Gravity rigid 29er ss!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Gravity rigid 29er ss!!!

I just got finished putting my gravity 29er rigid ss and I love it! I did a lot of research (and over thinking) and bought one a few weeks ago. Im about 5' 8-9" with an actual inseam of 32 and a pants (levis) inseam of 30, but usually 28 because I cuff them. Anyway I bought the 15.5 and I feel like it fits me perfectly. Now, this is my first mountain bike but Ive ridden a bit of bmx but I really feel like this fit is spot on. The assembly went by super great but the breaks were a little of a pain but I got them eventually, still don't think they're perfect though... This bike rides great and I'm gonna take it on some trails out around my house. This bike is gonna be my starter and if I get really into it I might build it into a basic all mountain bike. I reaaaaally cant wait to get some new parts on it and start riding all the time.
    Some things Im gonna buy are:

-BB7s.
    -Handle bar, stem, seatpost.
    -Grips and pedals.
    -Wheels and tires (tubless)
    -Manitou tower pro with 120mm travel and 15mm QR.
    Just about in that order too haha.

Gravity rigid 29er ss!!!-untitled.jpg

Long story shot, I posted this because I had a lot of questions when looking at this bike and I didn't find too many answers, so if anybody has any questions about this bike just reply to this post or message me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by radjadd View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	720 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	867613
    Which frame is it? Cannot see it on the photo. Dou you have link to the manufacturers website?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    Which frame is it? Cannot see it on the photo. Dou you have link to the manufacturers website?
    Its just a gravity 29er from Bikes Direct heres the link Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29 SS Single Speed 29er Mountain Bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    IMHO, skip the BB7's and get shimano deore M615's

Not much more money, loads better on every single aspect that matters on a brake. eBikeStop has them for cheap. Merlin cycles (UK retailer I think) has me for even less but takes longer to get here.

Have fun with the build.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hiroshima View Post

Not much more money, loads better on every single aspect that matters on a brake. eBikeStop has them for cheap. Merlin cycles (UK retailer I think) has me for even less but takes longer to get here.

Have fun with the build.
    I always here people saying BB7s are the best, the deores are better?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I got no feedback on the deores, but the only difference between bb5 > bb7 I noticed was ease of adjustment. If you get the bb5's dialed in they work just as well, so you may want to upgrade calipers last.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Have fun with the build.
    Depends what you want for ease of maintainece and setup not having to bleed brakes can't beat BB7s.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I always here people saying BB7s are the best, the deores are better?
    I would second what hiroshima said. My experience with BB7s (2 different pairs on 2 bikes) has been really mediocre. I'd take the Deores any day and they can be had for like $60 per, including levers.
    I collect the best mountain biking deals and write about how to save you money!

BudgetMTB The Best Mountain Biking Deals

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    EDIT - Sorry to take this so far off topic. OP, I still think you should look at Deores. But this was not a brake discussion, so sorry to pull it so far away. CHeers

Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    Depends what you want for ease of maintainece and setup not having to bleed brakes can't beat BB7s.
    There is more maintinance on BB7's then Deore Hydros. Shimano brakes are dead easy to bleed. Pump 30cc's from the caliper up to the lever with a cheap screw on syringe or Shimano cup (I use the cup), tap the lines as you do it and flick the levers at the end after you close the bleed valve. 10 min. I have many rides, many miles, and 16 months on my first bleed, and just re-bleed yesterday.... a few tiny bubbles which I think was probably a crappy job on the first bleed, clean fluid.... I probably could have left it in there for another year.

The brakes are SOLID, and since its a sealed system, no lubbing cables, worrying about grime or cable drag.

I know guys that go 2-4 years between brake bleeds on Shimano brakes, and since it uses Mineral Oil and not DOT, there is no issue with water absorbtion.

If you ask me, BB7's:
    -require more maintinance
    -make more noise
    -have less power but have have similar modulation
    -require more hand effort to get max braking
    -are not natural 1-finger brakes when compared to Shimano
    -still use mech cables so they simply don't feel as smooth
    -cost about the same as Deores
    -take longer to setup then Deores since hydros are self-centering, whereas BB7's have the internal pad adjustment and really only push one pad towards the other

Like I said, "Loads better on every single aspect that matters on a brake."

I suppose I could conceed that if you want to use existing cable levers and don't want to buy $15 in parts (once) and $5 in fluid once a year at max, then BB7's > Shimano.

Case in point: I built up another bike, Stumpjumper Comp Alloy HT. Removed Maguras and put on Deores. Not SLX, not XT, for my XC riding Deore simply cannot be beat and only gives up maybe 5% of the performance of upper-end Shimanos. If I was a DH cyclist, my tune might change.
    Last edited by hiroshima; 02-06-2014 at 10:47 AM. Reason: appology to OP for veering off topic

mtbr member
    That's a nice looking bike you got there! I've had my eye on that bike for awhile now, do you know how much it weighs?

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    OP,enjoy the ride,my friend-for the money,LOTS of smiles per mile. I had one last year (before finding a real deal on new On One frames). Swapped on some parts I had in the parts bin

On the brakes debate,FWIW,I have no experience with the Deores (read great things tho),never had any issue with my bb7's (which were also swapped onto this bike,CL'ed the stockers and met/made a new riding bud )

'11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Gravity rigid 29er ss!!!-012.jpg

The best bang for the buck I can think of as well. I have made several modifications to mine but the stock bike really works quite well. Here's mine before the mods. Welcome to the club
    I need to ride more...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ASiameseCat View Post
    That's a nice looking bike you got there! I've had my eye on that bike for awhile now, do you know how much it weighs?
    Ups said that the entire box weighed 30 pounds so Im going to say it ways around 27 pounds.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    EDIT - Sorry to take this so far off topic. OP, I still think you should look at Deores. But this was not a brake discussion, so sorry to pull it so far away. CHeers

There is more maintinance on BB7's then Deore Hydros. Shimano brakes are dead easy to bleed. Pump 30cc's from the caliper up to the lever with a cheap screw on syringe or Shimano cup (I use the cup), tap the lines as you do it and flick the levers at the end after you close the bleed valve. 10 min. I have many rides, many miles, and 16 months on my first bleed, and just re-bleed yesterday.... a few tiny bubbles which I think was probably a crappy job on the first bleed, clean fluid.... I probably could have left it in there for another year.

The brakes are SOLID, and since its a sealed system, no lubbing cables, worrying about grime or cable drag.

I know guys that go 2-4 years between brake bleeds on Shimano brakes, and since it uses Mineral Oil and not DOT, there is no issue with water absorbtion.

If you ask me, BB7's:
    -require more maintinance
    -make more noise
    -have less power but have have similar modulation
    -require more hand effort to get max braking
    -are not natural 1-finger brakes when compared to Shimano
    -still use mech cables so they simply don't feel as smooth
    -cost about the same as Deores
    -take longer to setup then Deores since hydros are self-centering, whereas BB7's have the internal pad adjustment and really only push one pad towards the other

Like I said, "Loads better on every single aspect that matters on a brake."

I suppose I could conceed that if you want to use existing cable levers and don't want to buy $15 in parts (once) and $5 in fluid once a year at max, then BB7's > Shimano.

Case in point: I built up another bike, Stumpjumper Comp Alloy HT. Removed Maguras and put on Deores. Not SLX, not XT, for my XC riding Deore simply cannot be beat and only gives up maybe 5% of the performance of upper-end Shimanos. If I was a DH cyclist, my tune might change.
    I might try the m615s haha. Anything would be better at this point than the brakes that came on it. Im gonna do some downhill in the desert around my house and some this summer at a bike park, nothing crazy mostly because I dont have the skill yet, but Im sure the m615s will do the job!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by camekanix View Post

Name:	012.jpg 
Views:	1332 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	867785

The best bang for the buck I can think of as well. I have made several modifications to mine but the stock bike really works quite well. Here's mine before the mods. Welcome to the club
    What mods have you got on that bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

My Gravity Out and About.

Gravity rigid 29er ss!!!-bgp48-ecqaa4y-3.jpg

mtbr member
    Current mods are BB7's with a larger rotor up front, carbon fork, wider bars, different seat, ghetto tubeless, and an external bearing crankset. The only part replaced due to a failure was the crankset. The mod that made the biggest impact was the tubeless conversion.
    I also have a separate chain and cog set (33-17 or 33-21)for flatter vs very hilly rides.
    I need to ride more...

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I'm new to the forum but have been reading a lot of posts about the gravity 29er. I lived on my bmx bike until my thirties and then went to a mountain bike (dept store variety). I mainly rode it on roads as there are not many trails around my area. Anyway I have been wanting to get more into biking and I really miss my bmx type of bike, and after finding this bike it seems like a SS will be a blast. I just ordered the orange 17.5 and will post pics when it arrives. I think I'm going to put some DMR riser bars and a bmx style stem on it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    bike is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday! Can't wait!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ramseydmr View Post
    bike is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday! Can't wait!!!
    Thats the reason I bought this bike, I thought it would feel closer to home. Home being a bmx bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Received my bike yesterday
    Assembled it last night and it was a breeze. Brakes were easy to adjust. Chain was a bit too tight, but other than that it seems well put together. I'm sure glad that I went with the 17.5 as it is bigger than I thought it would be, but it fits great. The 19" would have been too large. I'm 5'9" with a 31" inseam.
    Gravity rigid 29er ss!!!-image.jpg
    Last edited by ramseydmr; 02-20-2014 at 12:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Where do they ship from? What was total shipping time?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I believe mine shipped from a texas warehouse. I ordered the bike on a friday night and received it on the following wednesday.

mtbr member
    Anybody have updates on how they feel about this bike? I am seriously considering one soon.
    Living in the moment is always better on two wheels. :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I have one, 17.5, that I bought off CL. I don't have a detailed review, but Dirtrag has a pretty good one if you google it. I will say that I like the Bike, it has a truly solid frame to build on. I replaced a few things, Kona headset, some new pedals (the stock pedals are garbage). I swiched out the handgrip too, the stock ones are ok but I have a weird thing about handgrips a like a very specific feel to mine. The only thing I haven't done yetis the brakes, which are undoubtedly the weakest part of the bike. I will be changing those ASAP I just need to decide which ones to get...

In short, great bike for the money, the frame geometry is perfect. I am not super keen on 29ers but I like this one for cruising around trails and stuff. If you don't like it you can sell it on CL and make all but $50 bucks back I would bet.

mtbr member
    Thanks, anyone else, or anyone looking to part with a used one? In a 15 or 17?
    Living in the moment is always better on two wheels. :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Name:	BgP48-ECQAA4Y-3.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	869130
    I saw the thread title and thought, yea another nutbar, wasn't so sure when i saw the first photo of the ride, but then i was sold again with the action shot ripping it downhill with a full facer on :-)
    If the brakes are lacking then go up in rotor size for more power.
    It's a loud and lairy colour, love it, ride it like you stole it :-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    This thread may indeed be a bit loooong in the tooth but I just bought me a G29 SS rigid and am pacing w/ anticipation for FredFex to bring it to its new loving home. I got Gloss Black cuz 90% of my riding is 'on da skreet bruh' & wanted to look flashy fo da laydeez.

Odd how I didn't see the most hated word in the mtb world SAG ^ anywhere up dar? I'd really love to see some multi-million dollar NASA study on how many ft/lbs of kinetic energy is wasted per second per second on FS bikes cuz its gotta be a helluva lot? I'm 5'8", 218lbs (not a fatass either believe it or don't) and I still clearly remember the first time I rode my humble Schwinn Protocol (yea I admit it!) and I swear the bike sunk down more than it went forward till I tighted the 1,000lb (?) spring all the way down.

Anyway thanks for reading and to all my rigid SS bruthas I say keep it rigid..keep everything rigid if you know what I mean and I think ya do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gravity rigid 29er ss!!!-g29_black_2100.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2019

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I'd be willing to bet that rigid ATB riders have much stronger legs directly due to the isometric contractions exerted from absorbing all the G forces that normally rear suspension would absorb.