Help me pick a new short travel 29er!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Help me pick a new short travel 29er!

Yea I know you've gotta ride the bikes before you can decide but that's not always possible especially in canuckistan. Also some bikes I'm potentially interested in dont even have dealers within 1500 miles of where I live so it'll be like choosing a mail order bride.

The Terrain: I do 99% of my riding in the province of Saskatchewan. Our trails would be best described as tight xc single track with some pitchy and technical short descents and climbs that follow river valley's. No booters, no huge gaps, drops etc just some fun fast single track with some little hits. Our terrain would be considered on the smoother side mostly dirt, some sand. They arent choppy and rocky so they only require a bike with "modern xc" travel as a maximum so anything else is just added weight and slows you down.

The rider: Experienced trail rider that spends a few thousand KM in the trails 12 months a year whether it's on a fat bike at -40C or summer on my xc/trail bikes and I'm not interested in racing.

Bike history: Over the last few years I've ridden Giant Talons, Reigns, 27.5 anthem sx and just sold my 2019 advanced anthem 29er to move onto something new. I found the anthem 29er to be the fastest bike I've ridden on our trails to date but when riding the anthem I just found myself riding it more like a race bike and it was less fun than trail bike if that makes sense to anyone but i loved the move to 29er wheels.

The current bike: Riding the trails with my winter bike, a 2019 Farley 9.6 in summer mode with a bluto and some 3.8 hodags(bought fork and tires solely to ride it before I choose a new FS bike) and I hate to say but I'm having more fun on it than I ever did my anthem 29er. Its just more playful, I'm more interested in all the little hits and therefore it's making the trails alot more fun to ride VS just going fast which I felt all the anthem did well.

My initial thoughts were to wait for the 2020 treks and pick up the "new" top fuel model but now I'm leaning towards ordering something entirely different or even having my shop build something up for me.

After reading my brief history what else would you suggest for me? I'm pretty open and would love to try something new or even build a bike from one of the smaller companys. I'm sure theres some options I'm not even aware of as I'm not always on here or pinkbike to stay up to date.

I would prefer to stick to a carbon frame, the only thing I miss about the anthem was that it weighed 27 pounds.

My budget is about 6000 Canadian so $4500 usd

Thanks.

Help me pick a new short travel 29er!-img_20190328_190954_343.jpg

mtbr member
    The new Druid. Hands down best suspension layout in 130mm travel!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleMtnSlayer View Post
    Wow those looks great just read a few reviews. Unfortunately 4000 cdn for a frame and shock comes closer to $5000 after shipping duty taxes to my door so it only leaves me with $1000 cdn to build it. Trying to stay below 4500 usd or 6000 Canadian

It would also be overkill for our local xc race style trails

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    New Spot Ryve 4-star build?

Pretty solid pricing for the build kits/quality, suspension design is very 'racy' but can definitely be playful and fun if you travel with the bike a bit. I have a Mayhem from them and just ordered a Ryve for riding as you describe and a bit more trail stuff. I'm in Alberta and the Ryve will be for local fast trail rides and West Bragg creek stuff if you know the area and the Mayhem is for trips to BC and abroad.

Barely in control
    Smooth climbs call for higher AS bikes, so I'd look at the Pivot, ibis, Spot, etc...

Formerly of Kent
    In what world is a 150mm/130mm bike an ideal bike for the XC riding that the OP describes?
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    If you want a good bike at a great price the Fezzari bikes are pretty solid. Check out the Signal Peak!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    In what world is a 150mm/130mm bike an ideal bike for the XC riding that the OP describes?
    Yes I'm leaning towards more of 100/120 to 120/130 bike at max. Anything else is overkill

orthonormal
    The latest Norco Revolver sounds like it's worth considering. 100/100 and 120/120 options at multiple pricepoints.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    A year later, I'm still loving my carbon Smuggler and would get another.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    GG Trail Pistol can be set at 120mm. Carbon frame is made in house.
    28 lbs.
    https://ridegg.com/trailpistol-ride-1
    You can customize the build. Even starting with a bare frame.
    I like a Manitou Mattoc Pro and McLeod.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saskrider View Post
    Yes I'm leaning towards more of 100/120 to 120/130 bike at max. Anything else is overkill
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    The latest Norco Revolver sounds like it's worth considering. 100/100 and 120/120 options at multiple pricepoints.
    Since you're in Canadia, why not the Norco or RM Element 50.

Other suggestion: I demo'd a Scott Spark 910 and really liked it. Not sure how you feel about lockout, but once I started fiddling with it, I kinda liked it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Trance 29? Lots of what you liked in the Anthem but a bit more fun.

mtbr member
    I dont know about pricing in canada but these are worth checking out:
    Salsa spearfish
    Cannondale Scalpel
    Pivot Trail 429
    Bmc fourstroke or agonist
    Santa cruz blur
    My name is George. Im unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    GG Trail Pistol can be set at 120mm. Carbon frame is made in house.
    28 lbs.
    https://ridegg.com/trailpistol-ride-1
    You can customize the build. Even starting with a bare frame.
    I like a Manitou Mattoc Pro and McLeod.
    This!!!
    I just got my GG The Smash the other day and all I can say is DAMN! Once I sort the fork out, she will be an absolute BEAST. The TP was on my list but I decided that I wanted more travel vs. less travel from my current/old trail bike (2014 Spesh Stumpjumper FSR Clone).

That would be another good one to look at is the Stumpjumper line or the Fuel EX line. Both are great bikes and pretty good prices, if you can wait till end of season to pick-up you could potentially save a decent amount of cash.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    In a world where people recommend bikes based on never riding it and ignoring the actual request.

You know, sort of like EB and plus tires for everything. Which I notice he didn't mention- wonder if someone hacked his account?
    OG Ripley v2
    Ripley v4

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    OP I'd wait a little if you can.

Ibis is releasing something soon- it may be what you're after and rumor is the updated Pivot 429 SL should be coming as well.
    OG Ripley v2
    Ripley v4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    In a world where people recommend bikes based on never riding it and ignoring the actual request.

You know, sort of like EB and plus tires for everything. Which I notice he didn't mention- wonder if someone hacked his account?
    Hahahahahahaha
    I've ridden a 150 bike in my local terrain when I didnt really understand how it would ride here.... never again.

mtbr member
    I recently built up a Evil Following. Bike is super fun on twisty singletrack. Bike feels really responsive when linking turns...even at lower speeds. It's also real easy to lift up the front end...makes me want to pop off everything I see.

mtbr member

Ibis is releasing something soon- it may be what you're after and rumor is the updated Pivot 429 SL should be coming as well.
    Right on I'm waiting for the 2020 drops! My fatbike isnt the worste ride for the time being.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It's funny TTone commenting on someone's reading comprehension.
    Find a post where I recommend Plus tires. Its never happened. Find one.

What I recommend is wider rims when someone is looking for a new wheelset or asking if their 21mm rims will work.
    Usually aimed at getting them more performance at lower pressures if the terrain and speed allows it.
    Not for DH.
    Usually with high volume rounded tread profile tires designed for that use that I personally know will work.
    All tires aren't the same.
    Good reading.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    It's funny TTone commenting on someone's reading comprehension.
    Find a post where I recommend Plus tires. Its never happened. Find one.

What I recommend is wider rims when someone is looking for a new wheelset or asking if their 21mm rims will work.
    Usually aimed at getting them more performance at lower pressures if the terrain and speed allows it.
    Not for DH.
    Usually with high volume rounded tread profile tires designed for that use that I personally know will work.
    All tires aren't the same.
    Good reading.
    Short memory. When recommending bikes/frame you suggest one that fits plus. You done it so much I'm not the only that makes jokes about it.

Keep doing you
    OG Ripley v2
    Ripley v4

mtbr member
    I have rode a few times in Saskatoon and suggest minimal travel. One of the newer, not super steep XC bikes will be spot on. You will still be ok when travelling.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for I suck at brake control. Heres a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If you want a good bike at a great price the Fezzari bikes are pretty solid. Check out the Signal Peak!
    Yup, Fezzari bikes are well made, good spec, low price, killer warranty, I ride my Signal Peak quite a bit, used mostly for long mellow rides and lunch laps, and though it's not as cushy as my enduro bike, it's way faster and so much easier on my legs.

I'm sure you could spend more, and maybe he ride would be better???, but for my needs I find the Signal Peak to work well.

If I wanted one bike and I decided on a 29er, I'd look hard at the Devinci offerings like the Django (aluminnum is welded in CAN, carbon is Asian) or the new GG Trail Pistol (molder in CO).
    For Sale: XMed GG Smash Frameset +
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Short memory. When recommending bikes/frame you suggest one that fits plus. You done it so much I'm not the only that makes jokes about it.

Keep doing you

Wrong again. I recommend the NS Scout 290 Sport as a starter. It has space for a 2.6 tire at the rear not a Plus. It doesn't come with the 2.6. But it has 29mm rims for a good range of choice.

But you can't even read your own posts. Saying I recommend Plus tires. Tires are not bikes.

mtbr member
    Santacruz blur S (check review on pinkbike) or maybe that elusive soon to be release new bike from Ibis...
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2017 Devinci Hatchet Carbon
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo spring '19...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Orbea OCCAM TR 130/120
    Orbea OIZ TR 120/120
    Eminent ONset 130/120
    Intense Sniper 120/120

Downcountry AF
    Being that you in Canada, Devinci Django. It's not super aggro. DEVINCI - DJANGO CARBON GX

I like Norco and Rocky Mountain stuff but I'm less familiar with those brands personally. I read good things though.

Also like the Pivot 429, Transition Smuggler, and Ibis Ripley (but take note of the short reach). Possibly a Salsa Horsethief?

I love my Kona Hei Hei CR/DL (100/120) with a Fox 34. Super fun bike but I'm not sure if that's too racy for you?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Ibis Ripley. Perfect bike for described trails. 29er with 27.5 playfulness.

mtbr member
    Have you looked at the Banshee Phantom? XC travel, not XC geo or intent. Pretty sure it's a Canadian brand, too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Check out Norco Canada's website: 20 to 30% discounts on 2018 models.
    I just ordered a 2018 Optic A9.1 for less than $CAD 3,000 (Pike, XT), saw they also have to carbon C3 for about $CAD 3,000.
    https://www.norco.com/bikes/2018/mountain/
    The Quebeco-Flandrien in B.C....

SC SuperLight

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Evil Following? 120 rear, ready to party!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    You can buy my 2019 Trance 29 with DVO suspension and XO1 :-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by play time View Post
    You can buy my 2019 Trance 29 with DVO suspension and XO1 :-)
    Where can you buy the above for the ops budget of $4500usd?

mtbr member

Yea Im waiting to see what the new 429SL geometry will be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by claystrick View Post
    Yea Im waiting to see what the new 429SL geometry will be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hard part is not even a peep from them and new bike buying time is now for this years riding season. If nothing from them in the next two weeks it'll be time to move and pick one of the current choices.
    OG Ripley v2
    Ripley v4

mtbr member
    From experience, I would recomend the Santa Cruz Tallboy. That bike was pretty fast on the trail, excellent climber, and super fun on the downs. Really capable bike for a 120/110 travel bike. I also had a 2019 SJ ST 29 C comp, and I would recomend that bike as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bikenut316 View Post
    Where can you buy the above for the ops budget of $4500usd?
    New Zealand!

one sick puppy
    I too vote for the Tallboy. Great pedaling bike. Good climber.
    Saddle up, Effendi. We ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Get the Ibis Ripley v4 that is coming out this week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Is the tallboy considered old school geo with it's slack seat angle?

Quote Originally Posted by bikenut316 View Post
    Is the tallboy considered old school geo with it's slack seat angle?

Even it is considered "oldschool" it's still a great bike imho.
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hard part is not even a peep from them and new bike buying time is now for this years riding season. If nothing from them in the next two weeks it'll be time to move and pick one of the current choices.
    Every year there will be new bikes, old bikes with revisions, it's a never ending cycle.

We're at a point now where even bikes that are four or five years old still have a good ride quality and perform nearly as good as the newest and best.

So yeah, no reason to angst over small changes, better to have a bike to ride through the spring/summer than to wait for a new production model that might show up before winter.

Time in the saddle is much more valuable than what you have parked in the garage.
    For Sale: XMed GG Smash Frameset +
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SoaD009 View Post
    Get the Ibis Ripley v4 that is coming out this week.
    This bike looks great!