Help me with paint - colors, favorite bike paintjob?- Mtbr.com

Feb 2006

Help me with paint - colors, favorite bike paintjob?

I'm building a steel 29er and I'm having trouble picking a color. Been thinking about a few that I like but I was hoping to see some examples of your favorites (yours or ones you've seen). I've looked at some paint jobs I was able to find by using the search function but nothing really grabs me so far...... thanks in advance for your pics.

Feb 2006

Apr 2005

more details?

Can you tell us what kind of frame and if you are getting the fork painted to match? If not, what color fork? I agree that orange bikes look great, personally I like the orange w/ silver and/or light blue. Have you checked out the pics on www.spectrumpowderworks.com or www.waterfordbikes.com? They have some cool ideas in their galleries. Personally, I like simple, solid colors. One place I have looked at for colors is classic cars. Here is a site that shows three different years worth of colors for ford thunderbirds. http://www.portholeauthority.com/thu.../colors57.html I love fifties colors. Have fun w/ your choice.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesRfun
    I'm building a steel 29er and I'm having trouble picking a color. Been thinking about a few that I like but I was hoping to see some examples of your favorites (yours or ones you've seen). I've looked at some paint jobs I was able to find by using the search function but nothing really grabs me so far...... thanks in advance for your pics.
    some of it depends on what other colors you are thinking (or already have from parts)......such as any colored headsets, hubs, skewers, etc.....

for my current build I too am struggling. for me, it will all depend on which wheelset i go with since different hubs afford different colors that i will want to match the frame.

i love this orange though
    Attached Images Attached Images

Harmonius Wrench

Well, I can tell you what NOT to do

Whatever you do, don't paint it green! While that is one of my favorite colors, there must be a thousand green 29"ers already. Kona's, Surlys, Niners, and VooDoos come to mind right away. Heck, even that Monocog 29"er is some shade of green, isn't it?

I also am a fan of orange, but that is one of the colors du jour, so be carefull!

Flames are tired!

Now, for some constructive suggestions..........

Panels and fades are classic on bikes.

Pastels exude class, in my opinion.

Crazy "bass boat" sparkle is pretty cool!

And finally, the recent crop of powder coat with pearlescent effect is killer!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Nov 2005

Air brush and clear coat

Check out the Colnago bikes...beautiful paint jobs...dare I say ART minature color paintings of racers and islands on the frame. high dollar for sure, but really breathtaking in my book.

Find a good artist and pay the price.

I wanted to get a frame painted to either look like an honest to god TURD, or pile of vomit (I am a bit strange like that), but did not want to afford such a paint job.

another thing to consider if you get a high end paint job....will you faithfully clean and polish this bike, or will the paint be typically hidden behind a thin coating of dust/dead bugs/trail grit like mine?

What ever you do, post a picture here when you do it. Everyone loves to see a nice bike.

Feb 2006
    [QUOTE=beegirl]Can you tell us what kind of frame and if you are getting the fork painted to match? If not, what color fork?

It's a Ted Wojcik hardtail with (most likely) Paragon sliding dropouts. Fork is a black '06 Reba which will most likely not be painted to match. Components are pretty much all black. I think I'd prefer to go with a single color for this frame. I've been leaning towards either (see pics) a medium blue (maybe just a little darker than this WW's), a copperish-orange (the Badger) or the IF whose color is either "candy absinthe" or "split pea green" (which is much, much better looking in person). I also can't get candy apple red outta my head though..... ugh!

Nat
    mtbr member
    I do like that copper-orange Badger.

AOK
    mtbr member
    Wow... I like the color on that Badger. Haven't seen that pic before.

No Justice = No Peace

Any questions?

"Welcome to my underground lair...."

Student of the Bike
    Here are somoe photos of my new Waltworks. I'm currently having some silver AC hubs laced to silver Stans Olympics. It should be light...and pretty

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CBaron
    Here are somoe photos of my new Waltworks. I'm currently having some silver AC hubs laced to silver Stans Olympics. It should be light...and pretty
    Sweet - did you do the airbrush work yourself?

LP

Student of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by lanpope
    Sweet - did you do the airbrush work yourself?

LP
    No I had a guy here locally do it for me. He's a tattoo artist who also does airbrush work.

www.badgercycles.com

Badger color

Just in case you want to go with the copper/orange Badger color its a House of Kolor BC02 solar silver base coat with House of Kolor UK08 kandy tangerine over top. That should save you some pain and suffering when trying to match that color.

34N 118W

bare nekkid

I've only seen photos, but a bare steel frame that's been fillet brazed then powder coated with a clear coat......hooooo MAMA! that there is a sexy bike. Photos anyone?

not sure how your builder builds. Welds may not have the same effect. I'd do my (brazed) Curtlo like that if I had it to do over. Man...

edit: couldn't find the thread, I swear it was a Ground Up. Here's a sample:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...29189#poststop
    Last edited by Hollywood; 02-19-2006 at 12:20 AM.

Interlectchewal

::: C U R T I S B I K E S :::

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    I've only seen photos, but a bare steel frame that's been fillet brazed then powder coated with a clear coat......hooooo MAMA! that there is a sexy bike. Photos anyone?
    Here's one of my absolute favorites:

More here.

Interlectchewal
    It's a Ted Wojcik hardtail with (most likely) Paragon sliding dropouts. . . . or the IF whose color is either "candy absinthe" or "split pea green" (which is much, much better looking in person).
    Is that Belmont Wheelworks in the picture? I saw that exact bike there a few weeks ago. One of the nicest bikes I've ever seen. I'm not really a fan of the pink anodized stuff, but it just looks right on that bike.

Here's some pictures of a similar bike. This one has silver A317's, Chris King rather than Phil Wood, and lacks the graffiti-style writing on the downtube.

I'm thinking about a Wojcik with Paragon dropouts, too, if I can sell a couple of bikes in the next few weeks. I haven't decided on 26" vs. 29".

( )
    Nov 2004
    [QUOTE=bikesRfun]
    Quote Originally Posted by beegirl
    Can you tell us what kind of frame and if you are getting the fork painted to match? If not, what color fork?

It's a Ted Wojcik hardtail with (most likely) Paragon sliding dropouts. Fork is a black '06 Reba which will most likely not be painted to match. Components are pretty much all black. I think I'd prefer to go with a single color for this frame. I've been leaning towards either (see pics) a medium blue (maybe just a little darker than this WW's), a copperish-orange (the Badger) or the IF whose color is either "candy absinthe" or "split pea green" (which is much, much better looking in person). I also can't get candy apple red outta my head though..... ugh!

I've seen that pea green IF in person at a LBS. It is beautiful, but I'd love to see it without the pink graphics, but that's just me

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tvrbob86
    Is that Belmont Wheelworks in the picture? I saw that exact bike there a few weeks ago. One of the nicest bikes I've ever seen. I'm not really a fan of the pink anodized stuff, but it just looks right on that bike.

Here's some pictures of a similar bike. This one has silver A317's, Chris King rather than Phil Wood, and lacks the graffiti-style writing on the downtube.

I'm thinking about a Wojcik with Paragon dropouts, too, if I can sell a couple of bikes in the next few weeks. I haven't decided on 26" vs. 29".

The pic is from Interbike but yes, that bike is at Belmont Wheelworks now. The pics you attached are actually the same frame - IF repainted it for Interbike (all the pink lettering was handpainted). I really like the 29ers so I'd say build one up!

Nov 2005

wow...that is funny

Quote Originally Posted by CBaron
    He's a tattoo artist who also does airbrush work.
    The guy I talked to is a Tatoo artist too...who also does air brush work. I think a tatoo shop would be a great place for ideas for paint too. some of the stuff they have in those books is cool, and can give you ideas.

its a personal decision how to paint a bike, but like others have suggested...probably not going to be happy with the color of the day....a few years from now. Black never seems to go out of style, but your own creation will always be special...just dont get your girlfriend's name painted on it!

ken

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by robpennell
    Just in case you want to go with the copper/orange Badger color its a House of Kolor BC02 solar silver base coat with House of Kolor UK08 kandy tangerine over top. That should save you some pain and suffering when trying to match that color.
    Hey Rob - thanks so much for the color info! Does this color look pretty much the same in person as it does in this pic - or is it a bit darker or lighter? FYI - this is my first choice as of this moment......

www.badgercycles.com
    Hey Rob - thanks so much for the color info! Does this color look pretty much the same in person as it does in this pic - or is it a bit darker or lighter? FYI - this is my first choice as of this moment......
    In a room or on a cloudy day it looks like in the pics but put it in the sunlight it glows like its plugged in or something. Up close you can see through the Kandy and its like looking at tin foil under stained orange water. When in the sun the silver reflects the light back to you. I forwarded this thread to the owner. She will be able explain it better than I did. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood

not sure how your builder builds. Welds may not have the same effect. I'd do my (brazed) Curtlo like that if I had it to do over. Man...

edit: couldn't find the thread, I swear it was a Ground Up. Here's a sample:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...29189#poststop
    Here you go, I can post more shots if you want.

R32

Feb 2006

Copper Orange Badger

Yup, pretty darn close to it. In the sun it absolutely sings. Final results and color of Kandy paint depends on how many coats are applied. It is a bit of a transparent paint. On my frame I had it laid down over the solar silver. That silver has a texture to it that shows below the smooth Kandy tangerine. It almost makes an anodized look but more shiny.

I agonized for weeks over how I wanted to paint it. Spent time looking through pages of pics at Spectrum and many other sites for inspiration. In the end this is what I came up with. It's been a long time since I had a painted steel frame and am very happy with the final results.

You can see more pics of it at Badger Cyles site in the gallery.
    www.badgercycles.com

btw, the bike isn't just pretty, it rides super too!
    Last edited by R32; 02-19-2006 at 07:34 AM.

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by R32
    Yup, pretty darn close to it. In the sun it absolutely sings. Final results and color of Kandy paint depends on how many coats are applied. It is a bit of a transparent paint. On my frame I had it laid down over the solar silver. That silver has a texture to it that shows below the smooth Kandy tangerine. It almost makes an anodized look but more shiny.

I agonized for weeks over how I wanted to paint it. Spent time looking through pages of pics at Spectrum and many other sites for inspiration. In the end this is what I came up with. It's been a long time since I had a painted steel frame and am very happy with the final results.

You can see more pics of it at Badger Cyles site in the gallery.
    www.badgercycles.com

btw, the bike isn't just pretty, it rides super too!
    Thanks for the paint info! Your description, along with the one from Rob, really helps. I like the look of the color in the pic so maybe throwing on a few more coats would help to "darken" it a bit more??? Anyway, thanks again. Man, I love having this forum!

R32

Feb 2006

To darken the orange

Thanks for the paint info! Your description, along with the one from Rob, really helps. I like the look of the color in the pic so maybe throwing on a few more coats would help to "darken" it a bit more??? Anyway, thanks again. Man, I love having this forum!
    It isn't an exact science with Kandy paint (based on paint swatches I looked at). You might try a slightly darker base color (than the silver I used), alternatively more coats of the Tangerine could darken it. Depends on the direction you want it to go.

I went to an auto paint supplier to look at the House of Kolor swatches. They have a series of base coats under each of their colors.

The cool thing about this combo is how the 'texture' of the silver comes up throught the transparent tangerine. The silver panel on the downtube is the base coat color.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    this is my sugar I painted with a gold to brandywine fade job, I airbrushed the lettering to look like granite.

Work Shed...
    whoa painterdude, thats wicked!!! How much to repaint my frame exactly like that, but green?!
    It's not hip hop, it's electro.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Does anyone have a purple bike?

I am thinking of color on my in-process SS frame. I was thinking a reddish or plum type purple. Anyone have any pictures to share?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    heres my plum candy 293.
    Last edited by painterdude; 02-22-2006 at 10:38 AM.

Jan 2006

Puke splatter is the bomb

I like UNITs idea of painting a turd or vomit all over the bike. I am sick in the head like that though. In fact the guys I ride with have jerseys made with vomit like splatter all over the front.

You know I would totaly paint my frame but I need to save grams, so i forgo the paint and sick with bare alluminum, save me 702 grams! Thats not even counting the holes i drill into the frame. I am nuts like that, and I even vomit before each ride so I can save more grams.

Bloody hell! I knew I had a problem with purging my little belly, but I didnt realize how obsesed I was over saving grams. I need help.

Bloak! Paint the vomit on the frame and call it the HURLER!
    Go TEAM HURL, GO!

Members who have read this thread: 0