help build a sl xc/trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018

help build a sl xc/trail

Ok guys, my beloved camber (120mm f/r) needs replacing. my goal is to build an awesome lightweight xc/trail bike. I need help finding a suitable frame, i have a brand new 2020 fox factory 34 sc that id like to use upfront, i also have a very new set of Duke racing 28/25.6 mm id carbon rims laced up on carbon ti hubs so a boost frame is a must. rear travel should be 120mm (my old bones need a little more cush than a 100 gives). so far iíve found (1)INTENSE SNIPER TR, Pros; 120 f/r, light, meets most of my requirements. Cons: ht angle 66.5 seems really slack, no internal cable routing for remote lockout, reviews are mixed frame has a really soft and flexible rear triangle that some find annoying. (2) 2020 TREK TOP FUEL pros: its a trek! it has internal cable routing its got great geo, Cons: 115 rear travel (ok) weight frameset appears to be significantly heavier than the sniper or Orbea oiz. (3) 2020 ORBEA OIZ, (my favorite so far) pros; super light, stiff iíline cable routing meets all my requirements. Cons: ht angle is a little steep at 68, orbea does not sell a frame only so i have to buy a complete bike and sell all the takeoffs.
    Have i missed any light weight 120mm frames with modern geo? all comments and suggestions are appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    2020 Kona Hei Hei is 120/120 with two bottles in main frame. Weight TBD, geo TBD.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    thanks for the responses! looks like the hei hei is too far out time wise, anyone find the weight on the norco? built bike seems heavy, havent come across a frame only weight yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Intense has addressed the flex in the rear. If you can wait an updated Trail (120MM) rear triangle is coming out in Nov/Dec.

Not sure how no internal routing for a lock out shock that isn't on the bike is a negative.

As far as the Trek- I would suggest riding a steep seat tube angle bike before buying. Did not like the Ripley V4 I bought. It also has that stupid knockback headset.

Orbea does sell frame only, but it's pricey like the Trek
    https://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles...omr-il-dps-r-k $3499
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

Short-Change-Hero
    Quantify what you believe to be "lightweight"?
    Would suggest the GG Trail Pistol(a) but may be a bit more portly than you want.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    great info thanks, waiting on the new rear triangle may be an option, i really like having a remote lockout on my handlebar so the frame not having either internal or external cable routing is still a concern intense says that some of their riders use a glue on cable guide. For 2020 Orbea is only selling their "frame only" in small 27.5 (yeah i dont understand that one either). If i go the trek route ill definitely check out the steep seat tube angle. As far as weight my goal is a sub 23lbs bike ready to ride (not sure if i can make it) not willing to sacrifice quality for a few grams. sniper frame with fox shock in med. 2186 gr according to intense. ORBEA OIZ Claims 1790 gr i believe thats without the shock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So you're going to buy a frame and replace the shock? That's the only way you're getting a remote lock out on a Sniper.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    according to the guy i spoke to at intense, fox offers a lockout kit for that shock, but i will definitely confirm that with fox.
    Do you believe that to be incorrect?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    i'm really leaning towards buying an oiz tr. and selling off all the stock components that i dont want to use. i was just trying to avoid the additional work and putting out the cash up front.

Short-Change-Hero
    Oiz Trail will be a nice bike.

I'm gonna ask the dumb question but WHY do you want such a light bike?
    If you are a XC racer where the grams can matter in the end, I can see that but your above statement about not sacrificing quality for a few grams makes me believe otherwise. I don't remember the Camber ever being a light bike but then again I never rode one and my current bike is a portly 37lbs. However, don't let that fool you, but just built up an all carbon Trail Pistola and he came in at just over 30lbs and I had no problem keeping up with him. Maybe on those REALLY long days would I notice the weight difference and whatnot but I am gonna be tired on those days regardless so a few grams ain't gonna change how I ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    New Ibis Ripley should meet and surpass all of your goals.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

This place needs an enema
    Intense is a fun bike but you indicated you wanted it a little plusher, and this frame just isn't that. Very efficient, but not super comfortable suspension.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Spot Ryve is another with a 115 rear.