Hats off to Ned O.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hats off to Ned O.

Riding with the pack yesterday in Leadville when LL and TW got tangled up resulting in TW breaking several spokes on his front wheel. Ned swapped him front wheels and continued on to the next feed station where he got a new wheel and continues on to finish in top 30.
    Leverick

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was...........

Yo.

And they say Jens Voight is tough.

Quote Originally Posted by leverick
    Riding with the pack yesterday in Leadville when LL and TW got tangled up resulting in TW breaking several spokes on his front wheel. Ned swapped him front wheels and continued on to the next feed station where he got a new wheel and continues on to finish in top 30.
    From the singletrack.com recap:

"...The crash left Leipheimer, a past Tour de France podium finisher, on the dirt. It also took out spokes on Wells’ front wheel about a third of the way into the race. But mountain bike legend and Wells’ Specialized teammate Ned Overend gave up his wheel. That allowed Wells to catch up with a large leading group made up of, among others, Horgan-Kobelski, Leipheimer, Wiens, Bishop, Matt Shriver (Fort Lewis College), Tinker Juarez (Cannondale Factory Racing), Jay Henry (Tokyo Joe’s) and Len Zanni (Honey Stinger).

“I almost wish I’d kept the wheel and pulled the plug,” an exhausted Wells said jokingly post race.

Overend managed to ride the trashed wheel to the next feed zone where it took several minutes before he found a replacement. Even then, the new wheel rubbed on the brake for 70-some miles. Soon-to-be 55-year-old Deadly Nedly was still able to finish under eight hours, 1 hour 40 minutes off the winner...."
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead. ;)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    There is really something so wrong about Ned.
    He is so fast.
    He is so nice.
    It's just wrong!

At Cross Nat'ls in 2007, he crashed in front of me on the first lap and I landed on him...it was like landing on a bag of antlers.
    He passed me a lap later.
    He lapped me just before I got 1 lap to go....which saved me from doing another lap.
    He came over to me and apologized for taking me down and for lapping me....I thanked him for apologizing, thanked him for taking me down and thanked him for lapping me.
    Just wrong, I tell ya.

mtbr member
    So he is the most interesting man in the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_UcEDw_dPY

likes to ride bikes
    Classy move. I still think of him like my first grade teacher after reading his "Mountain Bike Like A Pro," which goes something like this:

"Don't rest on the flats, keep your momentum going!
    Don't rest at the crest of the hill, I see a lot of people do it, but not doing it is how I beat John Tomac!
    Don't rest on the downhills, Tomac was a great downhiller and you have got to keep track of him!"

Just kidding. Ned is my hero for winning the SS Nationals this year too.
    Last edited by TunicaTrails; 08-17-2010 at 09:25 AM.

mtbr member
    he raced in an event in san jose, ca a few month ago and he passed me going so fast on this brutal climb. I might well have standing still. He is an amazing rider with a huge set of lungs.

At Work
    I would say he is still one of the strongest climbers ever.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Ned is a legend among legends.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Ned is a big part of what MTB riding is all about.

Lesson #1 don't let the roadie lead the way! He totally missed the turn hit his brakes and everyone slammed!

Lesson#2 Roadies can climb faster than MTBers on non-technical races.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.

Front Range Cyclist
    That's one of those things about some of the old Pros.....they have class. Glad someone else posted Ned's good deed towards his teammate. I think it's too bad this gesture was overlooked in Levi's win.

Ned, Tomac, Brown, etc... I have yet to hear of anyone in today's pro class stand out like these guys Not that the current group is a bad group by any means(well, Kabush....) but I think that element of style just isn't there. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I am.
    In the immortal words of Socrates..."I drank what?"

Facebook.com/monstercrosser
    Twitter: @monstercrosser

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by juansevo
    Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I am.
    You are. Can't say I know them personally, but the "current group" deport themselves well in the press (e.g. - Wells response to being wrecked by Levi at Leadville, Levi's appreciation of the difficulty of racing Leadville). One of the classy thing all the pros seem to have (both old and new) is not getting wrapped up in the silly "roadie" versus "MTBer" labels -- they're cyclists and appreciate the effort and professionalism there competitors put forth. Seems like an example many here could stand to emulate.

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    Here here. Gentleman of the sport.

Its rare to meet such classy riders, but have been lucky to ride a few laps of our last 24hr with Jason English (prev world 24hr champ) and he was the most polite, and chatty person on the course all night long. Spent alot of the night talking about setup and food and our favourite jumps on the course. Top bloke.
    2013 Giant XTC Advanced SL0 Carbon
    2011 TCR Advanced SL
    2012 Omnium
    2013 29CX Frankenbike

At Work
    That's one of those things about some of the old Pros.....they have class. Glad someone else posted Ned's good deed towards his teammate. I think it's too bad this gesture was overlooked in Levi's win.

Ned, Tomac, Brown, etc... I have yet to hear of anyone in today's pro class stand out like these guys Not that the current group is a bad group by any means(well, Kabush....) but I think that element of style just isn't there. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I am.
    We know Ned to be how he is based on many of us knowing of him for the past 20 years. With the current group of Pro Racers, We do not have that time element to use as a judge. Yeah, there are some that right off the bad seem to be very down to earth and others who have attitude. Kinda of hard to even try and compare current vs veteran.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

RIDE TO LIVE
    Ned has always been a class act and a great role model for our sport.

Front Range Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthrope
    You are. Can't say I know them personally, but the "current group" deport themselves well in the press (e.g. - Wells response to being wrecked by Levi at Leadville, Levi's appreciation of the difficulty of racing Leadville). One of the classy thing all the pros seem to have (both old and new) is not getting wrapped up in the silly "roadie" versus "MTBer" labels -- they're cyclists and appreciate the effort and professionalism there competitors put forth. Seems like an example many here could stand to emulate.
    Maybe I should re-emphasis that I don't think the current lot is "bad" by any means and would agree about the approachability but I'm looking at a few steps above that. Who really stands out above and beyond? And maybe not in just race results and class, but personality as well? Once again not knocking anyone (well Kabusch, seen/heard enough of his BS). I wouldn't say Wells, JHK, etc.. are anything short of exceptional as riders and being approachable/friendly. But guys like Brown, Herbold, Tomac, Overend always had that certain persona that seemed to elevate them and keep them in our heads. Anyone get what I'm trying to say?

I guess whoever said it, said it best....maybe there just hasn't been enough time to see who rises out of it all or develop such. And maybe those guys stand out because they were kinda the first group of pros to be in mags and such so they always will.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I agree with juansevo. i Ithink there lacking that Jenasaqua trait, Looking forward to some fast and new upcoming racers from the US, Tired of seeing the same guys..

I'm just messing with you
    Quote Originally Posted by pindowngirl25
    i Ithink there lacking that Jenasaqua trait
    I bet Ned would
    a) know how to spell "je ne sais quoi", what language it originates from, and what it means
    or
    b) would skip the hooked on phonics spelling and just say what he means instead of being ironically unintelligent.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I agree with juansevo. i Ithink there lacking that Jenasaqua trait, Looking forward to some fast and new upcoming racers from the US, Tired of seeing the same guys..
    Who is this Jenasaqua?
    A new rap artist?
    A new character on "Jersey Shore"?
    A long lost descendant of Sacagawea?

At Work
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor
    Who is this Jenasaqua?
    A new rap artist?
    A new character on "Jersey Shore"?
    A long lost descendant of Sacagawea?
    She could be in "Glee"

whatever the hell that show is.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sxr-racer
    She could be in "Glee"

whatever the hell that show is.
    You know what Glee is!
    It's that show that brings out the 13 year old girl in all of us.

mtbr member
    Many young riders coming up, just checkout the U12,U14,U17, U23 XC and STXC results from Nationals a few weeks back. Several champions and top five finishers in these categories, many from Ned O's home town as well.
    Leverick

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was...........

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I heard it said, though he never led, Ned's a good head and he's the opposite of lead and can really sled.
    I wonder what he's fed? If he weren't so old, I bet he would be more bold and even if cold, at least so I'm told and no way
    he would be just anyone in the fold even though that last bit was a bit awkward.

mtbr member
    Not that it is a guarantee, but it helps that Ned is old(er) and more mature. Just look at Lance today versus his teenage years as a prime mainstream example of a champion and ambassador of the sport. Props to gentlemen of any sport!
    Creator Producer: Will of the Sun WoS, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ MTBR thread

Front Range Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by sxr-racer
    We know Ned to be how he is based on many of us knowing of him for the past 20 years. With the current group of Pro Racers, We do not have that time element to use as a judge. Yeah, there are some that right off the bad seem to be very down to earth and others who have attitude. Kinda of hard to even try and compare current vs veteran.
    Well except Ned and the like have always had a certain above average air about them.

Front Range Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord
    Not that it is a guarantee, but it helps that Ned is old(er) and more mature. Just look at Lance today versus his teenage years as a prime mainstream example of a champion and ambassador of the sport. Props to gentlemen of any sport!
    Lance still has a lot of maturing to do.....

Front Range Cyclist
    Nice to see someone gets it. It's not that any are bad people, but none of them are stand out hero's of the sport people will rave about 10 years from now either.

Thing is, look back at old mags and such...the Tomacs, Weins, Overends, Herbold's, Browns, etc... were more than just mountain bike racing...they were mountain biking.

In today's field I think it's the overlooked riders such as Weir and Schnell I think will stand out as time goes on as well as I think they have a certain air about them that makes them stand out and be people we care to hear their thoughts/ideas on the sport/design.

I think some of it is maybe the old pros were allowed to experiment more with builds/geometry/tires/etc.... Overend used bar ends/shocks before anyone else. Hell Herbold made alot of his own frames. Tomac constantly was trying new things. Weins could just ride. Brown is still pushing concepts/ideas/specs on each ride that Trek may never have the brains to follow up on (such as 69ers...Trek=#Fail there).

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Lance still has a lot of maturing to do.....
    HIs doctor said he may grow another two inches.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Ned simply is a rock star... look at all he does for IMBA and the sport in general and he still won the SS race this year.

....my Hero (swoons...).

Members who have read this thread: 0