Help ID the heavy parts on my new bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Help ID the heavy parts on my new bike

Just brought this Fuji from Performance Bike with mega discount. But the listed weight is 31.38 with a small frame. I threw in some of my own lighter parts on there, and a pair of spd. Just wondering down the road what are some of the components that can be replaced with minimum cost but major weight savings? I have a semi-high end Santa Cruz that I can do some part swap with, but then figured this bike is doesn't justify the high end XT/X9 stuffs.

I suspect the rockshox Dart 3 will be a good start to knock off a pound or so with a lighter fork?

Thanks

Main frame Fuji Altair 2 custom butted aluminum with PowerDiamond down tube, top tube/seat tube gusset, Hydro-formed top and down tube, Integrated head tube, double water bottle mounts
    Rear triangle Fuji Altair 2, custom tapered 7005 aluminum with Edge S-bend MonoStay, Cold forged dropout with CNC'D disc mount and replaceable hanger
    Fork Rock Shox Dart 3 29" w/Turn Key LO and 80mm Travel
    Crankset TruVativ 5D 3.0, 22/32/44T
    Bottom bracket Sealed Cartridge Bearing ST
    Pedals Shimano SPD PDM520
    Front derailleur SRAM X.5, 34.9mm
    Rear derailleur SRAM X.5
    Shifters SRAM X.5 Trigger, 27-speed
    Cassette Sunrace CSM969-AVOS, 11-32T 9-speed
    Chain KMC HG-73
    Front hub Fuji Sealed Bearing Disc, 32H
    Rear hub Fuji Sealed Bearing Disc, 32H
    Spokes 14G Stainless Steel
    Rims WTB SpeedDisc AM 29" DW, 32H
    Tires Continental Mountain King 29 X 2.2
    Tubes CST Lite presta
    Brake set Avid BB-5 Mechanical Disc w/Center Adjust, 160F/185R mm rotor
    Brake levers Avid FR-5 Forged Alloy 2 finger
    Headset V.P. A-42E 1 1/8" Press Fit Integrated, 30mm spacers
    Handlebar Easton Monkey light Carbon low rise
    Stem Fuji 3D Forged Al 1 1/8"
    Tape/grip Fuji Dual Density Kraton rubber
    Saddle WTB Devo
    Seat post Fuji Micro Adjust, 350mm
    Seat clamp Fuji Superlite Alloy, 34.9mm Laser Etched

Your Best Friend
    I think everyone will tell you to start with your wheels as that is where you will feel the weight loss first. That of course will be budget dependant. In the meantime, your cassette is a tank. Throw an XT cassette on there in 11-34 and you'll lose (guestimate) about half a pound.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I would guess your biggest bang for buck weight savings would come from a lighter wheelset, tires, lighter cassette, lighter crankset. I bet that cassette is an anchor. You will notice the most weight savings from a lighter wheelset/tires.

You can easily look up fork weights, so maybe the Dart 3 is heavy, but probably not that much heavier than a Reba.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Wheels and cassette first. Then cranks I guess. If that seatpost is anything like the one that came on my fuji road bike its probably a brick.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    A Reba would drop you a good 1.25-ish pounds.
    Carbon cable ferrules.
    Last edited by Lenny7; 01-04-2011 at 10:55 AM.

Short-Change-Hero
    Agree with everyone..
    Cassette
    Wheels
    Crank
    Fork
    Brakes (this would be minimal)

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll
    Just brought this Fuji from Performance Bike with mega discount. But the listed weight is 31.38 with a small frame. I threw in some of my own lighter parts on there, and a pair of spd. Just wondering down the road what are some of the components that can be replaced with minimum cost but major weight savings? I have a semi-high end Santa Cruz that I can do some part swap with, but then figured this bike is doesn't justify the high end XT/X9 stuffs.

I suspect the rockshox Dart 3 will be a good start to knock off a pound or so with a lighter fork?

Thanks

Main frame Fuji Altair 2 custom butted aluminum with PowerDiamond down tube, top tube/seat tube gusset, Hydro-formed top and down tube, Integrated head tube, double water bottle mounts
    Rear triangle Fuji Altair 2, custom tapered 7005 aluminum with Edge S-bend MonoStay, Cold forged dropout with CNC'D disc mount and replaceable hanger
    Fork Rock Shox Dart 3 29" w/Turn Key LO and 80mm Travel
    Crankset TruVativ 5D 3.0, 22/32/44T
    Bottom bracket Sealed Cartridge Bearing ST
    Pedals Shimano SPD PDM520
    Front derailleur SRAM X.5, 34.9mm
    Rear derailleur SRAM X.5
    Shifters SRAM X.5 Trigger, 27-speed
    Cassette Sunrace CSM969-AVOS, 11-32T 9-speed
    Chain KMC HG-73
    Front hub Fuji Sealed Bearing Disc, 32H
    Rear hub Fuji Sealed Bearing Disc, 32H
    Spokes 14G Stainless Steel
    Rims WTB SpeedDisc AM 29" DW, 32H
    Tires Continental Mountain King 29 X 2.2
    Tubes CST Lite presta
    Brake set Avid BB-5 Mechanical Disc w/Center Adjust, 160F/185R mm rotor
    Brake levers Avid FR-5 Forged Alloy 2 finger
    Headset V.P. A-42E 1 1/8" Press Fit Integrated, 30mm spacers
    Handlebar Easton Monkey light Carbon low rise
    Stem Fuji 3D Forged Al 1 1/8"
    Tape/grip Fuji Dual Density Kraton rubber
    Saddle WTB Devo
    Seat post Fuji Micro Adjust, 350mm
    Seat clamp Fuji Superlite Alloy, 34.9mm Laser Etched
    Rigid carbon fork.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Map Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash
    Agree with everyone..
    Cassette
    Wheels
    Crank
    Fork
    Brakes (this would be minimal)

+1
    perfect list
    I would add the BB to the cranks
    then go for saddle
    seat post
    stem

The CHEAPEST weight loss would be tires and tubes - you can get some Maxxis Ultralight tubes and lose a 1/4 lb. or so each wheel for 5 to 6 bucks a wheel
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    It sort of goes along with what has already been said, but I'd aim to replace anything that says "Fuji" on it - this includes, wheels (hubs), seatpost, seat clamp, etc.
    Enjoy the ride!

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    You could also return it and just replace everything with a lighter bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Rigid carbon fork.
    But the chiropractor cost might blow his build budget.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I'd take rigid over a Dart.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Help ID the heavy parts on my new bike
    Your ass. cut back on the donuts and beer

Tulsa
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli
    I'd take rigid over a Dart.

ditto
    + the weight savings bonus
    wherever you go, there you are

BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
    There's more weight in the bottom bracket than you think. Lighter wheels, Lighter cassette, Lighter BB, Lighter Cranks will take care of a lot of rotation weight and help.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1

haha....funny...Actually I am very good eating wise, no beer, no snacks, no donuts, sweets....Loss a few pounds thru the holidays too.

The carbon fork is interesting thought. Have to talk myself into not needing suspension.

Will work on the wheels and cassette, and fork, and fuji parts along with a few other things as suggested. The cassette should be easy. I can take the one off my Santa Cruz and throw it on here. The SC is an AM bike anyways so the weight gain is probably ok and not that easily detected. Was thinking about throwing the XT hollowtech cranks from the other bike on here, but then it really feels overdone considering this is a sub thousand dollar bike only, not to mention it depreciate the SC very noticeably.

Is the WTB SpeedDisc AM 29" DW, 32H a heavier rim set? I assume since it says AM instead of XC, it is a little bit heavier? What is a good light wheelset to get that is not too expensive? Also, are the Conti Mountain King heavy tires?

Please keep the suggestions coming. I am on a limited budget. Infact no budget at all until something breaks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    go single speed!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    haha....funny...Actually I am very good eating wise, no beer, no snacks, no donuts, sweets....Loss a few pounds thru the holidays too.

The carbon fork is interesting thought. Have to talk myself into not needing suspension.

Will work on the wheels and cassette, and fork, and fuji parts along with a few other things as suggested. The cassette should be easy. I can take the one off my Santa Cruz and throw it on here. The SC is an AM bike anyways so the weight gain is probably ok and not that easily detected. Was thinking about throwing the XT hollowtech cranks from the other bike on here, but then it really feels overdone considering this is a sub thousand dollar bike only, not to mention it depreciate the SC very noticeably.

Is the WTB SpeedDisc AM 29" DW, 32H a heavier rim set? I assume since it says AM instead of XC, it is a little bit heavier? What is a good light wheelset to get that is not too expensive? Also, are the Conti Mountain King heavy tires?

Please keep the suggestions coming. I am on a limited budget. Infact no budget at all until something breaks.
    No budget? Just ride it as is and do not think about the weight.

The AM rims are wider and a bit heavier. Not cheap to change wheels and get a significant weight loss.

The tires are reasonably light.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Short-Change-Hero
    What Shiggy said.... SpeedDisc AM rims alone are 595g ea, add spokes (~64g), Nipples (~30g) and Hubs (~550g ea, my guestimate) and you are looking at quite a heavy set there. I am looking at wheels right now for my build and for a good set I am looking at $300 and they will still weigh in at ~2kg (~4.5lbs). So I would probably upgrade the rims/fork last. When checking the sites make sure that you look for OE or OEM stuff, I was able to pick up an OE (take off) XT CS-M770 Shimano Cassette for $55 to my door from Jenson. Also was able to pick up an XT M770 front derailleur from my local Craigslist for $20. Just keep you eye out, ride the bike as is now and pick things up as you get deals. Just because the bike was less $1k doesn't mean it doesn't deserve nice components if you like the way it rides. My frame was $315 shipped to my door, but that is not keeping me from putting X9/XT components on it!!!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    Hello POT.

Members who have read this thread: 0