Hard tail BB30 to race- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hard tail BB30 to race

Looking for a ti, steel, or carbon 29er HT with a BB30. This will serve as my back up, and flat course race bike. I'm not interested in aluminum.
    Who builds them?
    So far I know:
    Cannondale - of course
    Tomac - aluminum
    Lynskey - as an option

Can anyone add to the list? yes, I tried the search function.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Niner...

Air 9 Carbon... But not available yet...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by torosc
    Air 9 Carbon... But not available yet...
    Neither is the Cannondale. Sweet, I didn't know the Niner was BB30!
    Thanks

Now broadcasting from CO
    The cannondale Flash's should be available in the next month... should...
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    There are photos in the Cannondale forums of people in the US who got theirs already, but they are the Carbon 2, and it was an extremely limited shipment.

If you are looking at Lynskey, then you are looking at least semi-custom frame. I know Seven cyces offers a BB30 option for their mountain frames. I'm not sure if you have to go full custom for it, but I know it is available. I can tell you that Independent Fabrications does not offer BB30 yet.

Specialized offers the Stumpjumper Expert Carbon, and the S-Works models with an oversized bottom bracket. This is not really a BB30, but you would be able to run Specialized's Carbon oversized crank or the Cannondale BB30 SL. The problem with these frames is the fact that they are even more integrated than the Cannondale's. They have a tapered headtube (1 1/8 - 1 1/2) and the cranks are somewhat confusing. For the cranks, it is possible to run other BB30 cranks, but it needs a longer spindle and more spacers due to the extra width of the frame.

Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    What specifics of BB30 are making it so that you really want it? I find the application great for road frames (as long as the frames are carbon). The shells are 68mm which is limiting as far as attaching the chainstays to the bike and getting the tire/chainring clearance. If you look at bikes like the Karate Monkey, they would never be able to achieve the chainstay lengths they do without a 73mm BB shell.

Now if you were looking into getting a frame with BB90/91, that would make a lot of sense. Not only can manufacturers beef up their downtubes due to the wider BB shell (really awesome on carbon frames, they can make the downtubes massive), but they can be more creative with the chainstay attachment. The builder might have to use some sort of yoke on the driveside to maintain chainring clearance while maximizing tire clearance, but it is a good option.

Also the style of cups and bearings pressed into these offer a more precise press allowing the bearings to be in better alignment (especially with aluminum, titanium, or steel Pressfit bearing shells). On carbon bikes with bonded-in aluminum shells, this isn't as big of deal due to the fact that the shells will not warp from welding and need to be honed post welding. Pressfit30 from SRAM does address this issue to some degree, but is not being widely utilized as of yet, nor is it widely available.

That being said, weigh your tire/chainring clearance needs and if you don't need anything radical, get something with a thread in shell.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Jamis Dakota D29 Team carbon
    Scapin Blato 29 - Italian steel beauty

hispanic mechanic
    Just an alternative thought. Unless you already have the crankset, how about the fifteenG? 30mm BB that fits a standard BB shell. All reports I've heard are outstanding. Weight is good, and you can't argue about the polygonal interfaces durability.Then you can get whatever frame you fancy.
    Like I said, just offering an alternative solution.

Los
    Support your local trail organization.

www.swimba.org

Witty McWitterson
    ^^ditto the Los^^^

I love my 15g's. Light, stiff, affordable*. Its the trifecta.

*same price level as XT, nearly as light as XTR.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    the new S-Works is BB30, but its wider than the standard 68mm shell, it 83mm wide so chainstay issues are solved. The cranks are very nice as well.

I do have 15G's on my SS and love them
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ia_ss157
    What specifics of BB30 are making it so that you really want it? I find the application great for road frames (as long as the frames are carbon). The shells are 68mm which is limiting as far as attaching the chainstays to the bike and getting the tire/chainring clearance. If you look at bikes like the Karate Monkey, they would never be able to achieve the chainstay lengths they do without a 73mm BB shell.

Now if you were looking into getting a frame with BB90/91, that would make a lot of sense. Not only can manufacturers beef up their downtubes due to the wider BB shell (really awesome on carbon frames, they can make the downtubes massive), but they can be more creative with the chainstay attachment. The builder might have to use some sort of yoke on the driveside to maintain chainring clearance while maximizing tire clearance, but it is a good option.

Also the style of cups and bearings pressed into these offer a more precise press allowing the bearings to be in better alignment (especially with aluminum, titanium, or steel Pressfit bearing shells). On carbon bikes with bonded-in aluminum shells, this isn't as big of deal due to the fact that the shells will not warp from welding and need to be honed post welding. Pressfit30 from SRAM does address this issue to some degree, but is not being widely utilized as of yet, nor is it widely available.

That being said, weigh your tire/chainring clearance needs and if you don't need anything radical, get something with a thread in shell.
    Exactly, I have a nice Hollowgram Sl 2x9 crank set that wants to play.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Scott Quiring Ti...........

http://quiringcycles.blogspot.com/

banned
    Quiring makes them in Ti

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondseye
    Looking for a ti, steel, or carbon 29er HT with a BB30. This will serve as my back up, and flat course race bike. I'm not interested in aluminum.
    Who builds them?
    So far I know:
    Cannondale - of course
    Tomac - aluminum
    Lynskey - as an option

Can anyone add to the list? yes, I tried the search function.

Thanks
    ti:
    Vertigo (me)
    Vulture
    Eriksen
    Black Sheep
    those guys in AZ from Titus

Steel:
    Signal
    Hufnagel
    Engin
    Vulture

You can ask any small or custom builder if they can do it. The answer is probably yes. It's important that they know the spec, what the tolerance is and that they either have the reaming tool or a mill with a boring head. Expect some upcharge.

Also, some of us are going PF30 now too, which, IMO is better from a manufacturing perspective. My ti PF30 shells from Paragon are lighter than the BB30 shells are 9 grams lighter although the system weight is slightly more due to the bearing shield with the PF30 cups. That's also an advantage IMO, you get a bearing shield inside the bb.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles

mtbr member
    Form Cycles in AZ... they make Ti and steel versions and both are awesome riding bikes...

http://www.formcycles.com/FORM_cycles/FORM.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

mtbr member

Sexy

Thanks all, great list!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Seven cycles

Members who have read this thread: 0