Help deciding on new dream bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Help deciding on new dream bike

I have been riding a Haro 29er hardtail for a little while now and I am ready take the plunge towards a dually. My current 26 duallies are a Intense Tracer VP and Foes FXR with a Curnutt Coil. The Intense is my favorite by far because the suspension suits me well and love the handling characistics. The Foes handles pretty awesome also but I don't dig the Curnutt as much. I do most of my riding in rooty and rocky South Florida with the occasional trip to NC. High speed handling is what I look for most in a bike. So here are my 29er dually options I am considering.

Intense Tracer 29er with XX build. (not enough fork options yet)

Foes B29er with Fox rear shock and XX build. (plenty of fork options)

Santa Cruz Tallboy with XX build. (really light and plenty of fork options)

Turner Sultan with XX build. (legendary Turner handling-pro, being a homer-con)

Any opinions?

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz Tallboy with XX build

Based only on reviews though.

mtbr member
    whats wrong with niner?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I recently went through the same process but had only a slightly different list.
    1. tallboy
    2. tracer
    3. sultan
    4. evolve
    I ultimately went with the ellsworth evolve because I'm short and the fit looked like it would be better for me. I love it and would absolutely not trade, but I must say the tallboy would have been my choice if I was tall enough to have fit well on it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have a NINER Rip 9 that was a warranty replacement for a broken frame. I smack the pedals way to often on it and I don't care for the handling much. Great company though.

mtbr member
    Have you considered Pivot?
    Signature

Rider down under
    The intense is not released yet is it? It seems the Tracer is having huge problems with rear triangle failures. I wouldn't be jumping strait into the 29 when its out. It looks the goods on paper though. My 6.6 has given me no end of problems with pivot failures.
    I've seen enough carbon failures and a few with dramatic consequences to not trust it. I don't believe any of the manufacturers claims. I'd never buy a Tallboy.
    It sounds to me that the Pivot won't be enough bike for you with the trails you ride.
    I love my new RIP9 so we disagree on that.
    Have you considered the WFO?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The WFO is entering my short list now. The pivot doesn't do it for me. To similar to the RIP.

I wish there was more test or info on the Foes. I am surprised no one chimed in on the Sultan.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Independent Fabrication Ti Deluxe with SRAM XX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbernard71
    Turner Sultan with XX build. (legendary Turner handling-pro, being a homer-pro)
    I changed it for you

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    I changed it for you

Thats funny!

Now tell me why I should go with a Sultan.

mtbr member
    Thats funny!

I could only tell you why I went with the Sultan. In the end, the fit is one of the most important aspects of your bike choice...you have to make that call. For me, aside from fit...the Turner offers a proven performer, durability and renown customer service.

the flerg
    Surprised Superfly 100 was not on anyone's list. I would go with a tallboy myself although I have not ridden it yet. I think these things are going to be freaky fast. Do you really need one in Florida? Seems like a hardtail would be most adequate.

Let us know your choice.
    Dogs are happiest on bike trails.

Powered by ice cream.

Intense Tracer 29er with XX build. (not enough fork options yet)

Foes B29er with Fox rear shock and XX build. (plenty of fork options)

Santa Cruz Tallboy with XX build. (really light and plenty of fork options)

Turner Sultan with XX build. (legendary Turner handling-pro, being a homer-con)

Any opinions?
    I would add the Lenz Behemoth to the list.

Of your choices, my E-pinion is that the Tracer will be badazz, but who knows when it is available, so that leaves the Tallboy.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Birthday Collector
    One reason, other than it being a great company with an owner who seems to stand behind what he and his crew does - is that his crew is all based here in this country, earning wages & paying taxes and spending their money (hopefully) here. That should also be true with the Intense and Ellsworth bikes. SC, while probably a great riding bike, is made (like virtually all CF products) overseas, and you are supporting a company that is making big-mark-ups just like any of the other big-box producers, paying those profits to either shareholders or to owners "living large". I don't have anything against SC - I just feel that for being a supposed "boutique" maker - they really don't offer a boutique product with a Taiwan-made line. Same for Pivot - nice bike, but for the same $$ you can get truly handmade products that help out OUR economy. When the choice is there at a price point, I think you can see which way I'd lean... Just my .02
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Being made here in the states is a factor for me. All my main bikes are made in the USA except my 84 Pinarello Montello. The Tallboy peaked my interest because I could build a freakish sub 25lb 29er trailbike.

I will probally buy one the American made bikes. Just got off the Turner site and read some really good reviews on it.

Now I am just confused as all heck.

Anyone build a Sultan with an XX build?

And yes u r right. My biking friends think I am awesome and my wifes friends think I am tragic.

mtbr member
    http://www.sapagroup.com/us/Company-...a-Bike-Frames/

So much for keeping your money in the US of A. Turners are welded by Sapa, which is a company from Sweden. Not quite Asia, but still not US.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Knobby4me
    Surprised Superfly 100 was not on anyone's list. I would go with a tallboy myself although I have not ridden it yet. I think these things are going to be freaky fast. Do you really need one in Florida? Seems like a hardtail would be most adequate.

Let us know your choice.
    To many roots and logs for my lazy lard butt to deal with a Hardtail fulltime.

don't try this at home
    why not a custom job? find a local builder who's work you like and willing to support. it's also along the same lines as ATBScott but you'll actually meet the person fabricating your ride and possibly shake the same hands that crafted your machine.
    will you rep me?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by whydomylegshurt?

So much for keeping your money in the US of A. Turners are welded by Sapa, which is a company from Sweden. Not quite Asia, but still not US.
    It appears that they do their manufacturing in Portland, Oregon, though they are owned by a Swedish company. Americans being outsourced by Swedish? Neat if true. Can anyone confirm or deny that? As long as the labor gets done over here it's all good imo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by thanoz
    It appears that they do their manufacturing in Portland, Oregon, though they are owned by a Swedish company. Americans being outsourced by Swedish? Neat if true. Can anyone confirm or deny that? As long as the labor gets done over here it's all good imo.
    Yes SAPA makes the bikes for Turner and a number of other American made companies. Everything is formed, machined, Welded, and heat treated in the US. They also do anodizing as well. The frames are made 100% in the USA. Even though it is owned by someone else all production is done in the states.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Guess again

Quote Originally Posted by whydomylegshurt?

Sapa Extrusions is a subsidiary of Sapa AB, which is fully owned by the Norwegian conglomerate Orkla. From their webpage

And Budweiser is a Belgian company, Inbev, now.

Ben and Jerry's is owned by Dutch company Unilever.

To bring this full circle, Swedish car maker SAAB is no longer owned by GM in Detroit, but by a Dutch company, Spyker.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Titus Titanium

Drop the XX, take the money you save and get a USA made titanium Titus Rockstar.
    A cross between the FTM and the Racer X 29.
    Due out in March.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help deciding on new dream bike-rockstar-titanium-3q-mtbr.jpg  

Peace & Love
    Definitely the Tracer or Sultan. You having a Tracer and Foes says to me you dont want some panty-waisted FS bike thus, the Tallboi has no business on your list. And the Foes, I believe but could be wrong, has awful geometry, retarded pricetag, and not too much travel.

XX build is ghey IMHO but it will impress the roadies if you frequent Starbucks via bike so go for it

Peace & Love
    Thats funny!

I have a Sultan because jncarpenter bought one and he knows everything so i knew it was the best