Got it narrowed down to four.... or five. - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Not a role model
    Guessing you're not in a hurry to get a new bike. Gonna be extremely hard to beat that Fezzari La Sal Peak, if you want something middle-of-the-road and easy to live with, that's dialed. That's already at the sweet spot, IMO. Only thing that I'd worry about is the short ETT not being for everyone, as that might induce some hand pressure that turns to discomfort over long rides, but you seem happy from your demo rides. Sounds like your back is strong enough to hold up your upper body for long periods (which is easier with an upright position).

Soooo many good choices to choose from, fitting on size L. Well, that Kona probably better in terms of riding style if you want something you can chuck around and downsize to M, due to the shorter wheelbase and improved standover. I wouldn't condone downsize from L on the Fezzari or Knolly.

Just a flesh wound
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Good question: Leaning towards the Fezzari La Sal and Fugitive LT (and have added the Kona Process 153 CR/DL to my not-so-short lis)...... but can't discount any of the others until I ride them. Tough choices. Going to do some demos this Fall.
    The Fezzari La Sal Peak was almost in the cart when I found out that a friend of mine had become an Ibis dealer. I ended up with the Ripmo, but I'm sure the La Sal Peak would have been just as good. Hard to go wrong with your choices. All great bikes and in the end you will get dialed in on whichever one you choose.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    The Fezzari La Sal Peak was almost in the cart when I found out that a friend of mine had become an Ibis dealer. I ended up with the Ripmo, but I'm sure the La Sal Peak would have been just as good. Hard to go wrong with your choices. All great bikes and in the end you will get dialed in on whichever one you choose.
    The Ripmo was on my list of interest, but I bought my Evil Offering.

transmitter~receiver
    pull up your big girl panties and make a dang decision!
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

high pivot witchcraft
    Anyone on the fence about a Druid should consider giving Dustin at We Are One a call. Ask him how he and his associate, Jordan, are enjoying their own personal Druids. Pick up a sweet set of wheels while you are at it. Itís free information and Dustin has lots of street cred - he reached the podium multiple times riding for Giant.

If you do call him, please report back. I would be interested in hearing his thoughts.

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/not-a-ty...-the-kbra.html
    2020 Kona Unit (in progress...)
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Good question: Leaning towards the Fezzari La Sal and Fugitive LT (and have added the Kona Process 153 CR/DL to my not-so-short lis)...... but can't discount any of the others until I ride them. Tough choices. Going to do some demos this Fall.
    Apples and oranges, makes me wonder if you really know what you want.

It's not a bad thing to have an interest in one bike or another, but don't let the hype lead you toward making an emotional decision.

In theory, any bike can be made to ride well for most folks, but is it the bike that will serve you best?

Every bike is a compromise unless it's a single use bike, but even then there are compromises, pros and cons.

No bike is "better" than another.

Outerbike Moab is October...
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Anyone on the fence about a Druid should consider giving Dustin at We Are One a call. Ask him how he and his associate, Jordan, are enjoying their own personal Druids. Pick up a sweet set of wheels while you are at it. Itís free information and Dustin has lots of street cred - he reached the podium multiple times riding for Giant.

If you do call him, please report back. I would be interested in hearing his thoughts.

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/not-a-ty...-the-kbra.html
    Anyone else notice the fork that guy is running, mmm, I want!
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    You can't go wrong with the Ripmo it sounds like..... plus price will always play a part in my ultimate decision to some extent. Dealer pricing on Ibis, Evil, or Santa Cruz would sway me in that direction for sure.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member

Got it narrowed down to four.... or five.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    Guessing you're not in a hurry to get a new bike. Gonna be extremely hard to beat that Fezzari La Sal Peak, Only thing that I'd worry about is the short ETT not being for everyone, as that might induce some hand pressure that turns to discomfort over long rides,
    Yeah, not in a huge hurry. Still love my Endorphin and still working on freeing up some funds for the purchase.

I know some have complained of excess pressure on the hands with the more upright/upfront seated positioning on the Fezzari, but I probably put some 40 miles on it in varying terrain on a single day demo and didn't notice that being an issue. In fact I really liked the pedaling position of the La Sal.

My Endorphin is already set up to simulate a steeper seat tube bike with the steep-for-2015 effective STA of 74 deg, seat height half inch lower than ideal full XC leg extension, and pushed forward on the rails beyond the mid point, and the nose adjusted slightly south of level. Almost all my rides start with a fairly long, sometimes steep 45-60 min climb so I like being over the pedals more. As an aside, my hands and wrists do get tired on long flatter rides on my Endorphin, so maybe I should make some adjustments.
    Last edited by KRob; 08-22-2019 at 10:51 PM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

It's not a bad thing to have an interest in one bike or another, but don't let the hype lead you toward making an emotional decision.

In theory, any bike can be made to ride well for most folks, but is it the bike that will serve you best?

Every bike is a compromise unless it's a single use bike, but even then there are compromises, pros and cons.

That may be true, but I've ridden a ton of bikes over the years and I think I have a pretty good idea of what I like in a bike. Actually every bike on my list is fairly similar on paper and tend to be in the same category at least: 135-150 aggressive trail 29ers that can rip on the smoother stuff almost as well as my Endo yet still add a good dose of capability on the more gnar/tech stuff. That was my stated goal from the original post and I don't think I've strayed from that.

Are they different? Sure. Will they ride differently? You bet. Will one suit me better than another? Probably... although I suspect I could get along just fine with any one of them.... plus another 5-6 that aren't on my list. That's why I need to demo the top five or six more extensively before deciding. Gathering as many data points from folks who have ridden them is helpful, but ultimately it will come down to which one tickles my fancy the most (Admitting that there's lots of intangibles in that phrase that will play a role in which one I buy as well, including stupid things like looks, available colors, perceived brand identity, brand loyalty, etc..... yes, I'm shallow.)

www.stuckinthespokes.com

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I still think the Ripmo is tough to beat, particularly for a bike that gets used for a lot of climbing.

Interestingly, a SoMo acquaintance is now on a La Sal Peak and loving it. AND, one of my riding buddies just went to Outerbike and the demo he loved the most out of all? The La Sal Peak.

It's a bit of an ugly duckling in my eyes, but then so is the Ripmo for me; even though I absolutely loved that bike.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    It's a bit of an ugly duckling in my eyes, but then so is the Ripmo for me; even though I absolutely loved that bike.
    Totally agree on the looks of the La Sal. It's ugly. But... if it rips I'll ride it. It looks like it might have pretty high standover, which is a complaint I have with my current bike. Need to look at the numbers again. The Ripmo? I don't think it's ugly, just kinda meh. I've been on the Ripmo twice now, and enjoyed it. Want to try the Rallon too.

So many bikes.... I like these threads.
    "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

Real Estate Professionals llc.
    realestate-professionals.com

mtbr member

Got it narrowed down to four.... or five.

I still think the Ripmo is tough to beat, particularly for a bike that gets used for a lot of climbing.

Interestingly, a SoMo acquaintance is now on a La Sal Peak and loving it. AND, one of my riding buddies just went to Outerbike and the demo he loved the most out of all? The La Sal Peak.

Agreed. Ripmo is hard to beat. The more people who ride the La Sal Peak, the more people will be raving about it too. Itís that good. And yes, I think itís kinda ugly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KRob; 08-27-2019 at 06:56 PM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I had a Ripmo on order last summer, shipments were delayed, I didnít want to wait, read about Guerilla Gravity, bought a Smash sight unseen, loved that bike. Bought a carbon Shred Dog this summer to replace it, love that bike. Rode a Ripmo recently, did not like that bike.

Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you gotta work to make a bike feel good, sometimes you just donít like a bike.

On paper things can look very similar, but really the geometry means nothing if the bike rides poorly ďto youĒ.

Iíll admit to having fantasies about what bikes look good, and Iíll see reviews that make a bike sound rad, and Iíll watch videos of riders just killing it on a bike, but none of this matters cuz Iím not them and numbers donít tell the whole story.

In the forty plus years that Iíve been riding bikes, I have yet to encounter someone who likes a bike set up the same as I like a bike set up ...

I think all this ďwhat bike is betterĒ stuff is like fantasy sports, itís just not reality 🙄

Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Then why do you keep posting on these threads? I'm probably wrong, but your tone seems to suggest you mostly just want to show us all how smart you are.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

Hey man, these boards would be total empty if it weren't for us bunch of uptight biker guys picking, posting, and fretting over bike related minutiae.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Haha, I love this thread.

high pivot witchcraft
    Just got an email today from Forbidden:

Our next shipment of Druids has arrived!

If you've been waiting to get your hands on some #highpivotwitchcraft, now's the time! All 3 sizes are back in stock, but as usual, size Large frames will be in high demand - so make your move!

For our American friends, make sure to contact Fanatik Bike Co to place your order.

And in Canada and the UK, visit our website now to order your Druid with free shipping!

BOOM!
    2020 Kona Unit (in progress...)
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm guessing you've seen the release and reviews of the new Kona Process 134 and the Ibis Ripmo AF?

Both look really good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmj831 View Post
    I'm guessing you've seen the release and reviews of the new Kona Process 134 and the Ibis Ripmo AF?

Both look really good.
    I have. These manufacturers are certainly complicating things for me. Wonder how long before the updated geo carbon Ripmo lands.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Then why do you keep posting on these threads? I'm probably wrong, but your tone seems to suggest you mostly just want to show us all how smart you are.
    I am smart, but that doesn't mean anything to anyone else unless what I think is helpful, so I'm pretty much like any other anonymous on a social media platform.

Is there really a "tone" in text? Maybe it's con"text", maybe it's my mood at the time, perhaps it's what I read just before I posted, or it could be what I ate for dinner.

It's an anonymous social media forum, so try not to make it anything more than that, it'll only frustrate you.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Hey man, these boards would be total empty if it weren't for us bunch of uptight biker guys picking, posting, and fretting over bike related minutiae.

Here, here!

I'm thinking MTBR should pay us for stirring shite!

So I had this thought: In a sense, people posting to MTBR are lay employees of the bike industry, so shouldn't we be able to get shop rate for bike products?

I totally want to buy a Shout, but wife just scoffed.... I still want one though

Anyone wanna hook a guy up for a Trust fork discount?
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    I have. These manufacturers are certainly complicating things for me. Wonder how long before the updated geo carbon Ripmo lands.
    I bet next year summer earliest or maybe never. I think a lot depends on how AF is received.

https://reviews.mtbr.com/ibis-ripmo-...w-price-weight

MTBR: Does this mean the carbon Ripmo is likely to get a makeover soon?

Nicol: The Ripmo stays in the line, unchanged. Weíre going to see what the reaction is to this bike.

The 12mm longer reach was noticeable. The reach, plus the added front center resulting from the slacker head angle does require more effort and more forethought when navigating tight switchbacksóthereís just more bike in front of you to swing through turns. The tradeoff is a bit more confidence (12mm and 1-degree of confidence, to be specific) when plunging down steep, high-speed descents.
    So it is not a "free" thing the geo change. You do lose something, but if is a net positive remains to be seen. I have not looked at the numbers close enough, but I wonder if "size up" would simulate the 12mm reach increase and angle set deal with the -1 deg HA. Remember with such a short seat post being able go up a size should be possible.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I bet next year summer earliest or maybe never. I think a lot depends on how AF is received.

So it is not a "free" thing the geo change. You do lose something, but if is a net positive remains to be seen. I have not looked at the numbers close enough, but I wonder if "size up" would simulate the 12mm reach increase and angle set deal with the -1 deg HA. Remember with such a short seat post being able go up a size should be possible.
    For me, I felt between sizes on the Ripmo. large was a bit small a little too short in the reach department specifically. Extra large was more like the bike I'm on now feeling a bit too long in the front center to where it was fast in a straight line and when I had the energy to be super aggressive and way out over the front, but a handful as I got more tired or the trails got tighter.

I've been looking for a middle ground...something that can still be fast and stable but change lines a little easier, pop the front up a little easier Etc.
    The 12 mm longer reach in the geo allows me to size down from an XL to a large and get the fit that I'm looking for. I think the more aggressive geo but in a size smaller should split the difference allowing me to still ride steep stuff confidently but have a little bit more comfortable, nimble bike. it is slacker than I have found a generally like in a 29er (65.5 -66 seems perfect) but the reach and wheelbase, stack, CS length etv are about perfect. Plus the Ibis rep I talked to said they've had people test with a 150 fork to steepen it a bit and like that in that configuration too.

Found it at a dealer and am setting up a demo so we'll see.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    pull up your big girl panties and make a dang decision!
    Ha ha, Right? Decisions are not my strong suit. Having said that, I could argue that being patient and waiting until I know exactly which bike I want and have the cash in hand demonstrates exceptional maturity.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmj831 View Post
    RipmoAF

Found it at a dealer and am setting up a demo so we'll see.
    Let us know what you think.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post

That's smart on Ibis' part. Try the tweaks out in an aluminum frame first before committing to full carbon mold. I'll bet they sell a ton of these RimpAF bikes.

I suspect for most of my riding, I'll like the geo on the OG Ripmo better..... but longer and slacker is always better, right? (I know there are trade offs).

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12