GT Peace 9r re-build project- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

GT Peace 9r re-build project

so the other day I got a little bored, and 30 min. later my bike was torn down to the bare frame. I got kind of bored with the flat brown color of the bike, so I decided a new paint job was in order. I just sold off my 3rd set of disc brakes on this thing (couldn't stop the turkey warble), so I figured now would be a good time for the project, and I'll keep things updated as I go. I'm mostly going to focus on the frame, but I'm sure I'll be throwing some new parts at the bike while its all apart.

here is the before color

down to the bare metal, I almost wanted to leave it like this, but I know it will just rust

and a fresh coat of primer and ready for the paint.

the plan right now is to work on creating decals that will be painted onto the frame, I'm probably going to use the old/new GT logo with the wings. it will go on and wrap around the head tube, and extend onto the top tube. The color is going to be a satin finish aqua blue. I'm going on vacation so I'll get on the paint work when I get back, but I'll keep things updated as I go along enjoy, and any tips/pointers more than welcome.

*JUST RIDIN*
    Is that a small?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by justridin
    Is that a small?
    yes, yes it is

mtbr member
    We just picked up the same bike for my wife for $300. The flat diarrhea brown is very unattractive and flakes off quite easily.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    We just picked up the same bike for my wife for $300. The flat diarrhea brown is very unattractive and flakes off quite easily.
    yeah, it was flaking off around the rear disc brake mount.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    [QUOTE=Lumbee1]We just picked up the same bike for my wife for $300. The flat diarrhea brown is very unattractive and flakes off quite easily.[/QUOTE

Where did you find one for 300$ ???

the test dummy
    lol that makes 2 of us rebuilding our peaces right now
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by insanitylevel9
    Nice what are your plans for yours?

the test dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by vrclowncar
    Nice what are your plans for yours?
    just getting it going again , the bike is pretty blingly as is so no upgrades for now.
    i have mine set up with
    salsa gordo rims
    hope pro II hubs
    saint rear Derailleur
    P.S. and yes the wheels are worth more then the bike lol
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=wyatt79m]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    We just picked up the same bike for my wife for $300. The flat diarrhea brown is very unattractive and flakes off quite easily.[/QUOTE

Where did you find one for 300$ ???
    We found it at Performance Bike. We went to Performance to get a replacement rotor for my father-in-law. While we were there, I found the Peace marked with a handwritten green tag. I immediately recognized the value of the bike and knew it was a steal. Performance called it a recycled bike. It was either a demo bike, used bike, or returned bike. They can't sell it as new anymore. The chips in the paint and crankset were the only flaws. The drivetrain looked shinny and new and the rest of the bike was in perfect shape. My guess is that the bike was dropped or mishandled and then returned.

For all of my bikes, I typically start looking for upgrades immediately. The only parts that need to be upgraded (other than the paint) would be the rotors. The Tektro rotors are flimsy and bend quite easily. Because they are so easy to bend, it is very difficult to tweak the rotors and make them straight. My Hayes rotors are made of much better steel that is quite springy and resistant to bends.

mtbr member
    Did you by any chance weigh that frame once you stripped it down? I've always been curious what it weighs.
    On-One ScandAl 29er
    "...Obviously you're not a golfer"

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtrot
    Did you by any chance weigh that frame once you stripped it down? I've always been curious what it weighs.
    I did hang it on a scale at a local shop (not accurate down to the gram ), and it weighed in just over 5 pounds. I'm going to find a more accurate scale to play with when I get back from vacation.

mtbr member
    I own a set of Avid Elixir hydraulic disc brakes and have the turkey warble. But they stop nicely so I don't let the noise bug me enough to buy new brakes as many brakes make noise.
    '14 Scott Genius 730 650b
    '16 Heller Bloodhound rigid

mtbr member
    I figured that. I'm looking forward to your final build. A retro bmx-looking ride with old-school GT decals would be sweet.
    On-One ScandAl 29er

mtbr member
    May 2008
    well, I'm back in Cali. While I was away my new brake setup got here. Found some XT M765 brakes on ebay for 100 bucks, did 180mm alligator rotors, so that should be fun. I just e-mailed GT to see if they had decals, or vector files, of the logos I want to use for the paint job. We'll see what happens if they get back to me, I'm having a hard time tracking down a good image to work with in illustrator. Hopefully they get back to me soon

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I finally found the image I was looking for. I want to use this on the head tube.

I modified the wings a bit in photoshop, and now I just need to figure out how to turn it into a vector image so I can get it printed. If anyone has experience with illustrator or another program to turn something like that into a Vector file that would be awesome.

mtbr member
    I tried creating a vector image out of the image above. There were quite a few artifacts that that Illustrator did not handle very well which caused the image to distort.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    well . . spent about 3 hours this morning getting to know the pen tool in illustrator a bit better. here is the end result, I'm pretty happy with it. I'm not sure why, but when I uploaded the file to photobucket it made the background green. Anywho, these are the decals I'm thinking about using or the paint job, I'm not too sure on the "peace 9r" thing I came up with.

mtbr member

+1

Quote Originally Posted by insanitylevel9
    slowly rebuilding my peace 9r multi up too ... is hanging in the garage at present ... i took all the bits off it for the salsa el mariachi frame [the red one] i got ... i am slowly upgrading the bits on the salsa so they are going back on the peace again ...

mine is the metallic blue colour, and was thinking of stripping it and getting it powder coated pure white and clear coated ...

plan is to use the peace as a commuter ... for a basic bike it was sure a nice bike and a frame i couldn't really bear to part with!

have 3 29ers in my stable now, a singular swift, salsa el mariachi and the peace 9r multi

like the graphics above though, very nice!
    "old enough to know better. too old to care."

REALLY?
    I plan on chroming my GT 9R. Should look badass when done, see my pre-build thread.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    May 2008
    ok, after the issue with the spotting paint and the cracking primer, I am back on track with this project. Had to have the head tube sand blasted again, re-primered then put the black where I want it. I had an issue putting the decal around the head tube, its a bit tricky to fit one sticker on three different tubes. Couple more of those and I'll get it right, but I have the down tube, seat tube and top tube ready to go.

I will put the blue over everything and then remove the stickers so the decals will be black in the end. After that I have a satin clear coat that will go over everything.

here is a close up of the "peace 9r" decal I came up with

hopefully this all turns out the way its supposed to, if it doesn't I'll be getting the frame powder coated, and laser etched with the decals :P

mtbr member
    sweet! I can't wait to see the final finish.
    On-One ScandAl 29er

mtbr member
    Cool project, looking good so Far !

mtbr member
    May 2008
    can't wait to see the final finish either :P have the xt m765 brakes ready to go, and just ordered the LX crankset that is crazy cheap on Jenson right now, as well as the Cane Creek s3 +5 headset to help the fork clear the down pipe.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Worth building up?

Hey guys,

Thinking about grabbing this bike online...the raster, rigid one. I can get it for $600 shipped. First is this a 'deal'? Second, is the frame worth building up over time (whether some components are upgraded immediately or replaced as needed). If I got the complete bike for 300 like the OP then I would not hesitate...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jdefran
    Hey guys,

Thinking about grabbing this bike online...the raster, rigid one. I can get it for $600 shipped. First is this a 'deal'? Second, is the frame worth building up over time (whether some components are upgraded immediately or replaced as needed). If I got the complete bike for 300 like the OP then I would not hesitate...
    I think the price is decent. You can find them a bit cheaper every once in a while. I have 2 of these bikes in the SS version and I can't complain about the frame. It is not light but it is solid. I weigh around 180-190 and I beat the hell out of it and never had any issues.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    these will be cool! congratulations!... suggestion.. why not to use plotter to paint direct on frame?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wu501
    I think the price is decent. You can find them a bit cheaper every once in a while. I have 2 of these bikes in the SS version and I can't complain about the frame. It is not light but it is solid. I weigh around 180-190 and I beat the hell out of it and never had any issues.
    Well I weigh 250 so hopefully that steel will hold up under my big ass.

mtbr member
    Well I weigh 250 so hopefully that steel will hold up under my big ass.

I wouldn't worry much at 250lbs. I have never read nor heard of one of these frames breaking. If you get a peace through Nashbar there is a code to get 10% off. I think it is single10 or something like that. I tried it last month and it worked.

vrclowncar - looking forward to the final results.

mtbr member
    I am a 255# clyde who broke a Peace 9r. But, GT and my LBS made it all better again I don't fault the bike too much. I beat the hell out of this thing.

I have been crazy about my Peace, even though I am a week away from putting out to pasture when my XTC1 comes in (Actually I plan on the Peace getting full time Big Apples and being my townie

Here is what a broken Peace frame looks like.
    Settle Down, if you were that important the city would give you lights and a siren for your car

mtbr member
    edit; I have heard only of one frame failure but he had 5lbs on you...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jayboyd
    I am a 255# clyde who broke a Peace 9r. But, GT and my LBS made it all better again I don't fault the bike too much. I beat the hell out of this thing.

I have been crazy about my Peace, even though I am a week away from putting out to pasture when my XTC1 comes in (Actually I plan on the Peace getting full time Big Apples and being my townie
    How long were you riding the frame for? What kind of terrain where you on? Any idea what caused the crack (fatigue?)?

mtbr member
    How long were you riding the frame for? What kind of terrain where you on? Any idea what caused the crack (fatigue?)?

I had about 1300 miles on this bike when it broke. I ride everything except technical. Singletrack, lot of roots, miles of gravel and fire trails. And my favorite, Urban Ninja silliness. I hop curbs and ride down the steps of the local county fair grandstands. And I do a lot of night riding (aka trespassing) on the local hilly country club

When it broke, I was just riding up the street in front of a funeral home that was having a service. All the sudden, I heard a loud click and felt my rear brake lever jerk. Next think I know, my back wheel fell off

What probably caused the crack was too much me having too much fun
    Settle Down, if you were that important the city would give you lights and a siren for your car

mtbr member
    May 2008
    haha I weigh in at around 195, hoping to make that go down some this summer. I just got the LX crankset and Cane Creek headset in the mail. its good to be in california ordered from Jenson sunday night, shipped out mon, and just got here wed. morning, and that was using their FREE shipping :P

figured I would add a picture of all the new goodies waiting to go on
    Last edited by vrclowncar; 02-09-2011 at 01:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Your build looks great, I look forward to seeing it all together and with some dirt on it...

mtbr member
    I just picked the same frame and fork you have up. I must say the putty(ish) factory color looks better in person.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=685350

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Just got done laying down the color, and getting the stickers off. Some spots on the wings lifted while painting, so there are plenty of imperfections, but I don't mind that at all. I knew it wasn't going to come out perfect, it being my first time painting a bike and all. here are some pictures before I laid down a coat of satin clear. I'm going to do one more layer of the clear just to be safe.

and I had an extra "Peace 9r" sticker so I decided to slap one between the wings.

enjoy. the next pictures it will be put back together, and hopefully dirty :P

mtbr member
    That looks pretty dope!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    the GT with the wings on the head tube looks dope. Nice Job!!

(was) Big in Japan
    Looks awesome - well done!
    Ride.

mtbr member
    yeah man, right on!
    On-One ScandAl 29er

mtbr lurker
    That might be the coolest head tube I've seen.

mtbr member
    Everyone is going to laugh at you.........................

You should give that to me and spare yourself the embarrassment

mtbr member
    Looks great. I am diggin the color.

get down!
    good job!
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    May 2008
    thanks for all the good words guys, I can't wait to get this thing back together. As you can see there are imperfections but it's a mtn bike that will get thrashed and scratched I'll get some pics tomorrow when its up and running.

Low Rep Count
    Looks like it's coming out pretty nice! Good job on your decals!

Unfortunately, I just tore my 26" Peace apart last night to build up a new Moto Outcast 29er frame. I will be keeping my GT though and putting most of the stock parts back on it so I will have a back up or bad weather bike.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

mtbr member
    Holy cow, great paint job man. Looks dope. Can't wait to see what the full build looks like.
    Mary ss shenanigans

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Wow, great job!

Isn't that On-One 'That Blue' though!?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dogthomson
    Wow, great job!

Isn't that On-One 'That Blue' though!?
    the camera didn't quite capture the color all that well, it's "aqua" blue, think on-one uses just a typical light blue. this one has a bit more green too it.

and here it is all put back together. more upgrades will come later, but i just want to get back out and ride the damn thing.
    Last edited by vrclowncar; 02-12-2011 at 12:34 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    put a few miles on it, and had to do some tweaking along the way. Had to raise the front deraileur (how the hell do you spell that word? ) had to buy a few more spacers for under the stem to make sure the headset was tightened correctly. The front brake lever is a little slow on the return every once in a while, but the brakes clamp pretty well, and are nice and quiet.

dipped it in the river for a quick picture, couldn't find any mud to play in on this ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    That looks awesome!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I love what you have done with the frame! I also have a 2009 in that brown color. About 2 years ago I had my 2002 Lava Dome powder coated at a place that does a great job for $75, it is really tempting to do it on my GT. Where did you get the decals?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeeddan
    I love what you have done with the frame! I also have a 2009 in that brown color. About 2 years ago I had my 2002 Lava Dome powder coated at a place that does a great job for $75, it is really tempting to do it on my GT. Where did you get the decals?
    thanks, if the paint doesn't hold up all that well I'll get it powder coated and laser etched next winter I couldn't find the decals I wanted, so I made them myself. I drew them all in illustrator and brought them to a sign shop to get them made into stickers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Great work, looks even better built up!

mtbr member
    I officially vote that as the primary color for the re-release of the peace bikes from GT (hint...hint...Mr. GT)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by poorboy006
    I officially vote that as the primary color for the re-release of the peace bikes from GT (hint...hint...Mr. GT)
    it's a shame they stopped making them, I'm probably going to scoop up another one as a back up

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Just wanted to add a picture of the next little upgrade. couldn't find too much on this wheelset online, so I figured I would roll the dice and see what happens. got them for a pretty decent price, and they seem pretty light. They should help start the diet process for the bike

The wheelset is Vuelta Nine's, a little under 1900 grams for the set, 28 spokes up front, 32 in the rear, alloy nipples, blah blah blah any input on the wheelset is welcome.

davidcarson48
    Looks like a geared hub. Check this out:

http://www.gearclamp.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    wheels look nice but I can't find too much info on them either with a quick search. The price is damn good if they hold up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcarson48

http://www.gearclamp.com/
    Interesting but $30 for a clamp? I would rather deal with spacers.

davidcarson48
    I know...but for $20 for spacers, I'd rather pay the extra $10 and get less weight and infinite chainline adjustment. Just ordered them so I'll see how they do.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I've got the white 2007 GT SS 29er Peace that I have been trying to sell here in Dallas area for $300 for over 6 months. It's a great bike and no one will bite on it. Great shape, too. It's weird for such a great bike not to be able to move it.

Great job on the rebuild. I really liked mine, but moved on and upgraded finally.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcarson48

https://www.gearclamp.com/

I enjoy my gears mounted them up a few min. ago, I think that rear cassette is better suited as a boat anchor they look good though, now I just have to get it over to a scale to see if it made a difference haha

mtbr member
    that's really really cool...wondering if anyone's done a repaint in their own favorite tri-color style? the rasta is nice. ihave the dark blue to light blue fade...

so in love with it now i'm thinking of getting another...so they did stop producing them?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by UBUgoat
    that's really really cool...wondering if anyone's done a repaint in their own favorite tri-color style? the rasta is nice. ihave the dark blue to light blue fade...

so in love with it now i'm thinking of getting another...so they did stop producing them?
    yeah, it looks like GT brought back the Karakoram to help fill the 29r hardtail department, but it's an aluminum frame. I'm thinking about picking up another one just incase

and got out on a ride with some new friends and found plenty of mud along the way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    How are the wheels? Have you gotten any air with them? If so, how much do you weigh?

mtbr member
    i almost got the small...what size are you? i think at 5'8" i could've gotten the small (and i still might...turn one of them into a drop bar 9r)...

went out on my first real test ride....torrential rains...very muddy...hopping logs i would only attempt on my Giant full squisher...very amazed at the e x p e r i e n c e...

my face still hurts from grimacing and grinning the whole time...and i thought i was always having a blast riding

mtbr member
    May 2008
    How are the wheels? Have you gotten any air with them? If so, how much do you weigh?
    cleared a few 6" logs or so along the way, nothing I would really call "air" but I do currently weigh around 195 pounds.

UBUgoat - I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and ride the small frame. top tube is a good length, I love the fit of the bike. I am going to get a slightly longer seatpost when I upgrade, I'm almost at the highest adjustment on that. also have to find a better seat clamp, as my post keeps dropping slightly.

Rebmem Rbtm
    what's the weight on that peace 9r? i cant find the info anywhere. I want that bike. YOUR bike!

the test dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by claydough001
    what's the weight on that peace 9r? i cant find the info anywhere. I want that bike. YOUR bike!
    mine as a single speed with the boat anchor stock fork is 25
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

Members who have read this thread: 0