Good decision, bad decision?- Mtbr.com
    Bicycle Addict

New question here. Good decision, bad decision?

I had a 2010 Cannondale Flash 3 on layaway at the LBS. Today I walked in to make a payment and saw that they had just received some new 2011 bikes. A 2011 Scott Scale Elite immediately caught my eye. So I nicely asked the salesperson if there was any way I could take the money I had invested in the Cannondale and transfer it to the Scott. He said it was no problem and rung me up for the Scott. I think it may have been an impulse decision at the time but now that I look at it I think I came out with a better bike and I also saved $60. What do you guys think, good decision or bad decision?

Scott Scale Elite:
    Fork: Rock Shox Recon Gold TK 29 Solo Air
    Drivetrain: Shimano XT / RD-M773 SGS and Shimano SLX / FC-M660-10
    Crankset: Shimano FC-M552
    Shifters: Shimano SLX
    Brakes: Avid Elixir 3 180mm and 160mm
    Wheels: DT Swiss 485d 32H on Shimano hubs
    Tires: Schwalbe Rocket Ron 29 x 2.25

Cannondale Flash 3:
    Fork: Lefty 29'er w/DLR, 80mm
    Drivetrain: SRAM X-7
    Crankset: Shimano FC-M442-8,
    Shifters: SRAM X-5
    Brakes: Avid Juicy 3, 180/160mm
    Wheels: Maddux DC3.0 Disc 29
    Tires: Kenda Small Block Eight, 29 x 2.1" Wire
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Good decision, bad decision?-photo.jpg  

The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Not going to say if it was good or bad...that is subjective. Personally, I would have gone with the Flash. I prefer SRAM and like the left fork more than the recon. both nice bikes though.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    I would say this is about as close as the $60 dollar difference. I prefer Shimano so I say you picked the right one. Essentially the difference between the two bikes is a SRAM/Shimano argument. I would agree with Vecsus on the Lefty fork though but nothing wrong with the Recon though.
    If you want all the comforts of home, stay there.

Rides, Reviews, Races and Random Thoughts

Did I catch a niner+?
    Did you actually ride it? I would hope you at least took a spin around the parking lot to see if you even like the geo.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
    Did you actually ride it? I would hope you at least took a spin around the parking lot to see if you even like the geo.
    I did. I have owned a Scott before and like what they do. I'm sure the geometry is different on what I had in the past. The Cannondale I had on demo for 3 days. I liked it ok but I wasn't absolutely blown away by it.

Any thoughts on the wheel differences and tires? Also the Scale has a crazy cool color scheme, I'll have to post a pic soon.
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J3SSEB

Any thoughts on the wheel differences and tires? Also the Scale has a crazy cool color scheme, I'll have to post a pic soon.

Ride them and get what feels good. Tires can be changed and most likely will be sooner than later. A DEAL is not a DEAL if it feels like Sh*t to you when your riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The bike is for you, which one fits best? Which handles better for the way you ride?

For me the colour scheme is not a reason to chose a bike.

As for groupset etc, I believe both Sram and Shimano make components that to all intents and purposes work.

As such my opinion really should not bother you at all.

get down!
    I personally would have gone with the Cannondale, leftys are amazing and you can always upgrade components later on

Too late for all that though, ride your bike and learn to love it :-)
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    I'd say oeverall looking at the components the Scott has a slightly better spec (1 level up in most places over the C'dale), but as has been said, which ever one fits you the best and feels the best is the best one for you. Lefties are definitely strong forks, but depending on your environement it might rquire a lot of maintenance compared to the Recon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Flash all the way if you ask me. That fork is worth a bundle right there and I am sure if it isn't already lighter than the scott it could easily be later on down the road.
    But it seems like if you didn't like the flash over a 3 day period then it is probably not your cup of tea.
    My brain went from "you probably shouldn't say that" to WTF!

Bicycle Addict
    Thanks for the input guys. I guess when it came down to it the Scott felt and fit better. I value the Flash for what it is, a true XC bike, but for what I ride and race the geo on the Scott is more of what I need. I guess the components are pretty similar and it's only a matter of preference, but this being my first $1k + bike I'm excited either way. I'm coming off a SS Redline Monocog that cost $400 so this is a big step up. Is this still considered a entry level?
    Gonna have to disagree with you dancing james, I think the color has a lot to do with choosing a bike. But that's just my opinion.Good decision, bad decision?-photo.jpg
    Last edited by J3SSEB; 12-21-2010 at 07:47 PM.
    Bearded Women Racing

banned
    Not a Cannondale fan anymore but I would have gone for the Flash. The lefty is worth 3 times what a Recon is. The rest of the components are a wash.

mtbr member
    I did. I have owned a Scott before and like what they do. I'm sure the geometry is different on what I had in the past. The Cannondale I had on demo for 3 days. I liked it ok but I wasn't absolutely blown away by it.

I don't see it as right or wrong as they're both good bikes. I will say that statement alone tells me you made a [i]good decision.

(parody)

If I may ..... it's an "excitement statement". Compare it to the boring ol' "I banged my wife last night" against "I slammed YOUR dirty piece of meat wife AAAAALLLLLL night long sucka!". See? Excitement!

Catch my drift?
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    I don't see it as right or wrong as they're both good bikes. I will say that statement alone tells me you made a [i]good decision.

(parody)

If I may ..... it's an "excitement statement". Compare it to the boring ol' "I banged my wife last night" against "I slammed YOUR dirty piece of meat wife AAAAALLLLLL night long sucka!". See? Excitement!

Catch my drift?
    HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Yes, thank you! Finally somebody that gets it. To be honest I am more excited now than I was when I had the Cannondale on lay-away.
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Have to concur, if you don't like the look, colour etc of your bike you're not going to be as excited to ride it as if you did - same as AndrewTOs analogy, it ain't gona happen regularly if you ain't digging the covering. Loving the colour and effect on a particular bike kept me riding way longer than I should have, just because of that, even though the frame was a flexy noodle.

Thanks for the input guys. I guess when it came down to it the Scott felt and fit better. I value the Flash for what it is, a true XC bike, but for what I ride and race the geo on the Scott is more of what I need. I guess the components are pretty similar and it's only a matter of preference, but this being my first $1k + bike I'm excited either way. I'm coming off a SS Redline Monocog that cost $400 so this is a big step up. Is this still considered a entry level?
    Gonna have to disagree with you dancing james, I think the color has a lot to do with choosing a bike. But that's just my opinion.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	730 
Size:	285.3 KB 
ID:	586756
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Always Learning
    HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Yes, thank you! Finally somebody that gets it. To be honest I am more excited now than I was when I had the Cannondale on lay-away.
    Scott has finally brought a portion of their excellent XC racing build ways to the 2011 29"er lineup. You snagged the nice middle of the lineup bike and are set to go. Enjoy it and don't worry about which bike you picked over the other.

Decent looking lineup this year compared to last year's single Scale build offering.

Scale RC - 21 lbs.
    Scale Pro - 23 lbs.
    Scale Elite - 25 lbs.
    Scale Team - 27 lbs.
    Scale Comp - 28 lbs.

The number of builds being offered is still a far cry from the 26" wheel Scale line up where Scott offers 12 different build models ranging from 16 lbs. to 28 lbs.

on the Scott.

BB

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Scott has finally brought a portion of their excellent XC racing build ways to the 2011 29"er lineup. You snagged the nice middle of the lineup bike and are set to go. Enjoy it and don't worry about which bike you picked over the other.

Decent looking lineup this year compared to last year's single Scale build offering.

Scale RC - 21 lbs.
    Scale Pro - 23 lbs.
    Scale Elite - 25 lbs.
    Scale Team - 27 lbs.
    Scale Comp - 28 lbs.

The number of builds being offered is still a far cry from the 26" wheel Scale line up where Scott offers 12 different build models ranging from 16 lbs. to 28 lbs.

on the Scott.

BB
    Did you personally weigh those bikes yourself ? Used to be a Scott dealer and their advertised weights are not even close.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard
    Did you personally weigh those bikes yourself ? Used to be a Scott dealer and their advertised weights are not even close.
    Should be pretty close from the things I've been reading. Scott is a huge brand in Europe and I used to check out and lust after their 26" models which I could get my hands on at the LBS when I lived overseas. Scott does light right by outfitting their frames with the latest and greatest light bits - and the price tag reflects that as you work your way down the weight Scale.

Dirt Rag tested a size large stock 2011 Scale Pro which came in at 24.1 lbs. with pedals. Of course, size medium is usually what bike companies use when they list the weight. So, Scott says 23.79 lbs. on their website for the Pro in size medium. If the large is 24.1 - that seems right to me. I would assume that they are pretty consistent throughout their lineup when listing the weights. If not, I apologize for suggesting that Scott weights that they list on their website are anywhere close.

One can always do a spread sheet since all those component weights are known and there are no proprietary Scott bits on the bikes.

They are claiming the carbon frame used on the RC weighs "under 949g" or 2.09 lbs. And they are claiming the frame weighs sub 949g no matter what size. Bike Radar tested the carbon Scott 29er here. They weighed their test sled at 19.99 lbs. The next frame "down" in the line up is also carbon (the Pro), but weighs 100g more than the RC carbon frame.

I guess time will tell if their advertised weights are not even close, or the the test bikes for review that are out there were indeed close.

BB

Bicycle Addict
    BruceBrown: I'm coming off a fully rigid steel bike, so the Scott regardless of the actual weight is much lighter.

Went and picked up the Scotty today, I'm pumped!!!
    " width="549">
    " width="549">
    Bearded Women Racing

get down!
    good looking bike, enjoy
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I wonder how half of you dont crash more often!

On my bikes i am looking at what comes ahead, as such the fit is so much more important, good fit places everything in a more intuitive place.

I come to MTB's from a roadie background, in which case I'd rather ride a 500 bike that fitted me well over a poor fitting 1000 bike. MTB is a little bit different as component choice will play a bigger part but I still want to be able to ride for long periods on a regular basis.

Creating biomechanical injuries by using an ill fitting bike would really bother me. I'd rather be on an ugly bike riding it than admiring my pretty bike unable to ride it due to wear and tear issues caused by riding it.

mtbr member
    Huh? WTF u on about?
    Quote Originally Posted by dancing james
    I wonder how half of you dont crash more often!

On my bikes i am looking at what comes ahead, as such the fit is so much more important, good fit places everything in a more intuitive place.

I come to MTB's from a roadie background, in which case I'd rather ride a 500 bike that fitted me well over a poor fitting 1000 bike. MTB is a little bit different as component choice will play a bigger part but I still want to be able to ride for long periods on a regular basis.

Creating biomechanical injuries by using an ill fitting bike would really bother me. I'd rather be on an ugly bike riding it than admiring my pretty bike unable to ride it due to wear and tear issues caused by riding it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    If you are too busy looking at your pretty bike then you are probably not looking at the trail ahead.

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dancing james
    If you are too busy looking at your pretty bike then you are probably not looking at the trail ahead.

Thanks for the input guys. I guess when it came down to it the Scott felt and fit better. I value the Flash for what it is, a true XC bike, but for what I ride and race the geo on the Scott is more of what I need
    Bearded Women Racing

Members who have read this thread: 0