Help me spend my money- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Help me spend my money

My fuel ex cracked. And trek may be replacing it may not. Anyways Iím looking to go a different direction. Just bought a house and Iím selling my beloved hardtail to only have one bike. Itís came down to a frame up build with some parts from my fuel ex. Namely a 140 34 elite, and some i9s. Drivetrain brakes all that good stuff.

Im looking at a transition smuggler alloy, or an Ibis Ripley v3. Not v4 because Fanatik has them closeout.

So for one do eveeytging from shuttle laps to a gravel grind up to the top of the downhill, and flat trails. What should I be looking for? Namely how does the ripley descend?

What matters is pedaling efficiency, and ability to just take a beating.

Wanna ride bikes?
    So you want it to climb like an XC bike and descend like a DH bike. You're all over the map. (someone insert Pivot Firebird joke)

Why don't you explain what you would change about your Fuel ex, or what you're looking for specifically. "something different" could mean a lot of things.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    So you want it to climb like an XC bike and descend like a DH bike. You're all over the map. (someone insert Pivot Firebird joke)

Why don't you explain what you would change about your Fuel ex, or what you're looking for specifically. "something different" could mean a lot of things.
    I never really could pinpoint what i didnít like about the trek. I felt over tjenrear a lot in climbing, and just the bleh nature of the bike wasnít very appealing. It wasnít
    Bad... it just never really was that impressive. Someone called it the Toyota carolla of mtbs and I couldnít agree more. Didnít do anything terribly but didnít do anything great either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Help me spend my money

Wrong post

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Sounds like you want a bike that will handle some decent downhill runs, still climb reasonably well, and will otherwise be a good, fun, and dependable all-around bike. Might I suggest the Trek Fuel EX? lol.
    Sounds like you're suffering from Brand Name Complex Disorder. Put some random stickers over the Trek logos and enjoy the free replacement frame, then put the unspent money into a retirement account.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
    Sounds like you want a bike that will handle some decent downhill runs, still climb reasonably well, and will otherwise be a good, fun, and dependable all-around bike. Might I suggest the Trek Fuel EX? lol.
    Sounds like you're suffering from Brand Name Complex Disorder. Put some random stickers over the Trek logos and enjoy the free replacement frame, then put the unspent money into a retirement account.
    Not very likely theyíll warranty it. It was an impact damage to the down tube from presumably a rock. Theyíll offer 20% off a frame. Which is still almost 3k.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hbnel5on View Post
    Not very likely theyíll warranty it. It was an impact damage to the down tube from presumably a rock. Theyíll offer 20% off a frame. Which is still almost 3k.
    Carbon frame? You could probably have it repaired for under $400
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Get something with more travel like a Ripmo. Still pedals well and is a much better option going down. Or a Yeti 130 if you're want a little more efficiency. Lots of good pedaling mid travel options out there now. EDIT: Didn't see the 140 fork you'll be using. I'd still look for a little more travel if you want to shuttle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyfnz View Post
    Get something with more travel like a Ripmo. Still pedals well and is a much better option going down. Or a Yeti 130 if you're want a little more efficiency. Lots of good pedaling mid travel options out there now. EDIT: Didn't see the 140 fork you'll be using. I'd still look for a little more travel if you want to shuttle.
    I donít shuttle often.. More earning my turns

mtbr member

Help me spend my money

Iím assuming your fuel was a 29r cause you want to build a smuggler with the parts. I think the best value is possibly the gt sensor. Its almost an exact smuggler copy. I had one, the bike is so stiff, itís remarkable. And so is the price: $1800 usd for a carbon frame. But itís got a vary sharp, racey feel. I like my bikes to plow and hit big jumps at speed, so I agree with the above, more travel is worth the small climbing trade off. If I was riding intermediate trails all the time I would have kept it. Itís a very fun and confident bike for trail riding and light park duty.

NedwannaB
    I donít shuttle often.. More earning my turns
    Yeah I hear you. Not sure why most equate shuttling with only having a DH bike. Sounds like you're fine to stay in the same travel range as the FEX.
    So is it $3k for the replacement frame or after the 20% discount? You should be able to get either the Smuggler or V3 Ripley frames for less. Only thing would be which offset your fork has as you may have a 51 and Transitions run a 44-46 I think.

If economics are hindering then the carbon fix OS suggested is the way to go. But, if you are able to afford spending what the Trek replacement would be after discount but really wanted to try something different than by all means ignore the naysayers and go that route.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Yeah I hear you. Not sure why most equate shuttling with only having a DH bike. Sounds like you're fine to stay in the same travel range as the FEX.
    So is it $3k for the replacement frame or after the 20% discount? You should be able to get either the Smuggler or V3 Ripley frames for less. Only thing would be which offset your fork has as you may have a 51 and Transitions run a 44-46 I think.

If economics are hindering then the carbon fix OS suggested is the way to go. But, if you are able to afford spending what the Trek replacement would be after discount but really wanted to try something different than by all means ignore the naysayers and go that route.
    My 140 actually came off of a smuggler! So itís the shorter offset. Yeah Iím ignoring what they say. I donít want another fuel ex, and I am looking at the ripley or the smuggler. And donít want a 160 bike haha I like the precision or short travel and the all around fun.

since 4/10/2009
    I donít want another fuel ex, and I am looking at the ripley or the smuggler.
    Then repair the fuel ex frame, sell it, and use it to help offset the cost of whatever. to find that whatever - it's bike demo season. go ride some shit.

and lol at 140mm being "short travel"

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Rocky Mountain Instinct (BC edition if you need more travel) but that's a 140 front/rear with very good peddling manners and can handle some chunk on the downs.