Help, I keep pushing away the kool-aide, but it's getting harder, and harder!- Mtbr.com
    they took the bar

Help, I keep pushing away the kool-aide, but it's getting harder, and harder!

I've got to stop lurking in this Niner group.

You folks are giving me new bike fever. I'll be honest, I've never had the chance to ride a 29 yet. But the more I read up, you all are making feel like it could be prom night, (and hoping for you know what...)

I'm afraid if I go the 29er, I'll never go back. (hehe..)

Honestly though, I am interested. I ride the paths along our irrigation canals, the horse trails, XC, and the occasional "light" AM (with my Titus FS).

My current livery includes:

2005 Titus Switchblade
    2005 Trek 6500 (only the frame is original, I've swapped out most every component for better stuff than the OEM).
    2003 Titus Switchblade (Wifey's)
    1999 Trek 820
    Generic beach cruiser

Would like to get another bike. As I said, new bike fever is hitting me, but I have to work through Wifey first. Maybe I look at a used 29, and save a little coin.

I'm seeing this tall glass of Niner kool-aide in front of me... I push away, and it keeps pushing back.

happy trails if you're happy with your Nine,

-Jav

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Not much to think about. I was in same boat as you, made the "switch" 29ers two years ago. Started on a Giant XTC 2 to "try out", and never looked back. Got rid of everything 26 (3 of them) within a year, they weren't feeling the love, just sitting in the garage! I've since also added a Santa Cruz TB Carbon, but also kept the XTC.

Based on what your riding style, you may want to consider a 29 HT to start with. Guarantee you won't go back. Good luck convincing the Wifey!

mtbr member
    I understand and can relate to the wife thing. My philosophy is its easier to get forgiveness than permission. Don't buy something too shitty or you will regret it so if your gonna upset her and be in the guest room anyway, might as well have a nice bike to share it with. Good luck.

ballbuster

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by Dummyrunner View Post
    I understand and can relate to the wife thing. My philosophy is its easier to get forgiveness than permission. Don't buy something too shitty or you will regret it so if your gonna upset her and be in the guest room anyway, might as well have a nice bike to share it with. Good luck.
    I guess it ends up costing more, when you factor in the divorce attorney.

SMH.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Smile

Or you can share the Kool-Aid, and also get her a 29er ... It'll be an easier sell

ballbuster

Sell some of your gear to raise the money

Quote Originally Posted by UT29ers View Post
    Or you can share the Kool-Aid, and also get her a 29er ... It'll be an easier sell
    That's largely what I've been doing. It's amazing when you deal in used gear. Buy used on craigslist, ebay, and swap meets, sell on craigslist, ebay and swap meets.

I have a pretty huge parts collection that largely pays for itself.

That is also a much easier sell, to show that you're giving something up you like to get something you like more.

Yeah, that whole 'do, then beg for forgiveness' thing... If I were to list the top 10 ways to get your ass dumped, living by that creed would probably be number 4.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 03-11-2012 at 05:37 PM.

they took the bar
    Wifey can be a significant hurdle. I bought her a used SB after I got mine a couple years earlier. She loves her bike.

Now you guys are killing me, I gotta buy two Niner's! (all good). Divorce attorney not an option, ain't looking forward towards that "reaming". Wifey's a keeper.

Sipping Kool-aide, buying off Wifey.... Crap!

I do like the "buy it, and then ask for forgiveness...." Though that'll be an @$$ beating, initially... D*mn, why do we let our women kick our @$$e$!?

they took the bar
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post

That is also a much easier sell, to show that you're giving something up you like to get something you like more.
    amen brother! that's worked in the past with her! "shared pain in a sense"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    I guess it ends up costing more, when you factor in the divorce attorney.

SMH.....
    If your wife would ditch you for buying a bike, you've got the wrong wife.

they took the bar
    She won't do that... It all boils down to priorities. She wants tile in the front room, I want a new bike. So I gotta figure out how we can do both.

Life is good, we've have three kiddies (that are now grown). But most definitely, the key to life is a happy Wife!

ride on!

-Jav

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hey, I still have my blue 1999 Trek 820, great bike! So you want to get a niner? Then you should just go for it, trust me, it will be that much fun!

ballbuster

True...

But if you had a pattern of showing her how little you regard how she feels in things that matter to both of you (ie, the house finances), she would have a pretty dang good case to dump your ass because you set fire to $3k on a toy for yourself without talking to her about it.

I personally don't have a lot of cash left over at the end of the month. We have a good house, older but good cars, two kids in pre$chool, etc. Don't get me wrong, I feel like a rich man, but not for the possessions or the digits in the bank account, but because life is good. I've been married 15 years to a great, level headed, smart, funny lady I met in high school (she's hawt, too!) who constantly cracks me up. More cash to play would be nice, but not likely to happen any time soon. I didn't get it this good by disrespecting the wife.

I feed my bike habit by pretty much flipping bike parts to and from swap meets and craigslist. The wife sees this, and appreciates it. I sometimes even buy, fix up, then sell bikes and parts for a profit for some extra grocery money. On the rare occasion that I do drop fat cash on bike gear, its largely paid for by stuff I sold, so the money is mostly not coming out of the household coffers.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 03-11-2012 at 06:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    OP, don't underestimate the power of Craigslist. Found some straight up awesome used 29ers there today. I'd second going to swap meets too. Give up one of your current bikes for a 29er to please the wife.

To add to the kool-aid though, on my ride today I was following a few guys on 26ers. They got stuck in an uphill rock garden, and I just powered my way over it. As I passed one of them I heard the guy mutter, "damn 29ers" lol.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Your woman can only kick your ass if you let her. Too bad for you if you never set limits on your relationship and now your wife has you by the balls.
    If I want it-I buy it.
    I know what my family can afford and what it cannot. If you have to ask permission you are on the wrong side of the equation. Old school, I know but if works for me and mine....
    Do you sit down to pee too?

ballbuster

Yeah, but...

Quote Originally Posted by perrobravo View Post
    Your woman can only kick your ass if you let her. Too bad for you if you never set limits on your relationship and now your wife has you by the balls.
    If I want it-I buy it.
    I know what my family can afford and what it cannot. If you have to ask permission you are on the wrong side of the equation. Old school, I know but if works for me and mine....
    ... do you really want a doormat for a wife?

Been there, done that. Not worth it.

mtbr member
    What does a grown man responsibly spending money have to do with a wife being a doormat? I know how much money we have and I know what our financial obligations are. I do not need nor will I seek my wife's permission to make a purchase. Ditto for her. I trust her to spend our money wisely and she trusts me to do the same. She doesn't need my permission and I don't need hers.

they took the bar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Garden View Post
    OP, don't underestimate the power of Craigslist. Found some straight up awesome used 29ers there today. I'd second going to swap meets too. Give up one of your current bikes for a 29er to please the wife.

To add to the kool-aid though, on my ride today I was following a few guys on 26ers. They got stuck in an uphill rock garden, and I just powered my way over it. As I passed one of them I heard the guy mutter, "damn 29ers" lol.
    Nice!!

they took the bar
    Quote Originally Posted by perrobravo View Post
    If I want it-I buy it.
    Nope, don't sit down. You're missing the point. I've been happily married for over 29 years. Wifey and I have had 3 children, all grown now. We did it. Raised them just fine. Now, I have a new grand daughter to boot.

Wifey and I do things together. I wouldn't expect her to buy a $3K item without chatting. It's not a veto thingy. Just something we do.

If I truly want the bike, she won't have an issue with it. Things work better when we work as a team, and let each other know about our plans.

Just having fun, and the married men in the crowd probably know that I was pulling on their leg.

All cool, and one day soon, I hope to buy a new bike. Currently researching right now.

regards,

-Jav

mtbr member
    Well said Jav. Alot of people taking things too literal and not in the spirit intended. Don't hate the player... hate the game. Let us know when you get those big hoops under you and post some pics!

mtbr member
    im in the same boat. i ride a 1999 cannondale super v 700 and all of my friends are on 29s and keep telling me how great it is. so i take a test ride and wow what a difference it is. so now i have new bike fever too.

they took the bar
    Well said Jav. Alot of people taking things too literal and not in the spirit intended. Don't hate the player... hate the game. Let us know when you get those big hoops under you and post some pics!
    You bet buddy, hopefully soon!

COTA member
    I gave up my '98 Specialized S-Works M2 HT 26" last summer for a Niner Jet 9 29" FSR. Best biking decision I ever made. My experience was so good with the Niner 29" I just upgraded to a Niner Jet 9 RDO and a Niner AC9 SS for this season. Wife encouraged me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've sipped the kool-aid and it's too late for me! Now the decision is between Jet9 and Jet9 RDO. I am in the same situation as you, however I am the WIFE and my husband does not bike so he doesn't understand why someone would want a 5,000 dollar bike. I work full time and so does my husband, all big purchases we decide together, so I do have to get his approval for my purchase. To be honest I do not mind this, he keeps me in check because well, I do like to buy things lol. I've been approved to purchase a FS 29er, but had priced the Trek Superfly AL, the Niner goes up quite a bit from there, especially the RDO. I need to force the kool-aid down his throat now

Big B's Trails
    Kool Aid...... OH YEAH!
    I dig dirt!

Recovering couch patato
    Get yourself a used Redline Monocog 29 (find one that looks like crap), and here a shiny girly (new) women specific Trek Fisher. Boy will you go on good rides.

mtbr member
    Well just to sweeten the Koolaid a bit more, here's a pic of my new Banshee Prime, 130mm in the back, 140mm upfront I made the switch in 2007 and never looked back, only 26" wheeled bike I have now is a M and it's a loaner for the vertically challenged

Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

they took the bar
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Well just to sweeten the Koolaid a bit more, here's a pic of my new Banshee Prime, 130mm in the back, 140mm upfront I made the switch in 2007 and never looked back, only 26" wheeled bike I have now is a M and it's a loaner for the vertically challenged

Sweet ride!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I have a 2003 Titus SB. I also have a Sir9 geared and fully rigid. They are 2 very different bikes with 2 very different applications.
    Seven Sola fully rigid MTN SS
    #1⚙️All year
    Seven Evergreen gravel grinder
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

Members who have read this thread: 0