GT 9er multi 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

GT 9er multi 29er

Any thoughts on this bike? I wasn't really looking for a rigid frame but I've read good things about this bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have had mine for 6 months and love it. Use it mostly for smoother trails.

mtbr member
    Have you tried it on rough trails?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I take the tires down to 30 pounds and it does "OK". However, I use my Specialized Rockhopper 29er with front suspension on the rough trails.

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    I have 900 miles on mine. I ride in Humboldt County in northern CA. I do 10-20 mile rides with around 2k feet of climbing. Lots of rocks, ruts, roots, and gravel.

The bike is good for the price. The steel frame has a much better feel than comparably priced aluminum 29ers. The stock seatpost clamp is garbage and you may end up with a lot of slipping. after a few miles mine would have dropped 1-2cm which you mostly notice from a loss of power. The components are heavy but strong. I am 6'6" and 205 pounds and its held up to my mashing.

The wheels have held up fine to my abuse but are boat anchors at 2800 grams. Overall the bike is 30lbs and 10 of that is in the front and rear wheelset + tire + cassette (I weighted them one day). On climbs I feel like my friends run away from me because I have so much weight to keep accelerating. On the flats I don't notice it so much and the large tires roll really smooth.

I recently got tired of my arms aching from the roots so I picked up a used Reba for $200 which has made the bike much more enjoyable. On smoother trails I would have no problem running rigid but up here I have lost my grip on descents a few times. Going down a hill with feet clipping in and only one hand on the bar is bad times. As people mentioned just drop the tires to under 30 and you will be supprised how smooth the ride is. I have ridden as low as 23psi front and 25 rear and been fine so long as I didn't try to get air or plow through roots.

If you have anymore questions about specific parts on the bike just ask. I would recommend against it if you are planning on slowly upgrading it as many of the parts you wont be able to get any money for (ie wheelset).

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    I have some more. This is from a week or two ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT 9er multi 29er-dsc_0033_01.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input.This doesn't sound at all like what I'm looking for.

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    What kind of trails do you ride? If you are after something more plush on a budget look at a used FS 26. One of my riding buddies just bought a used Titus with a Fox 80RLC and DT Swiss wheelset for $1200. You should be able to find a Fuel or FSR from a few years ago for around $700.

mtbr member
    I have loved my Rasta Peace 9er for the last couple of years. It has been a good friend and has served me well, but like Science, I am getting tired of the beating I get on the full rigid.

I am going to retire the Peace from trails and replace it with.........well, I am not for sure yet. I will be asking my GF Paragon vs Stumpjumper Comp vs Xtc question in a the next few days.

Here are a couple of pics of "Bob Marley" the wonder bike

I will be putting these Schwalbe Big Fat Apples on the Peace and using it as a Townie.

Settle Down, if you were that important the city would give you lights and a siren for your car

mtbr member
    May 2010
    All you need is Reba SL in the front. I have mine setup with Reba SL and 1x9 with few upgrades here and there. I LOVE this bike. Frame is great!! I ride this bike over my Enduro Expert most of the time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jayboyd
    I have loved my Rasta Peace 9er for the last couple of years. It has been a good friend and has served me well, but like Science, I am getting tired of the beating I get on the full rigid.

I am going to retire the Peace from trails and replace it with.........well, I am not for sure yet. I will be asking my GF Paragon vs Stumpjumper Comp vs Xtc question in a the next few days.

Here are a couple of pics of "Bob Marley" the wonder bike ]

mtbr member
    Don't you guys experience toe overlap with the front wheel? I recently purchased this bike and it is unrideable. I don't see how any human with toes would want this bike?

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nitecrwlr
    Don't you guys experience toe overlap with the front wheel? I recently purchased this bike and it is unrideable. I don't see how any human with toes would want this bike?
    If the bike is your size, and your not rocking clown feet, then you are doing something wrong.

mtbr member

I don't turn
    Settle Down, if you were that important the city would give you lights and a siren for your car

Low Rep Count
    I have the SS version of this bike. The frame is sound though the chain tensioner design is lacking and there are no options on the market that will fit with the dropout design. It is fairly heavy as stated as well. I have replaced every single part on my bike in the 9 months I have owned it with the exception of the frame and I am still only down to 20.5 lbs. This includes the wheelset, a full carbon saddle, KCNC post, carbon bars...I actually went for lighter parts from the get go. But the frame alone weighs in right around 6 lbs.

I'm actually getting ready to put it back close to stock and sell it all together and buy a 29er frame (My Peace is a 26er). I don't regret the purchase though. The bike has been sound! Just on the heavy side. Sorry it's not a 29 but here's a pic. The ride is excellent though!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT 9er multi 29er-peace-1.11.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have the small frame size and have no problem with toe overlap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Obviously riding to slow if you have to turn the front wheel to turn. I have a large singlespeed and have not had any problems with toe overlap yet.
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    Im 6'6" with size 14 shoes riding a large. No toe overlap.

Members who have read this thread: 0