GT Peace Vs. SE Stout- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

GT Peace Vs. SE Stout

I'm really in between these two (small size for both). The SE Stout is $280 from Jenson and the GT Peace is $650 at the LBS. I'm looking for a decent bike, but not crap either. I would upgrade slowly depending on what breaks etc etc. Is the GT Peace that much better than the Stout? Is the Reynolds on the GT an upgrade? Are the GT components worth the extra price compared to the Stout? Another thing is my inseam is 30" and the Stout shows the standover height as 29.8" whereas the GT has the standover at 26.7". Seems a bit close on the Stout. Anyway, any input is appreciated!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Are you comapring the SE stout as a SS to the GT Peace 9r SS or the Peace 9r Multi?

If SS to SS comparison, I don't know if the GT is ~$400 better. The Gt does come with WTB rims/Shimano hubs/Easton stem and bars, where the SE comes with lower end/no name stuff. With regard to the "100% cro-moly" vs. Reynolds 520, I'd think that the Reynolds would be better than cro-moly on a $280 bike - you've got to think that the SE cro-mo is pretty low end stuff to justify such a low price.

If its SS to Multi comparison, and you think you want gears, than I'd go for the GT. Though, I think $650 is a little high for the GT. See if your LBS will price match Performance and save a little bit of money. Although
    Enjoy the ride!

Naturally Organic
    Research the Felt Nine Trail $600. It has front suspension, if you're into that kind of thing...

https://blogs.bikemag.com/wp-content...7/dsc00042.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Sorry, I should have mentioned both are SS.

That Felt looks nice. Although I do prefer full rigid SS. Thanks!

mtbr member
    If you keep an eye on Nashbar coupons you can find discounts of 20% to 40%. They currently have 20% off the MSRP price.

If it was a decision between an SE at $280 or Peace for $650, I'd go with the SE.

Tim

Edited to remove reference to the GT at Performance as it's a 26" as pointed out below.
    Last edited by Wombat; 08-19-2010 at 08:13 PM.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I'd vote GT BECAUSE of the Reynolds tubing. I've never had hands on time with either but I'd be willing to bet the GT would be quite a bit lighter and probably rides better with the higher quality tubing and better components. If you just want to get from Point A to Point B then go with the cheaper bike. If you actually care about riding and want the nicer bike of the two, GT.

Also, GT has discs versus V brakes on the Stout??? Discs is a HUGE bonus in my book

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The Peace on Performance is a 26". Nashbar does have a good price on the 2009 Peace.

I've heard mixed things about Reynolds. I do agree about the GT looking better though!

mtbr member
    If I only had $300 and no plans to upgrade the Stout.
    If I had $650 then the GT a much better base if you ever choose to upgrade.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I know there is someone on this board with a Peace that claims he has it down to 22lbs with few upgrades. Sounds great!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm not going to comment on which bike to buy, BUT I have to chime in on where you buy it because you mentioned a LBS and a "Wharehouse" type outlet....See my post ..."for those of you that don't know ....spend the extra thirty bucks..it outlines my experience turning my back on my LBS and going the "cheap" route...

808+909 = Party Good Time
    I used to ride a 2008 GT Peace, the Stout is no comparison. The Peace rides awesome for the $$$. The fork was good, the frame was good, the wheels never went out of true. Spend the extra if you can afford it and you won't regeret it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    100% agree on purchasing from LBS. I have never purchased from anywhere else and if I did, the Stout would be the first time.

So far, I think the GT Peace is going to be it. Now, with the 2011's coming out, I kind of want to wait to see what color scheme GT will offer. D'oh! If they even offer a Peace

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Forgot to ask. What do you guys think about the standover height?

Naturally Organic
    Not SS, it is fully rigid...I just like the color scheme (rasta, mon!) $599...Richard Bikes is an LBS (since 1910 in Illinois)...not sure if your LBS has this color (or if you even like it) or if the could SS it for you...just food for thought.

http://rbikes.com/product/gt-peace-9r-multi-51532-1.htm

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have not been a fan of many of GT's color schemes. The "rasta" Multi just doesn't do it for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    when i was shopping, i despise track ends so that ruled out both of those bikes for me.

i ended up with a Haro Mary for $650. great parts and a great bike
    The mountains are calling and I must go

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The older Peace doesn't have track ends either.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    hks3sgte...
    if you have not ridden a stout, you ought to. i am an inveterate shopper & when i decided to buy a low-priced rigid 29er i made it my business to test all the usual subjects. the bike shop i hang around the most is a gt dealer & they offered me an amazing deal on a geared peace. believe me they were not thrilled when i showed up riding a stout.
    fyi it does not feel a bit heavier than a ss peace & it is a s**tload of fun to ride. the steel frame is fine, i love the looptail, it is like riding a big bmx. the fact that it is on closeout for $280 @ jenson is a bonus. it does not mean if you go into an se racing dealer they wont be asking $500+, the stout is not a cheapo bike. the tektro discs on a peace are worthless & you will need to replace them just like you will want to change the v-brakes on a stout. if you are going to upgrade everything anyway, why not save money on the front end?
    but if you are stuck on a peace...get over to performance bikes. their multi 29er is way low plus an extra 10% off w/free shipping now.
    have fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    That is exactly what I am thinking! It's killing me! I read somewhere that the Peace also feels like a big BMX. I'm coming off of a BMX background anyway and I know SE and GT go way back...

L09erdr
    The SE Stout has more of a BMX feel than the GT will. Fork rake being one of those reasons. Also if your coming from bmx you wont like the GT's BB design to keep your chain tight instead of the true dropouts on the SE.

I dont think the GT is really worth the added $$$ IMO. You get 36 spokes (SE) vs 32 (GT) List can go on. Heres a post for you about frame material http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=579049 The SE has an awesome base and is very upgradeable. If you like disc brakes and such. You cant go wrong with either bike really.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    GT dropped the EBBs a few years ago on the Peace.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by L09erdr
    The SE Stout has more of a BMX feel than the GT will. Fork rake being one of those reasons. Also if your coming from bmx you wont like the GT's BB design to keep your chain tight instead of the true dropouts on the SE.

I dont think the GT is really worth the added $$$ IMO. You get 36 spokes (SE) vs 32 (GT) List can go on. Heres a post for you about frame material http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=579049 The SE has an awesome base and is very upgradeable. If you like disc brakes and such. You cant go wrong with either bike really.
    The number of spokes is no indication of quality. Many Wally world type bikes have 36 spokes because the rims are of poor quality and they use spokes to try and strengthen the wheel. I would take a better rim with less spokes any day.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I currently own 09 GT Peace Multi as my XC ride. I like riding this bike. My 4k Enduro Expert is sitting in the garage most of the time. There are few changes in GT from stock form. I have rock shox reba sl set at 100mm w/ lock out. eastern 70 steam and seat post. I just installed new headset - fsa the pig. Converted to 1x9. People complain about this bike is 1. crappy headset and brakes. I agree with headset, it went south after 60 miles of riding time. However, I do not have too much complaint about the brakes. I am 157lb 5' 10" and it stops me fine. I guess I can always use better brake but I do not feel the need. I never had experience with Stout but I hear a lot of good thing on this bike for it's price. For GT, I do recommend this bike. GT frame has some give which makes your ride nicer. I think it's worth dropping extra cash on this frame. I usually wait until it brakes. Good luck with your new bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have the 09 Stout that I got from Jenson when it was 240 bucks. Unfortunately for me, price was a big factor at the time. So to get it so cheap, I was stoked. I have since replaced the brakes with BB7s. Big difference. I will upgrade the wheels eventually, but other than that I don't feel its lacking too much compared to other lower priced bikes.

REALLY?
    I have the GT Multi Rasta (converted to SS - love the paint). No complaints here, the parts are decent (I say decent because I'm a bit spoiled on high end components) but for the average Joe, weekend warrior, commuter the parts are great. The bike has a nice lively feel, and handles great. I highly recommend it.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    I am crazy about my Peace 9er Multi. I love my Rasta bike. It is much cooler than me

In the Summer when the poison Ivy and Snakes take over, I pimp it out with Schwalbe Big Apple Slicks for the street and paved back roads. The rest of the year it sports Kenda Karmas.

It is rigid and beats the hell out of me, but I still like it better than my 26" Giant Rainier with front suspension. I did break the frame last fall (I am a clyde). GT and my LBS came through with a new frame. Good stuff.

Oh yeah....one more thing....I am a poser wannabe, so my opinion doesn't count for much

Settle Down, if you were that important the city would give you lights and a siren for your car

Members who have read this thread: 0