H bar questions- Mtbr.com

Thread: H bar questions

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

H bar questions

So which shifters will work on an H bar?

My current setup is Avid mechanicals with Deore shifters.

Can I perhaps run some SRAM twist shifters? Where would I put them on the bars?

Harmonius Wrench

Twist shifters not recommended

I understand that Jeff Jones recommends either a thumb shifter set-up, or "STI" style "flippy" shifters from shimano as the only thing that will work with the H bars. I'm sure there are some actual "deviant" users that may reply?
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Recovering couch patato
    I still have to try on mine, whether I could live with twist shifters. The bulge on the clamps is the main problem apparently, as it kills the smoothness of hand transitions, and takes away some handposition options. I like the SRAM trigger shifters, but would have to figure out how that all fits without killing the nice tapejob that's on mine now. Longer-blade brake levers might help for some shifter setups, so I'm holding on to a set of Vuelta USA Mag levers I got with some V's.
    Does Shitmano offer LX level Flippers already? LX is good enough for most parts, and would make things less painful that 2 years ago when there was only XTR. With shifters and brakes at least, Deore has always served me well.
    My little theory with flippers : I think I'll like them more with a regular RD than with the intended rapid rise.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

minister of chaos
    I tried SRAM triggers and Shimano RF with little luck. It is too hard to get the triggers in a comfortable position without them hitting the crossbar.

As for LX. The shifters are avaliable. They have changed the lever a bit and also made the shift throw shorter. It takes a bit more force to shift, but it is a big improvement IMHO.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    I still have to try on mine, whether I could live with twist shifters. The bulge on the clamps is the main problem apparently, as it kills the smoothness of hand transitions, and takes away some handposition options. I like the SRAM trigger shifters, but would have to figure out how that all fits without killing the nice tapejob that's on mine now. Longer-blade brake levers might help for some shifter setups, so I'm holding on to a set of Vuelta USA Mag levers I got with some V's.
    Does Shitmano offer LX level Flippers already? LX is good enough for most parts, and would make things less painful that 2 years ago when there was only XTR. With shifters and brakes at least, Deore has always served me well.
    My little theory with flippers : I think I'll like them more with a regular RD than with the intended rapid rise.
    Frank Tuesday
    minister of chaos
    franktuesday.blogspot.com

Recovering couch patato
    I did the effort now. 104 or 155 Euro's at a random shop, for V or Disc versions. Looks like a nice option for H-bar users.
    I'm not a fan of the new STI idea, but for H it sorta makes sense. With a regular rear derailer, though. Maye a Suntour, if only just to PO Shidmano.

If I had more time, energy and money, I'd now be trying to find a manufacturer for my H-bar specific design for V-levers. And while I'm on it, why not a universal hydro version that can be adjusted to comply with any brand's flow ratio?
    Because there are ways to overcome that crossbar, oooh yes!
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Jan 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm My experience on shifters...

on the h-bar has been quite interesting...I have xtr 965...but the master cylinder blocks the curved ends from being grasped by full hands. I thought the xt might solve this but they were worse (the master cylnder is angled differently). The cable actuated duals clear the tops for use, but I wont give up my hydro's, I haveconsider modifying clamps for triggers(so they fit on mid bar, but am wary of wasting time if they end not working. SRAM would work better (with grinding of big thumb shifter), but the shift indicater on clamp make modification of clamp difficult at best. Thumbies are an option but lack the ergo of the others and inability to shift downhill hill to up smoothly w/o shifting grip that I luv the others. I am considering going with a Rolfhoff grip on one side on lower half of bar, but cannot find anyone whio is using this and give comment. I am thinking if the lower part could be lengthing for use with grips, It might be the ideal way...Even if I have to hold the grip in certian positoins. I am interested in any sshifting setups that have worked well for others and allowed them to run hydros.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Sounds as if the H bar might be more suited to SS use...

But I am open to any solutions for geared use!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Shifters, try some Bar Con

You could also use Bar-End shifters on the jones bars. Like tri-geeks use. Mount them on the forward extension or on the back. I would go for the forward, ripping your shifter off squeezing between two trees would hurt your feelings. It would hurt anyone's feelings. Jeff is super friendly on the phone. He personally likes Mountain STI shifters, the new style, but recognizes that not all of us want to drop so much cash on some integrated levers. He has also used the Paul's setup that adapts bar-end shifters to thumbies. He recommended the above to me as well. It will keep the bars nice and clean, allowing you to use all of the positions.

I wouldn't discount these for SS use. Anyone who puts long hours in the saddle and craves more than one or two hand positions can appreciate these. I would recomend these to anyone!

bike geek

Thumbies

Quote Originally Posted by JMKM
    He has also used the Paul's setup that adapts bar-end shifters to thumbies. He recommended the above to me as well. It will keep the bars nice and clean, allowing you to use all of the positions.
    I just got my H-Bar and Thumbies w/Dura Ace shifters in the mail yesterday. Hope to have it all set up soon. Will post impressions about the bar-con set up after some saddle time.