Help Me Choose My “Last Bike Forever”.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

Help Me Choose My “Last Bike Forever”.

I’m on mobile phone right now so I’ll try to keep it short and let you all ask any questions you’d like that might help you help me.

I have ave a few bikes now, and I want to sell them all and buy or build one bike that will be so overbuilt I’ll never worry about another one.

I have a two year old, so I don’t get to ride strictly road or mtb enough to justify separate high end bikes. Ideally, I can build a hard tail frame and keep two wheel sets. Slick, and knobbies.

This is is more of a “what would you do” so that I can gather ideas for my decision.

Parameters are:

29er
    hardtail
    dropper post
    two wheel sets (carbon preferred)
    no preference for 1x or 2x
    no aggressive geometry
    $6,000 USD limit

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Custom frame in 853 or titanium. Local builder.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Yeah I’ve thought of letting a lbs do it

slow
    If I had to sell all but one of my bikes, I'd probably keep my 853 steel hardtail. In the 11 months since I got it, I have ridden it more than any of my other bikes. I have 2 sets of wheels for it (running 700x32 cyclocross tires and 29 x 2.4 MTB tires) and 2 forks, rigid Surly Ogre fork and a REBA.

The drivetrain is a 2x, but is biased toward low gearing so I plan to increase chainring size for pavement and gravel. I'd also consider a bike that would fit + tires next time around.

-1005181228a.jpg

-0418190637c.jpg

-0316191100a.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    If I had to sell all but one of my bikes, I'd probably keep my 853 steel hardtail. In the 11 months since I got it, I have ridden it more than any of my other bikes. I have 2 sets of wheels for it (running 700x32 cyclocross tires and 29 x 2.4 MTB tires) and 2 forks, rigid Surly Ogre fork and a REBA.

The drivetrain is a 2x, but is biased toward low gearing so I plan to increase chainring size for pavement and gravel. I'd also consider a bike that would fit + tires next time around.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1005181228a.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	1251942

Name:	0418190637c.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	278.6 KB 
ID:	1251944

Name:	0316191100a.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	384.1 KB 
ID:	1251945
    Great stuff and nice bike! Thanks for the comment.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Ibis DV9 GX with 2 sets of carbon wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Trek Supercal when it's released. Be aware of reach and head tube angles. Not many hardtails are up to date with geo yet. DV9 has short reach. The SC Chameleon is better.

This place needs an enema
    If I could only have one bike and if it had to be a hardtail, it'd be a Trek Stache.

Such a fun, capable chassis.

29+ wheels/tires for dirt, then swap a wheelset with some 29 x 2" slicks on when the need arises.

Yup, that's what I'd do.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    If I could only have one bike and if it had to be a hardtail, it'd be a Trek Stache.

29+ wheels/tires for dirt, then swap a wheelset with some 29 x 2" slicks on when the need arises.

Yup, that's what I'd do.
    I think I agree with him for the first time ever

mtbr member

Yup, that's what I'd do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    I think I agree with him for the first time ever
    I just want to say listen to them. If something were to happen to mine I would get another. It is an amazing bike.
    Change begins by doing something different.

mtbr member
    You have a 2 year old.
    Your LAST bike? That's ridiculous!
    I just got back from Moab with my youngest son who's 27. You've got about half a dozen - or more - "last bikes" ahead of you. Don't be so dramatic.

I'll be 67 in August....I'm not even on my last bike.

EXORCIZE
    I hate when people take issue with the OP itself, but I can't help it here. With that budget, I'd much rather ride a used $1.5k road bike on the road than a $6k mountain bike on the road. Then spend $4.5k on the mountain bike.

Co Springs
    Great question OP.... I'm enjoying the responses and ideas.

I too, realize its called your "last bike forever" but there are hopefully lots of tomorrows and opportunities come with time so who knows?

If you are or get to be a middle-aged or an older man, I'll plug in a vote for a bike that fits plus tires. You may not want them right away but the option could be a serious + pun not intended.
    At not quite 58, my recent (possibly last bike) purchase is a hardtail with plus tires and it's a combination of Fun, Capable and a compliant ride considering many old farts go to full sus just for the cushion.
    Best of luck on your next bike.

bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again. :madman:

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I know it's not on your list, but if I had to have one bike for life it would be a fat bike w/ three wheel sets (4.8" tires, 29+, and obv 29er). That ability really appeals to me...but enough to have just ONE bike! haha

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What Mike said, Stache or similar.

That said, it’s a dumb question, esp coming from someone who has lots of bikes now and is young.

If I had a two year old I’d do what my buddy did (who also a two year old): run what you have, be satisfied in the moment, then when you have more time and finances you go back to what you did before having kids.

I’m thinking this is less about picking a bike than it is about being a young parent; “early life crisis” 🙄
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

TOP TIER LURKER
    Vassago Optimus titanium frame, for starters.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Esker Heyduke for the win.

Modern geometry a classy finish and a beautiful steel ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    I hate when people take issue with the OP itself, but I can't help it here. With that budget, I'd much rather ride a used $1.5k road bike on the road than a $6k mountain bike on the road. Then spend $4.5k on the mountain bike.
    This is a great option, any thing “hybrid “ is not what any enthusiast wants. It might do many things but nothing well. I’ve considered many types of multiple use gear, fishing, surfing, snowboarding and even cars. Right tool for the job is best approach!

Monkey Wrangler
    My "last bike forever" was five bikes ago.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Goat View Post
    My "last bike forever" was five bikes ago.
    That's about right....on a sliding scale.

twa
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Another vote for the Stache. I love mine. The fat bike idea is a great one as well, so versatile.

transmitter~receiver
    get a tricycle
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member

Yup, that's what I'd do.
    Yeah, what he said. Spot on.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Maybe look at a Ritchie or Soma build. Also, consider nice but not so costly builds and get a cyclocross or all road bike with slicks. MTBs on the road are fine but not as efficient as a road bike 6K should cover both.

battle stag commander
    We have a wealth of bicycle fabricators here in the US, making really sweet hardtail bikes out of quality butted tubes. You have lots of options of standard geometry bikes and custom bikes.

Shout out to Myth Cycles, out of Durango, CO. Eric the owner let me Guinea pig a new stock geometry bike, the Slaypnir. with sliding dropouts $1600 You may also find interest in a less aggressive but very functional bike like his Wyvern or Talos. He builds with VariWall Tubes(mostly), formerly TrueTemper, Made in the USA.

...A few other stock geometry builders in the US doing cool things- Many of these builders stock geometry frames range from $1200-2000:

Chumba in TX
    Solace cycles NY
    Breadwinner in OR

just to name a few. then you have all the full custom builders. that list is gigantic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm with all the two bike people. Unless space is a giant concern, I can't see where one bike is a better answer with your budget.

You could probably find a frame that would never break, but all your other components are going to need to be replaced anyway over time if you ride a lot and nicer parts often actually wear out quickly (as their lighter) so a big budget doesn't really lead toward overbuilding to last forever. And a $1000 road bike is going to ride better on the road than a $6000 mountain bike no matter the wheels/tires on the bike.

But, if you're dead set on building a compromise single bike that will last as long as possible, sgltrak's suggestion seems as good as any. If I had to change the fork wheels all the time, though, I'd just get two bikes.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Dude, take a breath. Kids get older, make friends, play sports, have sleepovers, etc. You will find time to ride again and with more regularity as they get older. Keep what you got unless you’re looking for a reason/excuse to upgrade. Even then, separate road and mountain bikes makes more sense than what you’re proposing.