheels I've had thus far have been the Mavic wheels that come speced with the Jamis.

I like to shop for MTB. stuff on Ebay so any suggestions on rim brands and models to watch for would be appreciated. Also, how are spoke sets sold in the mtb world? What do I need to buy?

Please don't suggest LBS. My LBS sucks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Look here,

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=639704

Basically a duplicate scenario.

poser Administrator
    Sun MTX 33 29er. A full on FR/DH style rim for a good price.

Don't cut out your spokes by the way. Loosen the tension equally in all the spokes then cut it out. Cutting without relieving tension can cause hub spoke holes to crack ruining the hub and making you
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by OdinOrion
    Look here,

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=639704

Basically a duplicate scenario.
    OK. Great thread. My head hurts, but I have a range of rims to watch for. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    Sun MTX 33 29er. A full on FR/DH style rim for a good price.

Don't cut out your spokes by the way. Loosen the tension equally in all the spokes then cut it out. Cutting without relieving tension can cause hub spoke holes to crack ruining the hub and making you
    OK. I'll watch for the MTX as well. Thanks for the note on cutting spokes out of the hub. I would have just gone after them with a grinder.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    look for Halo Freedom disc rims. i got mine from Speedgoat for $45 eacha few months ago and laced them to XT hubs...bomber wheelset!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bloo
    look for Halo Freedom disc rims. i got mine from Speedgoat for $45 eacha few months ago and laced them to XT hubs...bomber wheelset!
    Thanks for the reply. I will watch for these too. What about spoke set? What spoke set did you use?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I laced up a set of wheels this year with XT hubs, DT Swiss Competition spokes and Stan's Arch rims. The build is nice and stiff and has been trouble free so far. I'm about 165lbs.

My buddy laced up a wheelset at the same time with the same hubs/spokes but used Stan's Flow rims instead for a little wider footprint. He is about your size. I think this combo might be a good fit for what you are looking for, with the added bonus of easy tubless setup if you ever decide to go that way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I went with 32 h Flows on XT hubs and I haven't had a problem since. I'm 210 and 5 11 Tubeless is easy and the rims have taken a lot of bashing.

Thatís no moon.
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyc
    XT hubs that came laced to some shitty Mavic wheels
    Those aren't Mavic A-317s, by chance?
    Got a set of those with XT hubs and they have been okay so far, but I'm a light guy.
    2015 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    2016 Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    I had a pair of xt hubs laced to 36h Salsa Semi rims. They are heavyish but I wanted wheels that I didn't have to worry about when touring/bikepacking and they are bombproof. I've ridden the GDMBR with lots of weight on them, another month dirt/pave in Montana/Canada, the Colorado Trail and lots of other shorter rides, well over 8000miles in 2 seasons and they have only needed truing once after the GDMBR(1mm out), no broken spokes, no rim damage and no flats! I did just have to put new cones in the front hub but that's not bad after so many loaded miles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyc
    Thanks for the reply. I will watch for these too. What about spoke set? What spoke set did you use?

DT comps on my halo/xt wheelset

Members who have read this thread: 0