HELP - 29er is thrashed and need help figuring out repairs.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2020

HELP - 29er is thrashed and need help figuring out repairs.

So.. i have a scott aspect 29er that is absolutely thrashed... all derailleurs are smashed.. hydraulic brakes gone.. the 2 bigger cogs on my crank are gone ( so i just have the smallest gear on the front). My question is how can i convert my MTB to this setup....

*I want a single gear in the front (the smallest one thats attached to my cranks) -no derailleur-
    *On the backend normal 9 speed gears with a derailleur.
    *Gonna fix my brakes on my own- just need to refill with fluid*

how do i do this ? do i just buy a shorter chain and a 9speed shifter for the back ? what ?
    Possibliy a noob question but no MTB shops near me atm and im in a pickle cause the weather is flawless... ANY COMMENTS OR ANSWER APPRECIATED !

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HELP - 29er is thrashed and need help figuring out repairs.-img_1030.jpg  

HELP - 29er is thrashed and need help figuring out repairs.-img_1031.jpg  

HELP - 29er is thrashed and need help figuring out repairs.-img_1032.jpg  

mtbr member
    post photos of what's wrong. the answers sound simple at first, but there are 100 things that need to be examined by an experienced eye to make the bike safe and functional.

mtbr member
    how are you going to fix the brakes if they are "gone"?

what is the model of crankset on the bike? there is likely an inexpensive single ring that you can put on there.

mtbr member
    where are you located that has NO BIKE SHOPS?

FYI, most bike shops are very backed up with labor right now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Im actually in Knoxville we have bike shops but theyre very busy atm. Im gonna edit the post with pictures of the bike.. The brakes just need fluid they work fine i drained them last week. i guess "gone" was an over exaggeration. i still bomb hills with it i just use the old footbrake.

mtbr member
    I can't make a definitive diagnosis based on that, but the bike needs a new derailer hanger, which will be a specific model for that frame. you can look them up on https://derailleurhanger.com/

I am 99% certain that a narrow-wide chainring with a 104 BCD would replace the rings on that crankset for a 1x setup. you might need new, shorter chainring bolts. the one on that bike is oriented upside down. the little tab on the inner diameter should be behind the crank arm.

it's hard to tell, but are the hoses missing from that brake set? you'll need to look up the approriate hoses for those brakes by the model number. the calipers should have printed on them something like BR-M___ and levers should have BL-M___ that will help you find the right pads and hoses. also look up the bleed procedure for that. you'll need some Shimano mineral oil and some simple tools, depending on the setup.

I can't see the shifter on that handlebar, maybe it's obscured.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Yes all the hoses and cables are off the bike currently. I saved all my hoses for the brakes and have them stored. Aye I will have to double check the process for the brake bleed and refill and i've cleaned/ changed the pads before and its nothing too difficult thankfully.

For the derailleur hanger i still have the one that came on the bike saved so it will sit properly on the end.

so for the chainring would i need a new one because the current chainring would allow the chain to slip ? aye sorry not sure why the pics turned upside.

mtbr member
    MTBR does that to photos. for future reference, I think it works better if you crop your photos just a tiny bit before uploading. it's a known bug that's never been fixed.

the rings you have now are designed to easily pop on and off and a derailer is there to to move them and to keep them in place. if you want a single ring, the existing ring is going to drop the chain easily. that's why a narrow-wide ring is recommended.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Ahhh thanks for the tip!

OK that makes perfect sense. i just measured the bolts and it does fit a 104BCD. So once I purchase a 104BCD chain ring all i would need is the derailleur for the back and that section of the repair would be complete?
    also what size chain would be needed for a 1x9 setup ?

mtbr member
    I can't guarantee that's all you need, but it would be a start.

you need a 9-speed or 10 speed chain for a 1x9 setup. chains are almost always a little too long, so you'll need to measure and remove a few links. look up instructions for chain length sizing if you're confused.

WillWorkForTrail
    Knoxville has a thriving MTB community. Iím absolutely certain that if you make friends with some of them, they would be more than happy and able to lend a hand with things you donít understand about the bike. Bleeding the brakes, for instance, is something you want to get right.