Good tires for a SS Rigid 29er- Mtbr.com
    Two Headed Boy

Good tires for a SS Rigid 29er

I mostly just lurk and read around here, but thought I would chime in and get some suggestions for a set of tires! I have some WTB Nano Raptor 2.1's right now, and plan on building some others wheels up and want some trail only tires for them. Really would like some decent cushion as I ride rigid, but don't want major tankers.

Thanks for any suggestions,
    Nick

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    weirwolf

Two Headed Boy
    I thought those were discontinued?

mtbr member
    Some are still available abouts the WWW, plus WTB just introduced the newly revised WeirWolfs at Sea Otter, due to be available later this year they said. Also there are other high volume tyres you can try, depending on your terrain and riding style....Racing Ralph 2.4", Ardent 2.4", Purgatory 2.4", Mtn.King 2.4" (also discontinued and re-designed, release sometime this year) and there's a few others not coming to mind right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Trower
    I thought those were discontinued?

Two Headed Boy
    Thanks! Might hold off for some new Weir's

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Larry.

SSlow rider
    I loved my 1st gen 2.4 Mtn Kings. I would've replaced them with the new ones, but they aren't out yet. I'm currently using 2.4 & 2.25 Ardents front & back right now. They're working out OK.

Got a suspension fork
    Purgatory
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

eschewing obfuscation
    love me some purgatory's in the wet, and ww's in the dry on my rigid bike. ardent 2.4's are now my favorite for "mixed condition" high volume tire (if i only had one tire of my rigid 69er ss, this would be it). however, right now i am running a wtb kodiak... holy crap! this thing is amazing (better in dry than wet). sure, it's heavy as hell @1400grams or so, but if you've got the legs and want mega volume and a super trucker sidewall, this is it!
    "Bikes have wheels." -Noam Chomsky

EXORCIZE
    I've been trying to get another SS rigid bike built up forever. When I do, I'm thinking Ardent 2.4 front, Exiwolf rear ( for dry desert conditions).

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    2.4 Racing Ralphs run tubeless with 20-22psi - That's my cush.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've had a lot of luck with both 2.4 Ralphs and 2.25 Nevegals on my rigid. Very hard to give a specific recommendation without knowing the conditions you ride in and your riding style.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

SSlow rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_M
    Very hard to give a specific recommendation without knowing the conditions you ride in and your riding style.
    QFT.

FWIW, I ride mainly on soft loamy trails near the house, but I often ride dry hardpack with loose stuff over the trails at another nearby trail as well. The Ardent combo I use has been good. I do run tubeless on Arches even though the tires aren't specified as tubeless ready.

The A-Train
    Apr 2006
    My recommendation for loamy-to-hardpack would be a pair of WTB ExiWolf 2.3 folders. Tried and true with loads of traction; my coworker runs a set of these right no on his '9er, and loves them. The Racing Ralphs will certainly roll quicker and have a very high quality casing and rubber compound - I have a coworker rolling on those right now and he vanishes on the smooth stuff - but the Exi's are by no means a slow tire. Careful with those Schwalbes, though; they really are a race tire and the tread longevity just isn't there.

That said, I didn't go the ExiWolf route for my Niner rigid SS; it's getting the WTB Bronson 2.2 treatment.

poser Administrator
    no vote for rampages so I am going to suggest rampages. High volume, good all around grip, reasonable weight, reasonable price, work well tubeless, and roll well.

Check 'em out before you spend big dollars on schwable or specialized.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    no vote for rampages so I am going to suggest rampages. High volume, good all around grip, reasonable weight, reasonable price, work well tubeless, and roll well.

Check 'em out before you spend big dollars on schwable or specialized.
    +1 for the Rampage. Nice and squishy on the front, with plenty of cornering grip.

banned
    Jun 2007
    As a Clyde, I too like big rubber, and have run Rampages for years. Recently built a rigid SS 29er, and am liking the Ardent 2.4 (EXO) up front, yet it is heavier. To offset, put a Geax Saguaro rear, which seems much faster than the Rampage, is still high volume, and seems better for all except maybe an uber mudfest.

mtbr member
    +1 for Racing Ralphs 2.4

change is good
    Sep 2004
    FR3 tubeless, faster than a Rampage, but heavier. It's heavy, but tough. It's a great trail tire that can be run at loooow pressures. Good tire for a clyde like myself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rad Rider 415
    WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55
    on the front.

ExiWolf 2.3 on the back.

Tubeless on Flows.

Very Cush!

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Geax Saguaro 29x2.2 front and rear.....good volume, fast rolling, not too heavy, great sidewalls, great traction....love mine everywhere but in wet rocks/roots.
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

mtbr member
    On paper, Ardents look good for this application although I have no first hand experience.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Ardent 2.4 front, and ExiWolf 2.3 on the rear seems to handle most conditions well in SE PA.

Tulsa
    I' running a nobby nic 2.35 in front and an ardent out back. Always experimenting, the Ardent will probably go

the nic is a win for me

wherever you go, there you are

Abby Normal
    Weirwolf LT up front, Exiwolf in the back, been a good combo.

mtbr member
    I run a X-King 2.4 on the front. I like it a lot more then the Mountain King 2.4 that was on there.

I used to run a Mtn King 2.2 on the back, but just put a Race King 2.2 on there and have been happy so far. It might not be the best for real wet conditions, but if that is the case, I probably should not be on the bike anyway.

Category Winner
    Since 2007 I've dabbled with other tires.

I've never been more pleased in all conditions than I have been with a Rampage in the front.

Volume, durability, grip, mud shedding, weight, dry conditions... all in the ball park of where I want to be.

The IKON in the rear has so far been pleasing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Good tires for a SS Rigid 29er-misfitmisfitfinaldd.jpg  

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I too am building a rigid 29er. Niner S.I.R. w/Niner steel fork. I'm a newbie to MTB, but have BMX experience from many years ago. I'm also a Clyde 6'2 & 245lbs.

The trail I'll be learning on is technical, a lot of tight switchbacks, rocks, roots, and a lot of sand. I tried a few bikes, and really liked the 29er. I also like the hardtail especially on the sandy areas.

What tires would you recommend for my situation? I was thinking Ralph 2.4 on front & Ralph 2.25 on the back. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    My SS has seen rampage, ardent 2.4, and purgatory 2.4 up front. Mix of conditions in OR/WA/CA. Purgatory is my favorite overall. Manages to grip as well as the rampage but with lower rolling resistance.

For a long time I was a rampage fan, despite the common views posted here that the rolling resistance was poor. But now I agree with the conventional wisdom, and consider the rampage to have been eclipsed by more modern designs. Still a good tire though. Note that I rarely ride wet roots; so YMMV.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    frorider,

I'm building mine as 1 x 9, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. How do the purgatory 2.4's run in sand?

29erPastryChef
    Nov 2007
    I have been on a pair of WTB Vulpine's 2.1 for my neck of the woods and they seem to work nicely. Light weight, grippy in hard pack and smooth and speedy. That is my 2 cents from up in Ontario

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by megalops View Post
    frorider,

I'm building mine as 1 x 9, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. How do the purgatory 2.4's run in sand?
    here in Tahoe we get a lot of DG or sand, especially late summer. the Purg 2.4 is good in sand, in my top 3 for sure. big casing volume + wide-ish rim (Flows) + low pressure helps, of course, but the tread pattern is part of the performance.

it's easy to find contradictory, anecdotal info on tires, partly because you never can be certain that every reviewer has taken the time (or has the ability) to find the optimum pressure even when terrain is similar to yours. but one thing that comes up again and again in Purgatory reviews is that it has lower rolling resistance than what you'd expect for a tire with that level of cornering grip.

and it's got the specialized TLR beads -- super easy to set up tubeless on stan's, or other, rims. I'm running my Rampages tubeless but readily admit that the rampage bead, at least on the ones I have, takes a bit more effort than the 20 seconds-and-you're-done TLR specialized.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    I've tried Racing Ralph 2.25 & 2.4, Ardent, Rampage, Bontrager 29-3, and XDX upfront and my favorite was Racing Ralph 2.4, with Ardent my 2nd choice. Rampage had great grip, however felt slower and was the heavier of all listed. RR gets my vote.
    anything Steel

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I go with weirwolf lt 2.55 up front and an ardent 2.25 on back.

formerly "ClydesdaleMTB"
    I have been most pleased w/ ExiWolf 2.3" for sans, dirt,hardpack, rocks, gravel, etc
    And Mtn.King 2.4" for the _really_ nasty stuff, like mud, snow, slop, etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I just tried the Racing Ralphs on my fully rigid and they are great. Easy tubeless set up and lots of cushion.

Rider and Wrench
    My name is XXXX and I have a tire problem.

For a rigid gotta have some volume or it takes all the fun out of it on all but the smoothest trails-

Rampages- solid tire and I still run it in the winter slop- they are grippy and work well tubeless but are not the fastest tires out there- great front in slop for sure- over kill for rear in most conditions

Ardent 2.4 Front- forget about the weight on paper, it rolls very well and offers great rolling for such a beast (only the Racing Ralph 2.4 compares in volume- the Mountain king 2.4 is a Joke in comparison)

WW 2.55 LT No brainer awesome tire for most conditions- don't like the mud though

Gotta go...
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    all these big volumes... maybe I'm missing something good? I've been rocking 2.1" Maxxis Crossmarks and they have been superb. In fact I built my rigid SS because of these tires.

Admittedly I am not as seasoned as some there that seem to have experience with every permutation of tire on the market...impressive.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I ride tubeless Nevegals on my rigid GF Rig. Have thought about a wider tire for the front, but like how these hookup in the corners.

mtbr member
    I run Panaracer Rampages in 2.35", I mostly ride softish/loamy trails and mud. I run them between 20-25 PSI (different front and rear) and couldn't be happier.

RLK
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    2.35" Rampages for the winter/wet/mixed, and WeirWolf LTs for the dry.

The Kenda Slant Six looks interesting, but I'm not sure that 2.2 is enough volume for my tastes.

jct
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozh View Post
    all these big volumes... maybe I'm missing something good? I've been rocking 2.1" Maxxis Crossmarks and they have been superb. In fact I built my rigid SS because of these tires.

Admittedly I am not as seasoned as some there that seem to have experience with every permutation of tire on the market...impressive.
    i currently have a cmark on the rear of my rigid SS. it's a great tire don't get me wrong...still have one on my Anthem 29er for the summer. what i've experienced so far is that on the steeps when you really are laying down the power standing up, the tire can break fairly easily which can kill your climb. if it's loose and/or leafy, then the problem is magnified.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jct View Post
    i currently have a cmark on the rear of my rigid SS. it's a great tire don't get me wrong...still have one on my Anthem 29er for the summer. what i've experienced so far is that on the steeps when you really are laying down the power standing up, the tire can break fairly easily which can kill your climb. if it's loose and/or leafy, then the problem is magnified.
    Even in good tack, I have had mine break on climbs. I put up with it because they roll nice and most of my riding is done on well maintained single track in the midwest. I run mine tubeless and so far have had no issues with the sidewalls being too thin.

I know a few guys running Aspens on the fronts and SB8's on the rear. We are all rolling SS and rigid

Keep on Rockin...
    WW out back and a Nevegal up front. Not the best for all conditions but very good "all-rounders".

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    purgatory 2.4 F and conti race king 2.2 R.....

good for the santa cruz area....
    Click Here for Forum Rules

jct
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post

I was b/w the purg and the ardent 2.4 for my front and went with the ardent also in santa cruz. i'm definitely limited by the width of my mavic 719 rims so i'm not reaping the fully benefits of that tire until i upgrade.

Now broadcasting from CO
    I like my Ardents... 2.25 rear and 2.4 front, ran at around 27 rear, 25 front with tubes. Very cushy, especially the 2.4 up front.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post

Similar here, I've been very pleased so far with my Ardent 2.4 up front and Race King 2.2 out back...

Members who have read this thread: 1