Good tire for climbing and rough decending?- Mtbr.com
    Live Life, Ride a Bike!

Good tire for climbing and rough decending?

I am running a 2.4 MK front and 2.2 rear and so far I happy with the front but the rear just doesnt feel good. I am in Europe with a ton of climbing mainly hard pack to loose over hardpack with a ton of rocks and roots both up and down. I have read about the Crossmarks, the Saguaros, Ardents, Rampages, Stouts, and well pretty much all of the favorites. I am not concerned with weight.I want better handling with stability and traction that setup nice on Flows tubeless. I am running SS hardtail rigid and soon with suspension up front.

Birthday Collector
    I would wonder if the conditions you are in are primarily dry, wet or combination? Everyone I know who rides the Rampages seems to like them except on wet roots. If the rubber on the Stout is soft enough, that would probably be a great tire in the wet... What are the locals running for tires there? Most likely 26" - but the brand/model may translate to a tire that will work for you.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

Live Life, Ride a Bike!
    Most of the Euro's are running Schwable but I have heard bad things on them reading through here. I was considering a Stout/Ardent combo but the 2.4 MK seems to do the trick so far.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    WTB Prolwer SL run in reverse direction (on the rear) Thing climbs like a goat, even when nearly worn out.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino
    WTB Prolwer SL run in reverse direction (on the rear) Thing climbs like a goat, even when nearly worn out.

i don't know why i never thought of turning mine around... i ran a prowler out back for about a week in forward direction and ditched it because it climbed like an asthmatic goat with a bad knee. i'll have to give it another go in the reverse dir.

turtles make me hot
    I like Ardents.
    I like turtles

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by UnitedWeRide
    I am running a 2.4 MK front and 2.2 rear and so far I happy with the front but the rear just doesnt feel good. I am in Europe with a ton of climbing mainly hard pack to loose over hardpack with a ton of rocks and roots both up and down. I have read about the Crossmarks, the Saguaros, Ardents, Rampages, Stouts, and well pretty much all of the favorites. I am not concerned with weight.I want better handling with stability and traction that setup nice on Flows tubeless. I am running SS hardtail rigid and soon with suspension up front.
    Since your in the land of great beer - take a look at the Schwalbe Little Albert. The Albert was my all time favorite 26" tire - great grip all arounder. It'll be roughly same volume wise as the 2.2 MK. Another tire I'd look at, based on my familiarity with your terrain - is the Michelin XC AT, again, should be fairly easily sourced within Europe. Lastly - consider the new Geax offerings - another Euro friendly option.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    How about the conti race tire? Or a panaracer fire xc? What size of tire are you going for?

Did I catch a niner+?
    RK 2.2 is a good combo with a MK 2.4 up front.

pink

i don't give a shift
    Being in Switzerland, riding a rigid SS, I like MK 2.4 tires when it's wet or in the snow. The tire is too soft and has too much rolling resistance on dry trails. I loved it in the snow last winter. Since spring I've had a Resolution up front and a 2.2 Karma in the rear. I didn't think the short knobs on the Karma would provide much traction, but these tires proved to be awesome for the trail conditions this season. I'll run that combo again.

Members who have read this thread: 0