Group buy on the holy grail of 29er cranks?- Mtbr.com
    Recovering Weight Weenie

Group buy on the holy grail of 29er cranks?

I've been searching high and low and voila...

Many of us have mourned the passing of 94/58 as a standard. This has become even more pressing as we've jumped to big wheels and have attempted to adjust our gearing, with little available.

Anyway....

i did some googling and found these 394 gram 94/58 cranks (175mm) with SQUARE TAPER bottom bracket....they even come in 180mm!!!

Just imagine the all kinds of sweet/unusual 29er specific gearing i could run.
    20 tooth granny? sure, no problem.
    30 tooth middle ring? have at it...QBP prolly sells a few different kinds.

I'm downright giddy....
    Check out what singletrack mag said about Tune....Link Here

There is only 1 us distributor of these things....and they retail for just under $300...but they only order when they order a pretty sizable menu.

I'd be willing to organize a group buy of sorts.....
    In order to make this happen, we'd probably need over 10 of us to go through with it.

Thoughts?
    Interest?

Oh yes....the love....(just imagine these with your favorite Phil Wood BB and the Boone rings your wife got you for Valentine's Day.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Tech Info:

Production method: CNC-machined, milling direction parallel to rolling orientation of aluminum, (saves forging)
    Material: Aluminium 7075 T6
    Available crank arm lenghts: 165, 170, 172,5, 175, 180 mm
    required spindle lenght of bottom bracket: 68 mm 70 mm 73 mm

Triple (MTB): 113 mm 113 mm 117 mm

Bolt circle diameter: Triple (MTB):110/74 mm (fits XTR) 94/58 mm (fits XT ab ’94)

Weight: Crank arms with spider (175mm) 94/58: 394 g

Material: 7075 T6

*Hotter than Hell*
    Aug 2005
    they look like Cook Bros. cranks

six sided BB on those other cranks.

No Justice = No Peace

nice

I would buy one, maybe two sets of 180's/
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by scarkinsmel
    is sweet and very light. A few people at the ESSC (Eurupean Single Speed Championship) had some of the Tune stuff and I was and still am interested in picking up a hubset for my cross bike. I hesitate to get the cranks. just because they look in person, very light weight and a little flexy. That said (or written) no-one that I have met that rides the Tune cranks has made any mention of flexiness. Of course they are all Euro and weigh about a buck ten wet, and I go 220, dry. Ed
    FWIW: I read the singletrackmag article and they said "stiff" was the term to describe them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Their stuff

is sweet and very light. A few people at the ESSC (Eurupean Single Speed Championship) had some of the Tune stuff and I was and still am interested in picking up a hubset for my cross bike. I hesitate to get the cranks. just because they look in person, very light weight and a little flexy. That said (or written) no-one that I have met that rides the Tune cranks has made any mention of flexiness. Of course they are all Euro and weigh about a buck ten wet, and I go 220, dry. Ed

mtbr member
    Almost $300 for crank arm frames - that could by you like 3/4ths of a complete Redline Monocog 29er.

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Oh yes....the love....(just imagine these with your favorite Phil Wood BB and the Boone rings your wife got you for Valentine's Day.)
    Padre,

Can you use a PW BB or do you have to use the Tune Six Pack? If I can use a 4-sided spindle I might be in. As for the Six Pack, now I'm locked in just like every one else.

I do like the idea of a 6-sided spindle, but I would think it would 'round' faster than a 4-sided, or an Octalink/ISIS design.
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

Recovering couch patato
    I spent a post-race hour looking for the half crank that bounced out of a rider's backpocket. Needless to say, the stupid thing broke on him, he reached the finish on one crank, but failed to notice losing the one he needed for warranty. We found the crank, but I'll never own Tune cranks. For some parts they're good, but a crank is not supposed to break on a ~75kg rider on a very tame course.

featherweight clydesdale
    FWIW: I read the singletrackmag article and they said "stiff" was the term to describe them.
    The cranks look really sweet, but "only the Saints are stiffer"...I don't know.

Padre - I saw this near the bottom of the link.

Longevity
    by: gee on: Thursday 24 February 2005 @ 22:04:38
    I have used the Tune cranks, bb, bar ends and QRs for a year or so with no issues at all, amd I do ride all year! Cranks are not so stiff, but if you read Keith Bontragers arguments this is not so important...

I also think these are worth a look:

http://www.hscycle.com/Pages/customcrankset.html

http://www.middleburn.co.uk/cranks.php

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by jl
    Padre,

Can you use a PW BB or do you have to use the Tune Six Pack? If I can use a 4-sided spindle I might be in. As for the Six Pack, now I'm locked in just like every one else.

I do like the idea of a 6-sided spindle, but I would think it would 'round' faster than a 4-sided, or an Octalink/ISIS design.
    The Big Foot uses the conventional square taper. The Fast Foot uses the Six Pack.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by tvrbob86
    The Big Foot uses the conventional square taper. The Fast Foot uses the Six Pack.
    Exactly.

Recovering couch patato
    20t and 30t rings also work with 104mm 4-arm rings. Cheaper, stiffer.

mtbr member
    WOW! How being an old guy from the begining has it's advantages. I had a set of cranks very close to these way back in 80's, I think. Back around when rock shox first came out I think. It was my weight weenie time and every bolt and screw had to be ti including the spokes in my wheels! These things were soooo dam light!
    However after running these for about a year and fighting cronic foot pain from the twisting of these wet noodle cranks, constant breaking of chainring bolts, and the nearly constant creaking I swore off of human contact, high g-load super light weight items.
    Instantly after junking those (oh yea! they were called top line cranks) noodles and going to XTR's I was instantly faster and NO more foot pain!
    I'm sure THESE are much better and will serve those that buy them well!
    JMWM,(justmyworthlessmemories) but they sure bring back the old days!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Topline copies

The tunes look exactly like the Toplines of the early nineties. They sucked....and so did the Cooks and the Graftons. I just ordered a set of 952 crankarms and a 58/94 spider from Shimano. They had all sizes including 180's. Any shop can easily order them. Plenty Strong and Stiff.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by None
    WOW! How being an old guy from the begining has it's advantages. I had a set of cranks very close to these way back in 80's, I think. Back around when rock shox first came out I think. It was my weight weenie time and every bolt and screw had to be ti including the spokes in my wheels! These things were soooo dam light!
    However after running these for about a year and fighting cronic foot pain from the twisting of these wet noodle cranks, constant breaking of chainring bolts, and the nearly constant creaking I swore off of human contact, high g-load super light weight items.
    Instantly after junking those (oh yea! they were called top line cranks) noodles and going to XTR's I was instantly faster and NO more foot pain!
    I'm sure THESE are much better and will serve those that buy them well!
    JMWM,(justmyworthlessmemories) but they sure bring back the old days!
    Hmmm.....so how does that relate? Looks alone?

mtbr member

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    20t and 30t rings also work with 104mm 4-arm rings. Cheaper, stiffer.
    Running a 20T on these. Best peformance / value crank on the market
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg XT.jpg (25.4 KB, 1073 views)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee
    But do they come in 180mm?

I've got some 180 XTR's coming. Interested in seeing how they feel as I've some 180's coming for the road bike too!

Cheers!
    -Ian

AKA jefftron3000
    Which manufacturers make 20T and 30T 4 arm chainrings?

Harmonius Wrench

It pays to save your old stuff!

I've got a set of Sun Tour Micro Drive cranks in the basement. 20T granny, and the rest. It's in excellent shape and the chainrings are available through QBP. Square taper even!

That said, those XT outboard cranks are pretty stiff and as long as you can get your gearing right, they are a good value..............until the bearings go grumbly, that is!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just build up my 29er, yet to log any trail time on it. However, I was thinking about gearing a couple days ago wondering if I am going to be cursing the lack of low-end on this new wheel size. I got to thinking that 20T granny and 30T middle sounds about right. I am just going to have to see how I like my 22/32/44 setup.

I am not one to work well with gear inch numbers, but was curious how a 29er with a 22/32/44 crank compares to a 26er with a 28/38/48. I have to think it is pretty close. That gear combo worked well enough for folks back in the early days of mountain biking.
    Get on your bikes and ride!

mtbr member
    Hmmm.....so how does that relate? Looks alone?

It relates in this way...There are other posts regarding the actual physical attributes of these cranks and with my personal experience with virtual exact "visual" copies I have had experience with.
    YOU may draw your own conclusions based on the information from the experience of others, OR throw caution (and 300 bucks) to the wind and thorughly enjoy them while making your own conclusions.
    Will they be light?...YUP Will they fit the chainring size you desire?...SURE
    Will they be strong and stiff?... Get out the magic 8 ball and try and try til you get the answer you want because DESIRE is in your way!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Count me in

I'll take one set, 175mm. You didn't mention if there are any finish choices. Photo appears like maybe a pewter or polished ti color? I like that finish, alternately silver or black.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Did you see Cloxxki's reply about a snapped Tune?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Quote Originally Posted by bikerboy
    I just build up my 29er, yet to log any trail time on it. However, I was thinking about gearing a couple days ago wondering if I am going to be cursing the lack of low-end on this new wheel size. I got to thinking that 20T granny and 30T middle sounds about right. I am just going to have to see how I like my 22/32/44 setup.

I am not one to work well with gear inch numbers, but was curious how a 29er with a 22/32/44 crank compares to a 26er with a 28/38/48. I have to think it is pretty close. That gear combo worked well enough for folks back in the early days of mountain biking.
    44/32/22 on a 29er is lower gearing than 48/38/28 on a 26" bike.

I would have issues with a 42/32/22 triple, even with a 12-32 cassette. I have been using a 30x12-32 1x8 with good results.
    mtbtires.com

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go

why does anyone need a 20T? 22T isn't that much worse. How steep is the stuff you guys are riding. Even in Utah I was fine with 22T. Especially with a 34 T in the rear.

Regarding the Tunes...I assume they are better than the Toplines. If they are not, padre you especially will hate them, unless you like flexy cranks on you beefy Desalvo. I had them way back when. They look cool, but I didn't realize just how flexy they were until I hoped on just some regular old XT cranks from back then.

But they gotta be stiffer right? After all it is 2006 not 1992.
    my builder: Neil at Cernitz Bike

rider
    Jan 2005

Crankset buy??

I'm more inclined to get excited about a Middleburn RS-7 in square taper with a compact spider . Cheaper and really fine quality with a lifetime warranty even for DH use.

29erchico

If your main concern is having a 94/58 spider this works great.
    mtbtires.com

Cassoulet forever !
    I don't like the tune cranks, not enought rigidity.

Padre, if you like to do a group order, you may do it with hscycle cranks.
    They come in custom legnth (mines are 195mm) and can be ordered with a compact 5 bolt pattern.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by Kansasflatlander
    I'll take one set, 175mm. You didn't mention if there are any finish choices. Photo appears like maybe a pewter or polished ti color? I like that finish, alternately silver or black.
    Tune cranks come in Silver (polished and clearcoated), or anodized in Black, Blue, Gold, Green, or Red.

Recovering couch patato
    Tune cranks USED to be a hype here in the NL. we grew over it, and use stuff that works now. Similar weight Racefaces stay in 2 pieces much more often than Tunes. we only have super tame trails, but we tend to value that aspect to a crankset a lot.

mtbr member

180's

Quote Originally Posted by goneskiian
    But do they come in 180mm?

I've got some 180 XTR's coming. Interested in seeing how they feel as I've some 180's coming for the road bike too!

Cheers!
    -Ian
    Yep I have two set's of 180's. The MB hall of fame, Boone and others make 20t rings

Best cranks I have owned

Student of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    If your main concern is having a 94/58 spider this works great.

Shiggy....more info please. I tried to click on the pic but its not linked.

Klydesdale
    Feb 2005
    When it comes to aluminum parts that are highly stressed like cranks, I'll take forged ones like the XTs over milled/machined ones anyday.
    Last edited by klydesdale; 02-18-2006 at 08:29 AM.

Mar 2005
    spending money to spend money...

I agree with DeeZee, buy the XT cranks order the 20t granny gear and get the low gear inch that is coveted.

26" 2.1 tire with 175 cranks running 22/34 gets a 16.8 gear inch
    700/56 with 175 cranks running 22/34 gets 18.8 gear inches and 20/34 gets 17.1

you could spend 300.00 on crank arms and then some money (alot of money really) on a phil wood square taper BB and then money on some converson from a six sided spindle to a 4 sided one.

Or spend 271.99 for XT's, that come in 180's if ya want them, and then 30-50 on a new granny. At the high water mark it is 321.99 without shipping and you don't have to mess with all of the crap that comes with making the other stuff work.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by avow943
    spending money to spend money...

I agree with DeeZee, buy the XT cranks order the 20t granny gear and get the low gear inch that is coveted.

26" 2.1 tire with 175 cranks running 22/34 gets a 16.8 gear inch
    700/56 with 175 cranks running 22/34 gets 18.8 gear inches and 20/34 gets 17.1

you could spend 300.00 on crank arms and then some money (alot of money really) on a phil wood square taper BB and then money on some converson from a six sided spindle to a 4 sided one.

Or spend 271.99 for XT's, that come in 180's if ya want them, and then 30-50 on a new granny. At the high water mark it is 321.99 without shipping and you don't have to mess with all of the crap that comes with making the other stuff work.
    XT's on eBay for $180.00 all day long.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    XT's on eBay for $180.00 all day long.

Are all you XT people not hearing that he wants SQUARE TAPER?

LP

Quote Originally Posted by CBaron
    Shiggy....more info please. I tried to click on the pic but its not linked.
    It is just the "mtb" spider for Profile Racing and other BMX style cranks. They are available in 110 and 94 BCD.
    mtbtires.com

Front Range Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Onetrack
    The tunes look exactly like the Toplines of the early nineties. They sucked....and so did the Cooks and the Graftons. I just ordered a set of 952 crankarms and a 58/94 spider from Shimano. They had all sizes including 180's. Any shop can easily order them. Plenty Strong and Stiff.
    I did just this, $44 for a XTR 58/94 spyder. The old Grey XTR cranks with Octolink bb is what I slapped it on. I run 42/29 with mine. Fun thing about that Era of XTR cranks is you can find them cheap, you can find them in a full range of sizes (170-172.5-175-177.5-180), and you can buy a variety of spyders for them. I personally like 177.5's which hardly anyone makes these days.

That said I have a full 24/34/46 chainring setup in great condition for sale. :-) Also looking for another set of XTR cranks...177.5's preferably just the arms.
    In the immortal words of Socrates..."I drank what?"

Facebook.com/monstercrosser
    Twitter: @monstercrosser

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Padre considering a sub-400g machined aluminum crank? I'd be surprised if that lasted an appreciable amount of time under you.

Maybe this an early April Fools Day joke?

mtbr member

Square Taper

Quote Originally Posted by lanpope
    Are all you XT people not hearing that he wants SQUARE TAPER?

LP
    Your right. How about some biopace rings to go with them

giddy up!
    There are several reasons why I prefer square taper, 94mm BCD cranks to any other style available on the market....I'll list them out below.

1. 29 or 30 tooth middle rings that are readily available. Sure, you can get 30 tooth rings from Extralight but they're pretty pricey and hard to find.
    2. Loads of choices in terms of spindle length. I prefer to run my rings as far inboard as possible. I do this because I rarely use the bottom of my cassette when in the middle ring. By bringing the chain rings inboard I improve chainline for middle ring-big cog combos as well as big ring-little cog combos.
    3. Q factor. The new outboard bearing cranks have really wide Q factor. My knees don't dig it.
    4. Durability. I'll go for years without looking at my Phil Square BB. I was replacing isis bottom brakets every few months at best. I can't comment on the durability of the outboard stuff because I'm unwilling to try it out do to the above reasons.

All that being said....I'll likely pass on the Tunes. I love the looks and the light weight but I just can't justify the expense.

Oh, and if any of you Isis/Outboard fans have 94mmBCD square cranks laying around....let me know. I'd gladly take those pieces of crap of your hands.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

The answer?

To me the answer would be for someone to get after White Industries to make there eno cranks in a triple design. The are highly praised good looking, seem to be nice and stiff and most of all take a square taper. I agree with other posters here lamenting the demise of square tapered cranks. My favorites where the race face square tapers with a ti syncros bottom braket. That bb I had for 5 years and was in at least 4 different bikes. It was light and stiff. An nothing can beat the the good ole un-72/xt bottom braket. Cheap, realitively light weight, and bomb proof. Maybe we can even get White to design a 29 friendly gearing ratio standard. Those tunes look to much like the old toplines which looked beautiful but I saw many crack.
    White Industies + Phil wood TI=HEAVEN in the key of TI and AL

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    There are several reasons why I prefer square taper, 94mm BCD cranks to any other style available on the market....I'll list them out below.

1. 29 or 30 tooth middle rings that are readily available. Sure, you can get 30 tooth rings from Extralight but they're pretty pricey and hard to find.
    2. Loads of choices in terms of spindle length. I prefer to run my rings as far inboard as possible. I do this because I rarely use the bottom of my cassette when in the middle ring. By bringing the chain rings inboard I improve chainline for middle ring-big cog combos as well as big ring-little cog combos.
    3. Q factor. The new outboard bearing cranks have really wide Q factor. My knees don't dig it.
    4. Durability. I'll go for years without looking at my Phil Square BB. I was replacing isis bottom brakets every few months at best. I can't comment on the durability of the outboard stuff because I'm unwilling to try it out do to the above reasons.

All that being said....I'll likely pass on the Tunes. I love the looks and the light weight but I just can't justify the expense.

Oh, and if any of you Isis/Outboard fans have 94mmBCD square cranks laying around....let me know. I'd gladly take those pieces of crap of your hands.

B
    My feelings as well. I have seven sets of square taper compact drive cranks & only 2 are on bikes at this point in time. The rest are just stashed for future use. No, I'm NOT selling any of them. Plenty come up on ebay and can be bought for reasonable if you are determined.

I run the 30 & 42t Salsa Pro rings with a RF steel 20t granny ring, for obvious reasons.

29erchico

Dr Gadget is IN

Yo! DeeZee! Fess Up!

Boone and others make 20t rings
    OK, I know that I can buy 5 hole 58/56mm 20t's all day long. And I know that Boone will make you 4 hole 64mm 20t if you're patient.

Was that what you're talkin' bout???? Or you bogartin' some other secret source? Enquiring minds want to know.

Of course, I've got an old 74mm adapter that takes cassette cogs from 14-20t.........

Am I riding or doing a trackstand?
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member

Check it out

Quote Originally Posted by wadester
    OK, I know that I can buy 5 hole 58/56mm 20t's all day long. And I know that Boone will make you 4 hole 64mm 20t if you're patient.

Was that what you're talkin' bout???? Or you bogartin' some other secret source? Enquiring minds want to know.

Of course, I've got an old 74mm adapter that takes cassette cogs from 14-20t.........

Am I riding or doing a trackstand?
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=109092

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ight=hall+fame

Got mine from the M-Bike Hall of Fame

http://www.mtnbikehalloffame.com/home.cfm
    Last edited by DeeZee; 02-18-2006 at 07:29 PM.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Sure, if you don't mind the divot the chain digs in the spider.

I have the MTB hall of fame 20 tooth on Madre's XT's...not impressed with that fit.....although it get's us by...

XT's are great....
    but....
    1. the q factor is super wide....
    2. they are relatively heavy for a bike that must be ridden 100 miles in 1 day repeatedly.
    3. the spacing thing i talked about in my original post.

mtbr member

XT's

Sure, if you don't mind the divot the chain digs in the spider.

I have the MTB hall of fame 20 tooth on Madre's XT's...not impressed with that fit.....although it get's us by...

XT's are great....
    but....
    1. the q factor is super wide....
    2. they are relatively heavy for a bike that must be ridden 100 miles in 1 day repeatedly.
    3. the spacing thing i talked about in my original post.
    They are 860grams. 60grams heavier than XTR’s. Do you consider XTR’s heavy? I certainly don’t!

I did need to take a file and slightly flatten one side of the mounting holes due too the chain skipping with the 20t chain ring.

A few weeks ago picked-up on sale for $130 a set of LX cranks for my son. These cranks are great. If they came in 180mm I would have purchased a set for me. IMO the outboard bearing stuff is fantastic and do not feel wide at all.

mtbr member

That's not what I was told...

Quote Originally Posted by wadester
    And I know that Boone will make you 4 hole 64mm 20t if you're patient.
    Brett told me he could make a 21t, but not a 20t chainring.

Student of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico
    My feelings as well. I have seven sets of square taper compact drive cranks & only 2 are on bikes at this point in time. The rest are just stashed for future use. No, I'm NOT selling any of them. Plenty come up on ebay and can be bought for reasonable if you are determined.

I run the 30 & 42t Salsa Pro rings with a RF steel 20t granny ring, for obvious reasons.

29erchico
    Thats the setup I'm looking to go with. How's the shifting with the Salso pro rings? There is no doubt the Shimano rings shift smooth, but I'd really like to get some gear back.

mtbr member
    Action-tec also makes 64mm bcd rings in 20t and 21t.

http://www.actiontec.us

Recovering couch patato
    Your right. How about some biopace rings to go with them
    Hey now, ovalized chainrings are the new hype. The new ladies World Champion Cyclo-Cross used them. Rotor Q-Rings. I think they're on to something.

mtbr member

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CBaron
    Thats the setup I'm looking to go with. How's the shifting with the Salso pro rings? There is no doubt the Shimano rings shift smooth, but I'd really like to get some gear back.
    Salsa Pro rings shift great. Last well also, I got almost three years of heavy riding out of the 30t middle ring before I had to slap on a new one.

Now, if we could just get Salsa to come out with a 29t Pro ring we would really have something with near the 11% gear difference in the big wheels. There are 29t 94mm BCD chainrings out there, but I am unaware of any that are ramped and pinned for 9speed indexed use.

29erchico

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico

Now, if we could just get Salsa to come out with a 29t Pro ring we would really have something with near the 11% gear difference in the big wheels. There are 29t 94mm BCD chainrings out there, but I am unaware of any that are ramped and pinned for 9speed indexed use.

29erchico
    Yup, that'd be really, really nice.

I picked up a few Ritchey 29t rings at The Path a few months back....nice little find.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Dr Gadget is IN

Change is good?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckc1971
    Brett told me he could make a 21t, but not a 20t chainring.
    Well, I ordered and recv'd one from them just a few months ago. It is currently installed on a Karate Monkey/Raceface 104/64 crank. I was concerned about the chain/bolthead issue, but it turned out not to be a problem for me&my setup. Perhaps they had too many people with problems? If I was them I woulda just gone to the 3mm/counterbored option - my contingency plan was to machine the bolt heads a bit.

Ah well, actiontec lists these
    ELS Heatreated Titanium Chainrings
    58mm (5 Bolt) 20 $71.00 #2820
    64mm (4 Bolt) 20 $71.00 #2720
    64mm (4 Bolt) 21 $73.50 #2721
    Ringleader Titanium Chainrings
    58mm (5 Bolt) 20 $32.75 #3020R
    58mm (5 Bolt) 21 $34.75 #3021R
    64mm (4 Bolt) 20 $32.75 #3020R4
    64mm (4 Bolt) 21 $34.75 #3021R4
    Stainless Steel Chainrings
    58mm(5 Bolt) 20 $5.10 #3020RS
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member

Go Old School

Instead of those expensive CNC'd weight weenie cranks of dubvious stiffness and durability why not watch eBay for old school microdrive cranks? In the past 6 months I've bought 2 Suntour XC Pro and 1 Ritchey Logic MicroDrive cranksets off eBay. 94mm and 56/58mm BCD, forged construction, square taper, low Q factor, classic good looks, and usually cheap. Here's one that recently sold for $51: http://tinyurl.com/j75je . 180mm versions are harder to find but they are out there. In my opinion these old forged Japanese cranks in both the standard 110mm BCD and the microdrive 94mm BCD were some of the nicest ever made. Besides my MTBs I've got them on my road bikes, too, set up as compact doubles.

My other favorite crankset (more for road bikes than MTBs), which will give you an insanely wide range of possible gears, is the 50mm BCD Specialities TA Pro 5 Vis, also known as the Cyclotouriste (http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?id=690). Sadly this French crank is also no longer made.

Hey now, ovalized chainrings are the new hype. The new ladies World Champion Cyclo-Cross used them. Rotor Q-Rings. I think they're on to something.
    Emphasis on "hype." Non-round rings have come and gone more times than most other "great new ideas" in cycling. Some riders get good results with them, others don't. I don't.
    mtbtires.com

Recovering couch patato
    Fun about the Rotor rings is that they have more than 5 bolt holes, but like 4 sets of them, so you can position the ring to suits your legs perfectly.
    I "believe" in is for short bursts of power where cardio is no factor, and maybe muscle fatigue over longer time trials/races. I want to try them, but my primary race bike is now on 94mm cranks. My most impect pedaling style might benefit more than your 190rpm 190mm crank legs.

Fun about the Rotor rings is that they have more than 5 bolt holes, but like 4 sets of them, so you can position the ring to suits your legs perfectly.
    I "believe" in is for short bursts of power where cardio is no factor, and maybe muscle fatigue over longer time trials/races. I want to try them, but my primary race bike is now on 94mm cranks. My most impect pedaling style might benefit more than your 190rpm 190mm crank legs.
    I found that BioPace was most problematic in low RPM/high effort situations. I actually crashed on the road during a climb because my legs stalled as I hit the "big" part of the ring and I fell over.
    mtbtires.com

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    i'll echo what some others have said: look just like a pair of Topines i used for years. never had any breakage, but my 140# ass could flex them pretty easily. had a road pair for quite a long time; no problems either, but flexy. the way the spider was pinned onto the backside of the spider would once in a while work loose, too. had to redo it , and loctite it several times.

unless Tune has magically stiffened up the design, or are using an aluminum alloy that allows for greater stuffness, i'd run from these. from what i've seen of your posts, aren't you a decently sized guy?

i'd look at other cranks than these, though that's just my opinion.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

giddy up!
    Question for those of you that are running the older style XTR cranks.....where are you finding 94mm BCD spiders? I can't seem to find them anymore and I could use 1 more.

Thanks,

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Shimano Direct

Have your LBS order the spider and locking ring direct from Shimano. Most distributors do not carry the part any longer. V

*Hotter than Hell*
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    Question for those of you that are running the older style XTR cranks.....where are you finding 94mm BCD spiders? I can't seem to find them anymore and I could use 1 more.

Thanks,

B
    www.cambriabike.com

Adventure Components 110/58 & 94/58

www.adventurecomponents.com

http://www.webcyclery.com/product.ph...cat=406&page=1
    Last edited by totally_fixxated; 02-20-2006 at 04:23 PM. Reason: update

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

How about Race Face Turbines?

I'm using Race Face Turbines in 94/58 with 30/20 rings. These cranks have a long history of reliability and are between $45 and $100 on ebay in Square or Splined, I think mine weighed 450G. There's also the Alloy and Carbon version called Next LP that are have a higher bling factor, supposed to be around 400G and more expensive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Race-Face-Turbin...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/RACE-FACE-FORGED...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Race-Face-Turbin...QQcmdZViewItem
    2 wheels

Members who have read this thread: 0