Help me build a Niner JET 9 or RIP 9- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Help me build a Niner JET 9 or RIP 9

Could you guys help me put together a really sweet Niner for a trip I知 planning? I値l be taking a several month trip and traveling around New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, Colorado and Utah. I値l be driving, but riding trails that locals recommend as I go. Not being from that region, I知 not sure exactly what setup would be best. May I ask each of you that are willing to help to first recommend either a RIP 9 or JET 9. Then with with the frame of your choice, recommend a build list for a really sweet bike. Have some fun with this! THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!!
    redheeler

mtbr member
    I think you will want a Rip9 for the best do everything bike. The Jet9 is more of an XC race bike. I believe you can get frame, fork, and wheel deals from Niner. They also offer 2 build packages. XT or SLX.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    When I am unsure about the terrain, I grab my RIP 9. It's a lot more fun than the Jet in a wider variety of terrain with a penalty of just a pound or two.

XT is a good, solid choice. I also really like SRAM X9 and XO.

There are a few specials going on right now that can save you a few hundred bucks on a RIP frame... Speedgoat would be worth checking out.

JMH

banned
    Sep 2007
    What size frame are you looking at, how much do you weigh, and are you familiar with SPD clip in pedals, and setting tires up tubeless with sealant, or tubed only?

http://bigkahunabicycles.com/product...build-1346.htm
    Last edited by Boyonabyke; 08-25-2010 at 04:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'd be needing a Large frame. I'm 6'0" and 205 lbs. I am familiar with SPD's, but prefer Crank Brothers. I'd like to make the move to tubeless tires.
    redheeler

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm leaning toward the RIP 9, so I'm glad to hear that. I have SRAM X9 on my Stumpjumper Comp 29. I do prefer SRAM for sure and would like to upgrade to XO on this next bike. Thanks!
    redheeler

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Have you ridden a large Niner frame? At 6' you might want to consider looking at a medium also. I would only consider the RIP but my XC (and only) bike is 38lb WFO.

Now what line of work do we all need to be in to plan a several month multi-state bike trip???

mtbr member
    Buddy of mine who's 6'-4" rides the XL.
    I'm 6'-2" and right at the top edge of the Large.
    At 6' the Large should be perfect for him.

Niners run BIG.

banned
    Sep 2007
    And I'm 6' 5, and I'm quite comfortable on a Large. YMMV. I would not run FAIL Brothers pedals in the rocks of New Mexico, Arizona, Utah or Colorado, ever, the RIP has pedal strikes quite frequently in these areas. Don't ask me how I know. I also wouldn't run SRAM XO rear derailleurs in those rocky areas either, would prefer X9 or XT. Do a search on Crank Brothers pedals and failures... it's the last thing you need to worry about on a big trip like this.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Cool! Thanks for that info, Randy Boy!
    redheeler

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I am 5' 10.5" and have a med Jet9 at 6' you will absolutely want a Large. I have ridden the Rip9 as well and would recommend the Rip over the Jet for long fun rides. Don't get me wrong I LOVE my Jet but a Rip is more forgiving. On the Jet you have to be on your game all the time no relaxing, thats what makes it fast.

code: mtbr2011
    i wouldn't run crap brothers pedals on the paved bike path! i had them on my new rip9 and could not release these pedals under load at all, forced me to crash 3 times when i couldn't clean an obstacle. i finally wised up and got some new xtr's.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    And I'm 6' 5, and I'm quite comfortable on a Large. YMMV. I would not run FAIL Brothers pedals in the rocks of New Mexico, Arizona, Utah or Colorado, ever, the RIP has pedal strikes quite frequently in these areas. Don't ask me how I know. I also wouldn't run SRAM XO rear derailleurs in those rocky areas either, would prefer X9 or XT. Do a search on Crank Brothers pedals and failures... it's the last thing you need to worry about on a big trip like this.
    i built a rip9 last month, and i love it! i am 5'10" 200, and i ride a medium. i rode a large santa cruz superlight prior to this. my build is in this thread. (minus the crankbrothers pedals...let me know if you want them - cheap!!)

I fall... a lot
    Feb 2009
    I helped my dad build a Jet 9 last month, its amazing bike, I would go with the Rip for what you are trying to do though. This is the build I would use
    1. Xt drive train, its the best for the money.
    2. Easton Monkey lite handle bars
    3. Thompson seat post
    4. Cane Creek Head set and Bottom bracket.
    5. Industry Nine Enduro 29er wheels. (the best)
    6. Avid Elixer CR breaks
    7. Fox float 29 120mm
    8. ODI lockjaw grips
    Finally, a great saddle. I personally like fizik Gobi, saddles are personal though. Enjoy your trip!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

... and if we just ...

I checked out your link and noted the components. Wow! Awesome bike! Thanks for the info and photos! I'm sure mine will wind up looking very similar.
    redheeler

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks, nurseman! That looks like an awesome setup!
    redheeler

Members who have read this thread: 0