Help me make up mind- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Help me make up mind

Get to buy one bike this year. Have my trusty KM SS but since I moved to S. Cal. looking at some gears too. Here is the trip up. I'd like to try a CX bike(a Lemond Poprad) for a fireroad bomber, but would a Fisher X-Cal work just as good or better? Have the big wheels, roll faster but be able to take most all trails too. It does look like the CX bike would work for fireroads around here. Anyone ever have the same dilema?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vcyclist
    Get to buy one bike this year. Have my trusty KM SS but since I moved to S. Cal. looking at some gears too. Here is the trip up. I'd like to try a CX bike(a Lemond Poprad) for a fireroad bomber, but would a Fisher X-Cal work just as good or better? Have the big wheels, roll faster but be able to take most all trails too. It does look like the CX bike would work for fireroads around here. Anyone ever have the same dilema?
    a cx bike may be great for the fireroads around here, but the x-cal would rock the FR's too and also allow you to explore all the singletracks and offshoots you'll be riding right by. I't's amazing how much fun you can have, and such a different workout, on a paralleling singletrack to a fireroad, great way to mix up normal workouts, etc. Also many rides and loops in SoCal combine FR and ST.

no brainer IMO... a real 29er for sure

Not because I'm fast.....
    I rode a geared cyclocross bike ( Jamis Nova) on most of the trails in SoCal for a couple years and it was a blast. Maybe consider a Surly Cross Check for the riding purpose you described. The cross check with some 700x44 mutanos or 700x45 panaracer fire cross tires would give you something in between a skinny-tired cross bike and a true 29er MTB. The cross check is the perfect exploration bike in my opinion. Good at everything.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0