Good XC race tire to be run tubeless- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Good XC race tire to be run tubeless

Hey all, I took delivery of my S-Works 29er and I'm looking for a good set of XC race tires that can be reliably run tubeless since the S-Works "2bliss'' tires the bike comes with are a WORTHLESS JOKE of a tubeless tire. I'm about 175 lbs, run C29ssmax wheels, and live in phoenix, az so a fair amount of rocky desert conditions. My main concern is the strength of the casing during racing. I plan on running stan's also. I don't mind a bit of extra weight if it means a more reliable setup.

What is the deal with running tubeless these days? My 2001 S-Works 26er came with Hutchinson Pythons on Crossmax's and I ran that set up and raced on it for an entire season and had 0 issues.

I was considering Maxxis Crossmarks, WTB Nanoraptors, or even Hutchinson Pythons since I had good luck in the past with the 26'' versions.

What do you folks think?
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

CB2
    Jam Econo
    If you like Pythons, you'll probably like Conti Race Kings. Fast rolling tire that's pretty good in all but the sloppiest conditions.
    Geax Saguaros are good in the dry too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Maxxis Crossmarks don't have much more sidewall than the S-Works. Nanos are decent I think. No clue on the Pythons.

Geax Saguaros in the TNT version have a real nice reinforced sidewall and the traction is good and predictable and they roll fast. The only negative is that they fit so tight I can't get them onto Stan's rims without help, but they should fit your rims fine. One of my new favorites.

My overall favorite is the Captain by Specialized. They corner a little better and are real good in every condition I've come across in the desert including the loose stuff and roll pretty well. I run the Control version up front and the Armadillo Elite in the rear for the extra cut resistance at the penalty of about 50 grams.

Neither tire is that light, but they're not really all that heavy either (700-800 grams). And I'm down in Tucson so I know about rocks.

the flerg

... and if we just ...

I ran exiwolfs, nanoraptors, crossmark, and vulpine throughout the race season last year. I don't change that often but race SS too on a different bike. The exiwolf are reserved for less than ideal conditions and work great. If I'm riding hard pack with the expected roots and rocks here in GA then I run crossmark in front and nano's in the back. When I'm on something a little flatter and dry then the vulpines really sail.

Until as few months ago I would have said that the nano's which were my workhorses were flawless but I cut the tread to a unrepairable death. I've been thinking about a small block 8 on the back for this season, not sure yet.

Let us know what direction you go.
    Dogs are happiest on bike trails.

mtbr member
    + 1 for the Conti Race King. I'm not a racer but they're good imo. And you're right : that S-Works "2bliss" system really sucks....couldn't keep up pressure, not even for 2 hours.

mtbr member
    What specialized tire came on the bike and why didn't you like it? I head good things about the captain 2bliss.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Sworks tires have a 120tpi casing and quite fragile. If you like the tread pattern, check the Control or Armadillo versions.
    Pythons always rock.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

Az HS Cycling League

Hmm...

The control version of the Captains and the Fastraks have worked really well for me here in AZ. I am not light either (~215 lbs). I have raced on both with good success. Good luck.
    Support Arizona High School Cycling League
    www.arizonamtb.org

mtbr member
    After today I am completely fed up with Specialized tires. I am thinking about either the race kings or small block 8's...
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

Never trust a fart
    I'm running the Geax Barro Race 2.0's TNT's. These are a very soft compound, so probably will have to be replaced after 400-500 miles. But I picked them for for $30 online. So far so good. But we will see how they perform in race conditions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have run both SB8's and Nano's tubeless. The Nano's are much more durable tires, with a more durable sidewall for running tubeless.

Right now I have some SB8's on my RX29er and while they hook up well, I am not happy with the durability. I ride in very rocky, thorny, dry terrain and the Nano's fit the terrain very well.

I will switch back to Nano's as soon as the SB8's are worn out.

mtbr member
    have to give a nod to any of the Bonti TLR tyres, just pick the tread patern you like - I like the XR's personally and MudX for of course mud. Also if you liked the Pythons in 26" why not give them a go in 29", they are tubeless ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    You're concerned about sidewall strength but considering a SB8

I'll second the Captain recommendation w/ the heavier casing too. Running one in the NE (we have loads of rocks too) on my full squish bike with good results. FWIW, I'm ~220ish and jump up/on/off pretty much anything I can find.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have just gone tubeless today! I am running SB8 in the back and ww lt in the front. I was at the LBS and talked with the owner who rides several bikes and another dude and they all swear by SB8. I live in YUMA my trails and conditions are much worse than PHX I have been to White Tanks, Mcdowell, Estrella and Prescott all those places are HEAVEN compared to the trail we have in wonderful YUMA. I have the pleasure of riding on raked out goat trails.

I was running Bont. XDX liked them but caught a rock just right and ripped out my side wall. Less than 50 miles on them. So I change I have learned to carry a spare tire and tube.

YUT!

OLD-N-SLOW

Flight Junkie
    How about Racing Ralph snakeskin? I just bought a pair of lightly used ones and am considering trying those with Stan's arches. Any success with these?
    ROTOR HEAD

awesome
    anybody racing on 2.25 ardents?

mtbr member
    Can't stop myself any longer. Nano Raptor Nano Raptor Nano Raptor.

I feel much better now.

Harmonius Wrench
    I see Nano's, Vulpines, Pythons, and Barro Race tires all mentioned here and I would concur on all of those. Also the Specialized Fast Trak LK's are pretty dang fast tires and 2Bliss.

For those who like Hutchinson Pythons and could get away with a slightly narrower tire than that, the "rear" version of the Bonty 29-3 is well worth a look.

Surprised that no one has mentioned Stan's Ravens.

Also the Maxxis Aspen, which for a higher volume, and light weight tire looks killer.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    the aspen is the lightest tire with still decent size and tread of any 29er out there right now.....next in line would prob be the igniter......both sidewalls have been plenty durable for me, the s-works captain sidewall tore very easily......

the raven are nice comfortable riding hard pack tire, but i like the aspen better and they are lighter with better tread.........

mtbr member
    I have the Racing Ralph snakeskin version tubeless and it works great. I also run it on the Arch rim. It's pretty firm in the sidewall due to the Snakeskin protection. I will confess it is not my favorite front tire.
    Ride it like you stole it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My only DNF last year was due to a Crossmark sidewall cut. For non-rocky terrain, the tires are very fast. They're just not sturdy enough for desert or other rocky terrain use, IMO.

I'm running Bonty XDX rear/29-3 front, both TLR, and really like 'em. They've hooked up well in wet sandy as well as wet loamy conditions, and on rocky hardpack, too.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Schwalbe

The best tire brand for converted tubeless is Schwalbe. I recommend selecting an appropriate tire for your conditions and go with it. They convert the best, the ride the best, they wear the best and the are the most re-useable (i.e. remove, store for winter, remount)

Quote Originally Posted by mtbkracr
    Hey all, I took delivery of my S-Works 29er and I'm looking for a good set of XC race tires that can be reliably run tubeless since the S-Works "2bliss'' tires the bike comes with are a WORTHLESS JOKE of a tubeless tire. I'm about 175 lbs, run C29ssmax wheels, and live in phoenix, az so a fair amount of rocky desert conditions. My main concern is the strength of the casing during racing. I plan on running stan's also. I don't mind a bit of extra weight if it means a more reliable setup.

What is the deal with running tubeless these days? My 2001 S-Works 26er came with Hutchinson Pythons on Crossmax's and I ran that set up and raced on it for an entire season and had 0 issues.

I was considering Maxxis Crossmarks, WTB Nanoraptors, or even Hutchinson Pythons since I had good luck in the past with the 26'' versions.

What do you folks think?
    M

mtbr member
    I had horrible luck with the Schawlbe's I converted... one ride in phoenix and I was tearing them... I thought it was bad luck, however it happened on multiple tires. I have not tried the new reinforced sidewall ones... so those may be different.... but last years had super thin sidewalls that just did not work in the rocks.

I have tried multiple bontragers - the originals had weak sidewalls... and lasted a couple of rides. The ones with the beefed up sidewalls - I was getting tears in the tread, and they were heavy

The crossmarks seemed to hold up decent, but I had bad luck with the ignitors - and they roll pretty slow.

Kenda - forget it. I was trying to run Karma 1.9's and they were SUPER fast, however the sidewalls are very thin. Had bad luck with all of the kenda tires that I have tried

I have to say it too... NANO NANO NANO NANO!!!! Great sidewall, fast rolling, work great in AZ, and not that heavy (600-620, weigh all at the bike shop and get the lightest ones.... )

I have one disclaimer - None of the tires I run are tubeless tires (except for a couple "tubeless ready" bontragers) I could never justify that HUGE weight penalty when the Nanos work almost flawless for the AZ application....

Members who have read this thread: 0