H-Bar, new alternatives- Mtbr.com
    gray hair in my shammy

H-Bar, new alternatives

Even though its ugly,(Padre?) I really like mine because it has eliminated my hand and wrist pain on rides. Aside from all the negatives We're all aware of, and they cost a bunch, they really have helped as far as comfort goes for me.
    I have a set of Mary's, they're ok, and the price is right, but they're heavy and stiff IMHO. I've heard some rumblings about Titec producing a Jones type bar. What I would like is a light weight,( Carbon maybe) version of the Mary, that I can easily put trigger shifters on, not change the length of my stem, be able to mount my light on and have it point forward, and not spend more on it that I spent on my entire drive train. Anyone have any info if something is in the works????
    "Veni, vedi, pulsus" "I came, I saw, I pushed"

And He was Not
    I love my Mary bars, but I wished they were lighter also. I weighed some wraped Jones bars and some naked Marys and the weight was very close. With extra leverage, I'm not sure carbon would be a good alternative.

I never even considered the light mounting problem. That will be interesting to work around.
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

Master of the Obvious
    sounds like the Titec bar is close to being available .............
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus
    Whoa, secret spy pic?

mtbr member
    and so good looking too ;-)

HIKE!

Yup 31.8

It is 31.8, and has been listed in the QBP Online catalog quite a while, HB2340, will sell for $59.99+ depending how badly your LBS wants to bend you over, and the estimated time of arrival is _________ (still blank, no ETA just yet)

what a joke
    it looks like its 31.8?
    blah blah blah

Master of the Obvious
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Whoa, secret spy pic?
    I don't know that its secret, I found it on Singlespeedoutlaw.com
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Why the extra bend from the stem clamp? That is only going to increase the stem length necessary to get your hands in the correct place.

OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

Harmonius Wrench

They are listed in the QBP "bible"

We got our Quality Bicycle Parts "bibles" in at the shop today and the Titec bars are listed. The pic in this thread is the same as the one in our catalog.

I am ordering one, so as soon as they become available, I will let you all know.

Yes, they are 31.8 bars. ( groan!) I do not see the necessity of that standard myself, but at less than half of what a Jones titanium H-bar costs, I'm willing to try this!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Check out a Bontrager Satellite Trekking bar. Looks VERY similar to a Mary and costs $15 from any Trek dealer. Silver instead of black if that matters.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Like I said the first time I saw pictures of the prototype - the riser and the forward sweep are a brilliant way to eff up what I thought was a very clever handlebar package. The original Jones bar has a flat section in the middle, allowing for yet another place to put your hands. With this forward sweep, putting your hands there would feel totally unnatural, wouldn't it. If anything, a slight rearward sweep - but still flat - might've been a clever innovation on the design.

But what helps me get over all this is the price point. Seeing as I would probably use the swept sections 90% of the time anyway, it would be well worth it to at least try out the design.

May 2005
    I can guess why they added a rise to the bar (so folks who run risers [i.e., almost everybody] can "upgrade" to the Titec bars without buying a new stem), but it seems kind of lame to make a compromise in the design like that. It makes them heavier and more ugly. That said, I've been wanting to try out an H-bar, so I'll probably be picking up a pair.

Recovering couch patato
    SpinWheels, for me the same arguments mean the opposite. I like this new design beter exactly because of the EXTRA hand position.
    with all the nice and natural handpositions on the H, I never could bear holding that centerbar. Too darn straight. If I want to suffer, I'll get the road bike for that. Forward angled center baris totally logical for me. You can keep your flat/riser bar stem, and with your enbows pointing out, your wrists can hold the bars ultimately relaxed. On the Trekking bars I've run, I like the slight forward swept he middle section had for exactly such a position.
    I can't wait to own an FS marathon bike with long fork so I have a reason to mount that Titec H flipped. Should be better still.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was just down at the shop today puttering around and installing my satellite trekking bar. Preliminary "riding the bike around the shop because its freaking cold out" tests are inconclusive. Once it gets warm (April) I'll give it another go on real trails. I'll need to dial in the tilt because I was getting pressure on a spot on the heel of my hand, but other than that, the bar felt pretty natural.

oh, I also spent some time paging through the quality catalog. some pretty new stuff this year...
    YO MAMA

mtbr member

Jeff & Titec better get after Bike Friday

Oh-No look a competitor..... I think I'll stay with my Jones for now. And they even call them H-bars.

dirty hippy mountainbiker
    http://www.niterider.com/accessories.php?type=mounts

I use the universal mount with no problems.

But there's enough space on the mary to mount right at the stem and have the light pointing MOSTLY forward. Good enough for commuting at least. But for off road a bar mounted light is MOSTLY useless.

-M
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

In FTF We Trust
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I'm with you-pukeola those are fugly! Yes, I just invented the word pukeola.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkbike2
    Oh-No look a competitor..... I think I'll stay with my Jones for now. And they even call them H-bars.
    do these seperate in the middle? how do you get shifters/ levers on?

meh....
    No kidding.

Why do bar-ends look so bad on risers?

Monte

Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkbike2

These bars pre-date the Jones by years.

Bike Friday folding bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I think that it is a well-thought out design compromise aimed at a logical differentiation from Jeff's product.

Those who are willing to pay for the Ti version probably don't have much against buying a new stem to make it fit better, but this one is meant for those who are more price-sensitive. Most who would be switching to these would be coming off a riser bar, so making this one a riser makes sense. The forward extentension preserves the proper hand placement so that you don't need to get a longer stem.

As Cloxxi pointed out, the bar could be flipped, providing a new and different hand position as well as providing a bit of drop for riders wanting that (small 29'ers with tall front ends).

As for ruining the design, I look forward to being able to take advantage of the new possibilities as well as running them without shims using Thomson X4 stems. It won't keep me from distributing H-Bars over here, but having an "entry level" model should make it easier to bring positive attention to the design.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daner
    Most who would be switching to these would be coming off a riser bar, so making this one a riser makes sense. The forward extentension preserves the proper hand placement so that you don't need to get a longer stem.
    So long as you have a 31.8mm stem already.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfy
    http://www.niterider.com/accessories.php?type=mounts

I use the universal mount with no problems.

But there's enough space on the mary to mount right at the stem and have the light pointing MOSTLY forward. Good enough for commuting at least. But for off road a bar mounted light is MOSTLY useless.

-M
    I mount my light on the forward portion of the mary bar, near the brake lever. I have a bell in the same position on the other side. I like the more forward position that position offers as the light shines in your eyes less when you're climbing out of the saddle.

I also use a Dinotte 5W LED lamp, on a helmet mount.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonassterling
    These bars pre-date the Jones by years.

Bike Friday folding bikes.
    Jeff's first patent application (now abandoned) was written mostly around the concept of "brake levers in front of the bar, main hand grip behind". In that case, the Bike Friday bars don't predate it, as the main grip is in front of the bar.

Jeff's patent attourney told me the other week "We have filed a new patent application and are Jeff's H-bar is still patent pending. We have also decided to keep things a little less public this time by requesting that the new application not be published."

He also confirmed that the Mary bar doesn't infringe his patent :-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    So long as you have a 31.8mm stem already.
    That will be a sore spot with some, but I like the X4 and X2 stems better and am tired of stocking 25.4, 26.0 and 31.8 so I would just as soon move as many as possible (both road and MTB) to 31.8 as soon as possible. Even if it is not necessary from a practical perspective with Al, I'll take any margin of safety that I can get with the carbon stuff.

No Justice = No Peace

Very smalll

Quote Originally Posted by TACSTS
    Check out a Bontrager Satellite Trekking bar. Looks VERY similar to a Mary and costs $15 from any Trek dealer. Silver instead of black if that matters.
    I ordered some of these bars, and although they were surprisingly good quality for 15 bucks, they are not a mary bar in silver. I declined the order cause they were way too narrow.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

Jan 2006
    Love the Mary's. I know the weight isn't as great as it would be w/ carbon, but the comfort and leverage beat out weight all day long w/ me.

My only deal w/ the H-Bar design is the use of only a few types of shifters etc. Mary bars have addressed the issue to where you can run whatever, which I like.

Maybe with enough preorders, I guess all that is left is to say is, "COME ON BRANT MAKE A CARBON VERSION"! hahahahahaha seriously just kidding buddy, or am I??

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004

not the best location

I mount my light on the forward portion of the mary bar, near the brake lever. I have a bell in the same position on the other side. I like the more forward position that position offers as the light shines in your eyes less when you're climbing out of the saddle..
    I mounted my lite there, and promptly broke it off during a crash. it sits high and exposed right there in the crook of the bend.

Any new bars from the imagination of On-One? I wanna wide Mungo. as wide as Mary at least. think about it.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecop
    Any new bars from the imagination of On-One? I wanna wide Mungo. as wide as Mary at least. think about it.
    The Mungo is 515mm wide while the Mary is 645mm wide. That's quite a range there. There is a moustache bar that sort of 'bridges' the gap between the two, from Nashbar, that measures 560mm. They drop lower than the Nitto or On*One bars, but I really dig the width.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutarious
    I ordered some of these bars, and although they were surprisingly good quality for 15 bucks, they are not a mary bar in silver. I declined the order cause they were way too narrow.
    Mary's are 645mm, Satellites are 630mm. About 1/2 an inch of difference. For my use, 15mm isn't a big deal.

mtbr member
    I mounted my lite there, and promptly broke it off during a crash. it sits high and exposed right there in the crook of the bend.

I crashed on mine yesterday. It spun around. Perhaps yours was done up too tight :-)

New bars? I have an idea. Need a little time on this one. A kind of mary, fleegle, mungo combo. But it might only work in my head.

mtbr member
    Mary's are 645mm, Satellites are 630mm. About 1/2 an inch of difference. For my use, 15mm isn't a big deal.
    15mm at the ends.

But ours are 37.5deg, and Bontragers are 20 degs, so that's actually quite a big difference in grip position.

Different is good though!

gray hair in my shammy
    15mm at the ends.

But ours are 37.5deg, and Bontragers are 20 degs, so that's actually quite a big difference in grip position.

Brant,
    Mary + Carbon = GOOD, Oh hell, Mary + Ti = GOOD too. I'd buy one!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    15mm at the ends.

Yeah I hadn't considered the difference in sweep. I almost bought Mary's, they're a great looking piece, but for my budget on this bike (commuter), cheapness won out. I still might have to look into some Mary's for my main off road ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Bashturd
    Brant,
    Mary + Carbon = GOOD, Oh hell, Mary + Ti = GOOD too. I'd buy one!!!!!
    Carbon? We did get a quote. But I could buy a new car with the money the tooling would cost. A *really nice* new car too!

and the ti people couldn't do it bulged, and it would be shimmed and just not right...

gray hair in my shammy
    Carbon? We did get a quote. But I could buy a new car with the money the tooling would cost. A *really nice* new car too!

and the ti people couldn't do it bulged, and it would be shimmed and just not right...
    Oh Well,
    Couldn't hurt to ask. I do like the Mary, and love the Midge on my fixie.

Moderator Moderator
    These are very close to being for sale.

Ti Moustache bars...

Recovering couch patato
    That's wide. Wow.

Map Maker
    I crashed on mine yesterday. It spun around. Perhaps yours was done up too tight :-)

New bars? I have an idea. Need a little time on this one. A kind of mary, fleegle, mungo combo. But it might only work in my head.

I was thinking of a cross between the Fleegle and a Mary -
    a Meegle. Some thing with about 22 -27 deg of sweep.

As a proud owner of both Fleegle and Mary and very happy with both , it seems something right in the middle of the two would be the "PERFECT" bars kind of like the Holy Grail of bars.
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

mtbr member
    Its a tough call when it comes to comfort. I've been scouring ebay and have come up with a few options. Anyone ever try one of these?? I'm thinking there are nice hand positions on them all...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ape-Hanger-Cruis...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/HANDLEBARS-SCHWI...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCHWINN-1990S-BE...QQcmdZViewItem

what a joke
    Quote Originally Posted by brewdog
    Its a tough call when it comes to comfort. I've been scouring ebay and have come up with a few options. Anyone ever try one of these?? I'm thinking there are nice hand positions on them all...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ape-Hanger-Cruis...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/HANDLEBARS-SCHWI...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCHWINN-1990S-BE...QQcmdZViewItem

Ape hanger all the way!!!!

But seriously, I like the look of the bar that Oswald posted a pic of in the Manufacturers forum. A ti version of that would be sweet.
    blah blah blah

Oct 2004

ti moustache

there was a blurb in the latest rivendell reader about a ti moustache bars possibility. nitto made. if they deside to build them. $100.

i'd try em.

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow

Ti Moustache bars...
    Who makes these beauties???

Feb 2005

I'll take the shim any day if I can ride Ti Marys.

Maybe I need to find a length of 22.2 Ti and have a go at it.

Devo

its about leverage?

obviously its about leverage?
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

Recovering couch patato
    I only see it now, the Titec H-Bar is set at 390g now. Real thing is 310g, mine was 352g with Cork grips and tape installed.
    If you get the Titec, don't forget to order a stash of Dimension Cork grips for is : HT1307. Same ones (maybe rebranded) that Jones uses.

Interlectchewal

Titec H-Bar Listed at Universal Cycles

I've heard some rumblings about Titec producing a Jones type bar. . . . Anyone have any info if something is in the works????
    Universal Cycles in now listing the Titec H-Bar, though it is not currently available. They show the picture that Angus posted a few days ago.

Here's the listed specs:

Bar Clamp Diameter: 31.8 mm
    Color: Black
    Material: 6061
    Width: 670 mm
    Bar Rise: 37 mm
    Weight: 390.0 g
    Price: $49.99

mtbr member

Ti Moustache bars...
    Yeah, they look super cool. But even with the longer radius of the handlebar curve, it still looks like mounting mountain brake levers on the front of the curve (where you'd put road levers on an XO-1-type moustache bar) would put the lever too far from the bar to reach easily. What's the experience like riding them?

It reminds me, if I had unlimited stable space for bicycles, one of them would definitely be a moustache-bar'ed single speed "cafe & trail" bike. Coffee and singletrack, that's <i>my</i> kinda hybrid.

Alex

Jan 2006

Brant, just want you to know you have ruined me!! I rode a loaner bike yesterday while out of town and hated the regular riser bar. Got home to my bike today w/ the Mary's and everything was ok again. I can't ride a bike w/out the Mary's anymore, so my friend you have made a customer for life!! hahaha.

P.S. good work on the 29'er fork, just picked one up last week and it rides great!!!

mtbr member

I can't believe no one...

..has mentioned these. Thoughts opinions? I wonder how well they'd do off road, they're silly wide @ 762mm

Harmonius Wrench

Cooks Brothers bars

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    ..has mentioned these. Thoughts opinions? I wonder how well they'd do off road, they're silly wide @ 762mm
    I've read that they are clunky and cumbersome off road. The Nitto North Roads bar would be a better choice, in my opinion.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member

Links please

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    I've read that they are clunky and cumbersome off road. The Nitto North Roads bar would be a better choice, in my opinion.
    You don't happen to have the link for the review do you (yes, I'm too lazy to do a search)

or a link to the Nitto's would be sweet too.

Thanks

Moderator Moderator

Check this out

You guys need to look at these.

http://genericcycles.tripod.com/stuff.htm

He is a brand new company but has been building bikes helping another builder often posted here for a while.

Very off road worth W I D E bars, a la Moustache/cruiser/priest style.
    Front Range Forum Moderator

Harmonius Wrench

Yep! That'd work!

You guys need to look at these.

http://genericcycles.tripod.com/stuff.htm

He is a brand new company but has been building bikes helping another builder often posted here for a while.

Very off road worth W I D E bars, a la Moustache/cruiser/priest style.
    I concur! Those definitely would be an awesome bar. Titanium in that width would have to be very shock absorbing, at least I would think so. Also, very pricy! Perhaps in the Jeff Jones area? I didn't see a price.

Speaking of other builders, the top tube brace wouldn't be the tip-off to the builder formerly worked for, would it? Not to mention the titanium connection. Hmm.........

Fat Bob: The convrsation involving the Cooks Brothers bars was had in the Vintage, Retro, and Classics thread some time ago. A search of that forum should yield you your desired results. (You think you are "lazy"! )
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member

Ti Moustache bars...
    now that is nice!!!! maybe a bit wide but damn I want a set.

let us know when they become available

Will

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004

Hurry up!

Need a little time on this one.
    We WANT new bars. We NEED new bars. We MUST HAVE new bars.
    (w/apologies to Invader Zim)

Do It NOW! (w/Arnold accent).

mtbr member
    We WANT new bars. We NEED new bars. We MUST HAVE new bars.
    (w/apologies to Invader Zim)

Do It NOW! (w/Arnold accent).
    It is forming in my mind. Nearly there. Might have to find a local tube bender to modify something we make already.

Moderator Moderator
    That obvious, huh?
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Bonty pics??

Hi,

Great thread, some nice alternatives listed. Any chance of getting a pic of the Bontrager trekking bar? Sounds like a good (read: inexpensive) option for my next project. Thanks, and once newest incarnation is done will post pics of my own.

We Need More Cowbell....

Recovering couch patato
    Search for "Satellite" (sp) which is the bar's name. Various threads show pics of it as I recall. Welcome to the forums!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Generic bars....

He's a good friend, i have frame #2. And those bars well, you have to know him, built like a spider monkey. They are quite comfy and he rode them at the 24 hrs of moab last year.

I like endos

the owner of a lbs informed me that

he was on the planning committee for that bar and said there would be a 25.4 clamp, non riser, straight extension version for sale by late summer. Maybe just hearsay, but a reliable source.
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

Baby Bear is in the house

to resurrect an old thread...

What do you guys think of the Bontrager Satellite Elite Carbon? It's basically a riser with built-in "bar ends" stuck in the middle portion:

Even though its ugly,(Padre?) I really like mine because it has eliminated my hand and wrist pain on rides. Aside from all the negatives We're all aware of, and they cost a bunch, they really have helped as far as comfort goes for me.
    I have a set of Mary's, they're ok, and the price is right, but they're heavy and stiff IMHO. I've heard some rumblings about Titec producing a Jones type bar. What I would like is a light weight,( Carbon maybe) version of the Mary, that I can easily put trigger shifters on, not change the length of my stem, be able to mount my light on and have it point forward, and not spend more on it that I spent on my entire drive train. Anyone have any info if something is in the works????
    Last edited by r1Gel; 07-11-2006 at 11:17 PM.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by rigel
    What do you guys think of the Bontrager Satellite Elite Carbon? It's basically a riser with built-in "bar ends" stuck in the middle portion:
    It is still just a straight bar. The basic hand position is no different than any other flat or riser bar.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Recovering couch patato
    :-) Straight bar, booooo!! :-)

I love the horns on it though. Can't Bontrager just rip off the Mary idea and tweakit a bit, with horns, in carbon? IMO that above bar is a bit wasted tooling costs. Then, the MTB world may not be ready for a mass-produced $$$ bar that's actually comfortable ;-)

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    How about these?

dirty hippy mountainbiker

Why a bar?

1) Why not make a clamp-on bar end to go on a straight flat bar to mimic the welded H-bar? You can cut down the original bar to your exact desired width. I think I saw a pic of Kent Peterson's GDR bike where he had two sets of bar ends working like that. I gues it would have to be a good clamp...

2) Anyone use a Mary with bar ends? I'm thinking ther ergo control 2 for another climbing hand position, not leverage.

-M
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    :-) Straight bar, booooo!! :-)

I love the horns on it though. Can't Bontrager just rip off the Mary idea and tweakit a bit, with horns, in carbon? IMO that above bar is a bit wasted tooling costs. Then, the MTB world may not be ready for a mass-produced $$$ bar that's actually comfortable ;-)
    No carbon!
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    I've got one.

Also, don't forget the Misfit Psycles FU Bar...
    https://www.misfitpsycles.com/catalo...roducts_id/130

Jun 2006
    easy there rockhound. im on the case mate. flogging nogears produce for your gain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhound
    How about these?

Who makes that Bar, Rockhound?

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I've seen that bar on sites that sell right out of the QBP catalog. It's an aluminum Dimension bar. First thing that came to mind was whether or not I could take a pipe cutter to that thing and cut away the middle section of that bowed section in the front. Would look like a makeshift Jones H-bar. You'd be missing the flat section on either side of the stem as a grip position. It's supposed to be 680mm26.8" wide, as compared to the Jones H-bar, which is 26" wide, I think. Supposed to be a 25-degree sweep.

For a mere $17, it might be interesting to fool around with it.

i don't give a shift
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    I've seen that bar on sites that sell right out of the QBP catalog. It's an aluminum Dimension bar. First thing that came to mind was whether or not I could take a pipe cutter to that thing and cut away the middle section of that bowed section in the front. Would look like a makeshift Jones H-bar. You'd be missing the flat section on either side of the stem as a grip position. It's supposed to be 680mm26.8" wide, as compared to the Jones H-bar, which is 26" wide, I think. Supposed to be a 25-degree sweep.

You'll run a high risk to break the bar if you cut it. It wasn't designed like that and you'll put a lot of torsional stress on the welds. The bar's only $17; the emergency room could cost a whole lot more.

Recovering couch patato
    Jones bar is even wider and 45.
    If it's really 680mm, the Dimension sure is interesting.

Also look at the ITM Retro bar as used on Trek and Kona bikes. ~25 and 660mm, I think. Come in steel and alu. Pics on this forum.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    First thing that came to mind was whether or not I could take a pipe cutter to that thing and cut away the middle section of that bowed section in the front.

OMG, I wouldn't attempt that! Why does it matter if it has material in front anyway. You could mount a light in the center up there...

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie_ona_mision
    easy there rockhound. im on the case mate. flogging nogears produce for your gain
    Oh bugger, don't be a drongo whose kangaroos are loose in the paddock.

Abso-bloody-lutely, mate. You caught me. Now don't start a barney in here.

So what if I barrack for Nogs.

mtbr member

QBP says...

Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    If it's really 680mm, the Dimension sure is interesting.
    25 degree and 640mm width.

mtbr member

Which websites have the Quality Catalog online?

oops, nevermind.
    Last edited by ajbuilder; 08-26-2006 at 08:57 PM.
    carpe diem..........

Transplant
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbuilder
    oops, nevermind.
    Alfred E Bike has it.

mtbr member
    If Titec was smart, they'd have done that bar as an 'inverted riser'.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods

Wow...

Ti Moustache bars...
    Now that's a bar I can wrap my hands around. The 'Tree Hook' on the front of the H-Bar is just not kosher with me. I think that they'd be great without that and about 1"-2" shorter.

However, a moustache/Mary sort of thing in Ti would really float my boat.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Speed
    Now that's a bar I can wrap my hands around. The 'Tree Hook' on the front of the H-Bar is just not kosher with me. I think that they'd be great without that and about 1"-2" shorter.

If you can hook a tree with the front of a H-bar you have BIG problems (like the fact that you are about to crash front on into a tree).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TR
    If you can hook a tree with the front of a H-bar you have BIG problems (like the fact that you are about to crash front on into a tree).
    I must admit if I thought my H-bars were about to hook a tree, I know I'd be pretty much bu66ered anyhow!

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Speed

Oh yeah.
    Forgot that the latest H-bars are available in a narrower width.
    Compared both versions at MTBPrecision the other day.
    Still have the hook though which could hook on a tree (and perhaps save you from a near fatal head on collision).

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If you are referring to Titec's H-bar, why not just turn it over? Nothing more than a sticker that would prevent that.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods

... and if we just ... Well... you might be right

Quote Originally Posted by TR
    However... nevermind. ;-) You win.

dtheo
    Sep 2005

Nitto H bar

Anyone try or have any ideas on this bar?
    It looks like a 3 speed bar but can be run upside down.
    Spec:
    60mm rise
    540mm width
    80 degree bend

DT

Nov 2005

only one...

The only thought I have on that topic, is to wonder why anyone would call it an H bar. That looks more like a "W" to me.

Recovering couch patato
    Bontrager trekking bar, Aebike.com :

Color Black
    Weight 342 g
    Width 640 mm
    Bar Rise 80 mm
    Bar Clamp Diameter 25.4 mm
    Bend 25 deg

80mm Rise?

There used to be "Retro" bars, used on Kona choppers as I recall. Very similar, with forward sweep built into the crossbar. Hard to tell from the pic whether the Dimension has any. Great "poor man's H-bar" though.
    The Retro's horns were also continious.

Members who have read this thread: 1