H-Bars vs Midge Bars- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

H-Bars vs Midge Bars

I’ve been running Midges for the past year, have them dialed in, and really like them.

However in my constant quest to support the bicycle industry, I’ve ordered a set of H-Bars from Jeff. I ride rigid/fixed with CX tires, and having recently moved to an area where the singletrack is swarming with roots and rocks, my wrists/arms have been taking a bit of a beating.

I figured the H-Bars might help to dampen some of the shock as well as provide some extra leverage to pull up the front end to clear said roots, but it looks like they’ll require a different setup.

If anyone has experience with both these bars, I’d appreciate some feedback regarding general impressions comparing the two, as well as the stem length/rise/stack height differences required to make them fit. This’ll give me a starting point with the stem issue.

Thanks for the help…RC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    If I were to go to an H-bar, I'd want to posistion the grips of the H-bar where the "hook" of my Midge bar is.
    That's what I figured, too.

Probably the best thing is to measure the height of the hooks on the Midge as well as the distance from the saddle tip, seatpost, whatever, then set the H-Bars there to start...Thanks!

Harmonius Wrench

A longer stem......

You're probably going to end up with a longer stem, that's for sure. We cannot see your Midge set up, but generally you have it set up with a steep rise stem, like 40 degrees, as I do with my Midge. If I were to go to an H-bar, I'd want to posistion the grips of the H-bar where the "hook" of my Midge bar is. At least that is how I would go about it. To do that, you will definitely have to go with a flat, zero degree stem, or maybe even a flipped 5-6 degree stem, depending, again, on what you've got for a set up now. That stem will certainly be longer than your current stem, at any rate!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xPneu

Probably the best thing is to measure the height of the hooks on the Midge as well as the distance from the saddle tip, seatpost, whatever, then set the H-Bars there to start...Thanks!
    With heavily swept bars, this is a good way to measure.

Some friends that have spent decent time on both are Allroy and AteMrYeats. Maybe they can give their impressions. They ended up preferring the more expensive bar...
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

Harmonius Wrench

There you go!

Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    With heavily swept bars, this is a good way to measure.
    Yep, that'll work! Good referance, Drevil!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

hispanic mechanic

Salsa Size-O-Matic...

Yup, take those measurements, then find a shop in your area that has a Salsa Size-O-Matic sizing stem. This device is a fully adjustable fitting stem that will allow you to find the perfect lenght and rise to get your H-Bar in the exact position as your Midge.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

Master of the Obvious
    You will find your pain should go away,
    I had a wrist injury from a crash that caused permanent damage, and one of the effects was swelling and eventually a cyst formed, I swichted to a H-Bar, then pain was immediatly eleviated, and over the course of two years the Cyst has shrunken to almost nothing....
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus
    You will find your pain should go away,
    I had a wrist injury from a crash that caused permanent damage, and one of the effects was swelling and eventually a cyst formed, I swichted to a H-Bar, then pain was immediatly eleviated, and over the course of two years the Cyst has shrunken to almost nothing....
    Hope you're right, for sure. Did you switch from flat or riser bars that were relatively straight?

The Midges put your hands/wrists in a really natural, comfortable position already, but I'm hoping the Ti will make a difference over the Al in terms of some shock absorption while maintaining a relatively natural hand position...

Master of the Obvious
    Hope you're right, for sure. Did you switch from flat or riser bars that were relatively straight?

The Midges put your hands/wrists in a really natural, comfortable position already, but I'm hoping the Ti will make a difference over the Al in terms of some shock absorption while maintaining a relatively natural hand position...
    I was riding Easton Carbon riser's before switching to H-Bars, never going back to to straight bar, and if it helps I have been running the H-Bars on a Rigid Karate Monkey and the pain still went away, there is some benefit with the Ti, it does absord some of the abuse...
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

Members who have read this thread: 0