Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

GT I-drive, thoughts on performance...

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Miker J 
#1 ·
Any folks out there with time on GTs I-drive suspension? Any thougths? Any links as I can't find much online.

#6 ·
Thanks for the thoughts and especially the link.

Last week I took a demo on their 2012 100mm FS carbon fiber 29er xc rig (? Zaskar FS). I hadn't planned on riding at the demo as it was a chance occurrence - didn't have any gear, needed to ride in flats, and the trails were not so hot to really get a good test.

The bike rode very nice overall except for what felt to be a slightly steep HTA - but that is not all bad as this will be more XC-trail oriented with fast rubber and a light build. The suspension felt very nice but like I alluded to above the test conditions were sub-par. Funny as GT gets very little praise on these boards but as far as I could tell the suspension rivaled any other out there including the VPP design - and I've owned most designs out there except not a DW. Actually felt to me to be at the top of the heap performance-wise. The idea of super simple maintenance is also great. The bike was spec'd great - 2012 XT with the ideal 2x10 with the front rings having the perfect 24-38. The only downside was the brakes were not Shimano matched but the Formulas did feel very good. It had a Fox up front.

Not that I'm into weighing my bikes, but we did throw this onto a scale and it came in at 26.5# which is very respectable (I kept one heavy flat pedal on to weigh the bike).

My 2012 plan was to go with a Tallboy, but now I think I probably changed my mind. Especially when I factor in that I can have a full GT with the a full 2012 XT drive train and a lifetime frame warranty, for close to the same price of a Tallboy, fork and headset.

I wish I could see this bike on GT's website with the specific geo.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.