Help with El Capitan rear shock (x-post Ventana)- Mtbr.com
    meh....

Help with El Capitan rear shock (x-post Ventana)

I'm getting a Curtlo built using the El Capitan rear suspension. I'd like to use the DT Swiss HVR 200 rear shock, but it's 200mm i2i and 55mm stroke, 5mm longer stroke than spec'd for the El Capitan.

Can someone look at their El Cap and maybe depressurize the rear shock and see if it looks like an extra 5mm of shock stroke would cause the tire or the seatstay yoke to contact the seat tube? I asked Ventana and Teresa says it can't be done. I know, I know, but I'd still like to see.

Thanks,
    Monte

Powered by ice cream.
    Dude, you are nuts if you are going against Teresa or Sherwood's recommendations, I don't care what kind of shock you want to run.

Get the fox float. If you don't like it get it PUSHed, and you will never want anything more. I have two pushed shocks, and they are mind blowingly good.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

jrm
    mtbr member

Id go back..

and ask if it may be used with the other rockers available for the el cap. Otherwise i agree with the other poster about the float or RP 3 for that matter..

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte
    I'm getting a Curtlo built using the El Capitan rear suspension. I'd like to use the DT Swiss HVR 200 rear shock, but it's 200mm i2i and 55mm stroke, 5mm longer stroke than spec'd for the El Capitan.

Can someone look at their El Cap and maybe depressurize the rear shock and see if it looks like an extra 5mm of shock stroke would cause the tire or the seatstay yoke to contact the seat tube? I asked Ventana and Teresa says it can't be done. I know, I know, but I'd still like to see.

Thanks,
    Monte
    Monte-

FWIW, I've ridden the HVR on a Behemoth and had no 'contact' issues.

When's your frame due?

I *may* be able to send you an HVR (it's not here right now, so you'll have to wait) to test your theory. Lemme know your 'due date'.

MC

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    [QUOTE=Monte]I'm getting a Curtlo built using the El Capitan rear suspension. I'd like to use the DT Swiss HVR 200 rear shock, but it's 200mm i2i and 55mm stroke, 5mm longer stroke than spec'd for the El Capitan.

I suggest doing what Sherwood and Teresa suggest, though I can't help you with your test as I have an X5. You should also get a Fox shock and have it custom tuned by PUSH, the best $150 I have spent on the entire bike, a total transformation of how it handled. Shock companies can't tune it for every one of us. You won't regret a Push tuned Fox. You can also buy an RP3 from PUSH tuned to you. Not sure if these have the correct I to I but it would be what I would be hoping for. I have had tow Push-tuned Fox's on two different bikes including the X5. Peace to you!
    WYATT

AOK
    mtbr member
    Keep in mind that just because one person's shock doesn't contact their frame, that doesn't necessarily mean that YOUR shock / frame combination will clear.

Both frame and shock will have a manufacturing tolerance. Sherwood has taken these tolerances into account when he says that the combination won't work. If shock X fits on frame Y, it could just be because the shock is on the short end of it's tolerance and the frame is on the large end of it's tolerance. If you put a long shock /small frame tolerance combo together, it might not fit.

A lot of similar discussions took place a while back on the Ventana board about whether or not a Fox DHX would fit on the pre-'04 Saltamontes and/or X-5.

mtbr member
    I've asked. Don't do it. Get a Fox or Manitou and get on with it. I have nothing negative to say about the DT goods but the others are OE spec, more readily available for repair/replacement, and can be custom tuned by folks like PUSH.

I don't think running 5" vs. 4" rockers will change the issue, in fact, it may exacerbate it due to the higher leverage ratio.
    Professional Amateur

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Dude, you are nuts if you are going against Teresa or Sherwood's recommendations, I don't care what kind of shock you want to run.
    Sorry, that came off harsh. Not meant to. Just think carefully before going against manufacturer recommendations in this case. I'm sure Sherwood put a lot of thought into it.

I have two pushed fox shocks and love them. Plush and stable.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    If your dead set on an HVR why not have curtlo design the frame around it with the V. rear end. I would think the person building the frame would be able to work something out. After all it is custom.

meh....
    I've never been impressed with the Floats, so I'm going to get a RS MC 3.3, it's 200mm i2i x 50mm stroke. Been reading good things about them.

Mike offered a HVR200 to try out, I'll give that a go when it becomes available.

Thanks,
    Monte