Gunnar Rockhound frame, Bikesdirect for parts?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Gunnar Rockhound frame, Bikesdirect for parts?

I'm kinda having the jones for a nice steel 29er hardtail, and have pretty much decided on the Gunnar Rockhound. Possibly a Niner MCR, but I like the idea of an American made steel frame.

So I'm looking at this

and figure I can pick this up from Bikesdirect to use for parts for the time being.

What problems might I run into doing this? From what I can see so far, I'll probably need a new front derailleur, or at least a new clamp to fit the smaller diameter steel frame. Also a new BB for the 73mm shell. Then just upgrade/swap out parts over time as I have the money, starting with fork and wheelset.

The square taper cranks and BB aren't thrilling me, but they'll work ok until I can upgrade. The only think I'm worried about is that they only have the 15" frame in stock, when I'll need a 17" from Gunnar, and I'm hoping the fork steerer isn't cut too short to fit on the larger frame.

But everything else should swap over just fine, right?

mtbr member
    That's certainly one way to get a bike rolling on a budget. There's a good chance you'll also need new cables. Odds are the cable stops are in different places.

If you are in a rush to get a bike rolling your plan sounds ok. Not sure how much you plan to ride or how hard you are on parts but it won't be long before you are itching to upgrade some of those parts. While they are better than the junk on walmart bikes, they are on the lower end of the spectrum for a serious mountain bike.

If you are not in a rush then maybe save a little longer and wait for a sale or a deal on a used bike that won't need upstaged as soon.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    The Gunnar is a good frame. The MCR is a better frame and Niner is clearing them out for $669. Hard to pass up. You can get it any Niner dealer or Speedgoat on the web. I got a Niner Jet9 on sale from Golden bike Shop with no tax and free shipping.

The Dart fork is a POS. Either of these frames deserves better!
    60; it's the new 40!

Tulsa
    i'd look at the cliff pro, it's probably worth the extra $200 and looks to be available in large(?)
    wherever you go, there you are

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    yeah, but that would need new seatpost and headset, in addition to the derailleur and BB.

Perhaps the extra $200 would be better for the 2010 fantom Pro? Is the Tora that much a step up above the Dart? Big upgrade in cranks and brakes.
    Last edited by rufus; 12-25-2010 at 01:48 PM.

Tulsa
    the dart is a throwaway, the tora a heavy yet solid fork option, true on the post, they can be had for 20 on fleabay and cane creek S3s can be found for another 30. Thinks do start adding up quickly though.
    wherever you go, there you are

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Yeah, but if I was gonna have to replace anything straight off, i'd replace it with the stuff I really wanted, rather than get something else cheap and end up replacing that too. So a top line King or Cane Creek headset and a Thomson seatpost would be a little more than I'd want to spend right off.

First upgrades would be a better fork and wheelset. I figure brakes and shifters, bars, seatpost and stems, etc., can be ridden until they fail if necessary, and won't make that much difference in the overall ride, but better wheels and fork will be a huge difference, more than any other change will make.

And Sweeney, what makes the Niner the better frame? Speedgoat's blow out priced frames are mediums, while I would need a small, definitely.
    Last edited by rufus; 12-25-2010 at 02:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Looking at this link from Sram,

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/...0Cranksets.pdf

it appears I wouldn't need a new bottom bracket after all. It looks as if the Truvativ crank and BB are set up to achieve the correct chain line with a 73mm bottom bracket. For a 68mm BB, you need to install two 2.5mm spacers to achieve the same chain line. So if I'm reading this right, the two spacers will be installed on the BB used in the Motobecane, and all I'd need to do is remove them to fit the BB into the 73mm BB of the Gunnar.

mtbr member
    ''And Sweeney, what makes the Niner the better frame? Speedgoat's blow out priced frames are mediums, while I would need a small, definitely''

If you want the Gunnar by all means get it and don't let me talk you out of it. It's a good frame make with top line tubing..........but; Gunnar has been around for a long time and never has gotten any real traction. I've looked at them several times but can never find much that tells me they know much about 29er, roadrace, or 26 inch mt bike geometry. Waterford makes great touring bikes and people lust for them, but not me. Niner on the other hand has only been around for a short time but they are one of the companies who laid down the basics of what works for a @9er. Their success isn't based on a sexy name or the funny things they write on their frames. They're successful because their bikes work. Plain and simple.

Check with you local Niner dealer for the price. they should give it to you but you might have missed the boat on the smalls. If you get nowhere check with Golden Bike
    http://goldenbikeshop.com/ They sold me a Jet9 a month ago for $1199 with no tax and no shipping charge. They might be able to help you

I have to say also that I don't agree with the idea of buying the Moto for parts. There are too many things that you don't want and have to buy elsewhere. Just get the frame you want, get a wheelset from Stan's and start combing the web for good deals on everything else. Don't buy anything unless you get the best price. You'll have everything by spring and have the bike 99% just the way you want it.
    60; it's the new 40!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Unfortunately, I won't have everything by spring. Too many bills to pay elsewhere. If I buy this Bikesdirect bike now, I'll be lucky to have the Gunnar frame by spring. If I pass on the Moto, that'll barely pay for the wheels for the new build.

If I'm gonna build that up the way I want, then we're talking around $600 for a set of Stans built on Hope hubs, and then what, $700 or so for a nice Fox fork. Also looking at Hope brakes and maybe BB, King headset and Thomson stem and seatpost. That's close to 2 grand right there, and no way I'll have that kind of money in a year. I could possibly have enough for the new wheelset and maybe get a closeout deal on a fork by next fall. If I buy the Moto for parts, I'll be riding the Gunnar for all that time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Sounds like a god plan. Check the steerer tube length. Someone else said they ordered an XL so they had a longer steerer.

I'm just messing with you
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus
    If I'm gonna build that up the way I want, then we're talking around $600 for a set of Stans built on Hope hubs, and then what, $700 or so for a nice Fox fork. Also looking at Hope brakes and maybe BB, King headset and Thomson stem and seatpost. That's close to 2 grand right there
    Since you set your sights so high, it sounds to me that you'll just be disappointed if you build it using the bikesdirect bike. I'd just wait if I felt that way.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

get down!
    I'll have a whole XT group I could sell you in about an hour as well as a 2011 Reba for cheap. The XT stuff is new and the Reba is in great shape. I'll buy an ad if you're interested.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

banned
    Why not just buy a used bike at an auction site or classifieds? Theres tons of bargains this time of year. I recently picked up a HT that cost over $3K for $1400 bucks shipped. Only had to change the saddle and bars for fit and personally preference. Turned around and sold both the originals at auction and came out a little ahead on parts swap.

Let someone else take the hit on the original bill. Then, ride it like you stole it for half the price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Cause maybe I don't want a used bike?

In any event, as much as it pains me, as hard as it is for me to resist, I've decided to hold off. It's a matter of want versus need, and as much as I might want a nice steel hardtail 29'er, I don't really need one. What I need is to pay off some credit cards, and ride my RM Blizzard a lot more.

Now whether I can actually live by this decision, I don't know.
    Last edited by rufus; 12-27-2010 at 03:47 PM.

banned
    Lots of like new bikes for sale that have barely been ridden.Seen 3 gunnars in past couple of month on e bay go reasonably priced.

Q: Whats the difference between a year old bike that never gets riden,collecting dust in the stable and a new bike?????

A: a grand or two.

It was simply a suggestion. Good luck with the donor build.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    I own a gunnar rockhound 26 er , I bought it off ebay as new old stock and built it up witha 2007 reba wc and a xt SOS wheelset on special from bww .. I got the whole thing built for under a 1000 total by taking my time and working ebay with patience for new cheap parts that work great : like an slx crank, x7 shifters and RD and shimano m485 hydro brakes

i highly recommend gunnar as I love my 26er rockhound and I recommend skipping the donor bike and taking your time to get the components you need for your riding needs

watch the web and be patient and you will be rewarded with nice deals

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Well, I was gonna bag the whole thing, and just pocket the cash, but I'm weak. Realized I'd been spacing the standover measurement on Niner's and a medium was actually the size I needed after all, so I took the plunge and ordered a medium root beer MCR9 from Tree Fort Bikes, who were matching the other web vendors' blowout prices, and offering free shipping.

Still gonna grab the Motobecane from Bikesdirect though, as except for wheels and the fork, the parts spec is really pretty decent, I could live with it as at least I'll be riding the thing, and not staring at it across the room and getting all depressed. For $1500, I'll have a really nice steel 29'er hardtail.

Still be watching the web for nice deals.

I still think you're setting yourself up for a disappointing build, unless you move up several rungs on the Motobecane ladder.

OTOH, you're supporting the economy, so spend baby spend

Be sure to be smart about the steerer length - I wasn't and ended up replacing the CSU on the Reba from the Moto I used for parts.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    CSU?

It's not my dream build, but it's solid, workmanlike stuff. SLX, some XT, Avid. Only really weak stuff would be wheels, I guess(not too familiar with the WTB stuff) and the fork, and those are the first two upgrades to be done. All the other stuff should work fine until it fails, or I finally replace it.

Be more disappointing to be staring at the thing across the room, and wishing I could be riding it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Gunnar has been around for a long time and never has gotten any real traction? What a ridiculous statement. If it never got traction, how has Gunnar managed to stay in business so long? Gunnar serves a niche market. They only make steel hardtail frames of multiple varieties - not just 29ers. They do next to no marketting. They do nothing fancy or flashy or trendy. And they have all the traction they need. When Niner gets bought by Trek or Pacific in a couple years, Richard Schwinn will still be crafting beautiful American-made, steel Gunnar frames in Waterford, WI.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Troll
    Lots of like new bikes for sale that have barely been ridden.Seen 3 gunnars in past couple of month on e bay go reasonably priced.

Q: Whats the difference between a year old bike that never gets riden,collecting dust in the stable and a new bike?????

A: a grand or two.

It was simply a suggestion. Good luck with the donor build.
    A warranty But I do still think a used bike was a good suggestion.

mtbr member
    Well, I was gonna bag the whole thing, and just pocket the cash, but I'm weak. Realized I'd been spacing the standover measurement on Niner's and a medium was actually the size I needed after all, so I took the plunge and ordered a medium root beer MCR9 from Tree Fort Bikes, who were matching the other web vendors' blowout prices, and offering free shipping.

Still gonna grab the Motobecane from Bikesdirect though, as except for wheels and the fork, the parts spec is really pretty decent, I could live with it as at least I'll be riding the thing, and not staring at it across the room and getting all depressed. For $1500, I'll have a really nice steel 29'er hardtail.

Still be watching the web for nice deals.
    Congrats on the MCR, Rufus! I've been on mine for about a year now and it's an awesome ride. Keep your eyes open for a used Reba on the mtbr classifieds or elsewhere.....they can be had for around 200 or less. Or, you could always grab a niner ridgid steel fork to compliment your 853 frame. Put aside at least $400 for a good set of wheels.

banned

congrats

Congrats on the MCR! nice choice. It's winter time. Even FL is frozen at the moment. Not like you can ride in most parts of the country anytime soon. Do some research and ease into it. You already have a nice frame to build on.

As you might be able to tell. I'm still not a big fan of the donor bike. As others have mentioned. You have high expectations and might be setting yourself up for hassles and disappointment. Wheels and front fork are usually the next most expensive things on a bike other, than the frame (My wheelset actually cost more than the frame). You could always pick up great used or marked down/close out wheels and forks and come out ahead. If funds are tight you can save money on fit items such as stems, post, bars etc.... till you get the fit you like on the new MCR. Then spring for bling on components.

Take a deep breath and relax. Spring is'nt going to get here any sooner.

Edit: Forgot to add that your coming from a 26" RM Blizzard?? Keep in mind 29ers have a higher front end. I've swapped two seatpost, three stems, three bars and countless spacers trying to get the ideal fit. If your comfy on the RM. Take as many measurements as possible and try to replicate. I suspect once you get to ride the MCR. The RM will go up for sale to fuel the 29er bug. 29er HT's are a hoot to ride. See ya on the trail.
    Last edited by Mojo Troll; 12-29-2010 at 07:38 PM.

CSU?
    Crown/Steerer/Upper legs

It's not my dream build, but it's solid, workmanlike stuff. SLX, some XT, Avid.
    You must have decided to upgrade from the link in the OP, because it has no SLX, just Deore. That bike also has BB5 brakes, FR5 levers, 5D crank, No name bars, stem, post. You already mentioned the wheels and fork as weak points.

Also, don't expect the "Cane Creek" headset on the Motos to be made by Cane Creek. Mine was a low-budget ball-bearing VP stamped with a Cane Creek patent #.

I'm only mentioning this because of the high end parts list you mentioned - if you're going to end up replacing everything, why even start there?

Be more disappointing to be staring at the thing across the room, and wishing I could be riding it.
    I dunno, for me it'd be a wash between that, and looking at it thinking, man I should've spent more upfront on the donor bike / build kit. Personally, I never mind spending money, but I sure hate wasting it, if you know what I mean.

Either way, you only have to satisfy yourself.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Back to the original topic, in my opinion Bikes Direct bikes would be a lot more attractive for either parts or to ride if they had tubeless ready wheels/rims. Really, that goes for a lot of manufacturers.

Plays with tools
    I have always had a soft spot for Gunnar. American made bikes with american made tubing as well. For a pretty fair price. I wish we had more companies like them around, then maybe you could find an american made bike at your LBS.

Most of the modern FD use shims to adapt to seat tube size and will pull cable from the top or bottom, you should be good to go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd
    Gunnar has been around for a long time and never has gotten any real traction? What a ridiculous statement. If it never got traction, how has Gunnar managed to stay in business so long? Gunnar serves a niche market. They only make steel hardtail frames of multiple varieties - not just 29ers. They do next to no marketting. They do nothing fancy or flashy or trendy. And they have all the traction they need. When Niner gets bought by Trek or Pacific in a couple years, Richard Schwinn will still be crafting beautiful American-made, steel Gunnar frames in Waterford, WI.
    E- High Five

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vecsus
    That's certainly one way to get a bike rolling on a budget. There's a good chance you'll also need new cables. Odds are the cable stops are in different places.

If you are in a rush to get a bike rolling your plan sounds ok. Not sure how much you plan to ride or how hard you are on parts but it won't be long before you are itching to upgrade some of those parts. While they are better than the junk on walmart bikes, they are on the lower end of the spectrum for a serious mountain bike.

If you are not in a rush then maybe save a little longer and wait for a sale or a deal on a used bike that won't need upstaged as soon.
    Exactly what Vescus said.

Quote Originally Posted by rojogonzo
    the dart is a throwaway, the tora a heavy yet solid fork option, true on the post, they can be had for 20 on fleabay and cane creek S3s can be found for another 30. Thinks do start adding up quickly though.
    Yes Dart is POS throwaway! Not sure about those fleabay prices, but they can be found cheap. My Tora is heavier, but flexes less than my Reba (both are the new design with power bulge lowers) when riding in the rough. Reba is alot plusher though. Aaack Avid BB5 brakes are throwaway too if you ride anything more than paved path. Front derailleur is mediocre, shifters nothing special....keep looking imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney
    The Gunnar is a good frame. The MCR is a better frame and Niner is clearing them out for $669. Hard to pass up. You can get it any Niner dealer or Speedgoat on the web. I got a Niner Jet9 on sale from Golden bike Shop with no tax and free shipping.

The Dart fork is a POS. Either of these frames deserves better!
    This would save you almost $200....that's alot of parts to build it up nicer. Geo same/similar, have you ridden either? American made would be really nice though and might sway me if I liked the frame as well or better than the other options.

Unfortunately, I won't have everything by spring. Too many bills to pay elsewhere. If I buy this Bikesdirect bike now, I'll be lucky to have the Gunnar frame by spring. If I pass on the Moto, that'll barely pay for the wheels for the new build.

If I'm gonna build that up the way I want, then we're talking around $600 for a set of Stans built on Hope hubs, and then what, $700 or so for a nice Fox fork. Also looking at Hope brakes and maybe BB, King headset and Thomson stem and seatpost. That's close to 2 grand right there, and no way I'll have that kind of money in a year. I could possibly have enough for the new wheelset and maybe get a closeout deal on a fork by next fall. If I buy the Moto for parts, I'll be riding the Gunnar for all that time.
    Then just buy and ride the BIkesdirect or Performance Bikes Access 29er....replace parts as they wear out or break. I'm still Mclovin my Access.
    Last edited by Natedogz; 12-30-2010 at 01:12 PM.
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob

You must have decided to upgrade from the link in the OP, because it has no SLX, just Deore. That bike also has BB5 brakes, FR5 levers, 5D crank, No name bars, stem, post. You already mentioned the wheels and fork as weak points.

Yeah. new donor looks to be this one.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om29pro_08.htm

Or, other plan might be to order wheelset, see if I can get a closeout Fox or Rockshox for a good price through my local dealer, and then just scavenge all the other stuff off my Blizzard. Would still probably need new bars, seatpost and stem though. And I'd be without a backup bike.

Members who have read this thread: 1