Good deal assuming it fits?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Good deal assuming it fits?

I need a dual suspension and can only afford about $1K at the moment. Itís in Facebook, not sure if I can pull actual photos but all looks great in the pics. He says it was last fully serviced in December and shocks are good. Sticking to paved and dirt trails, nothing too tricky.
    thanks, John

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/searchlistingdetail.aspx?id=3036335

Pivot Mach 429
    XTR Front and Rear
    Stanís no tubes
    Chris King hubs
    Hope brakes
    Fox fork and shock

$1K

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Some random observations.

First, why do you "need" a full suspension bike for paved trails? Suspension actually tends to be a drawback there.

It's a nice bike new, if somewhat outdated in various ways. The biggest issue is that it's 10 years old, and that could spell end of life for a lot of OEM components, even if well maintained. And even if not ridden much. I think the Chris King hubs might be an indication that it was "upgraded" or at least things replaced, as well as possibly being well-maintained.

If you could verify that it is in good shape, as by a mechanic, or the mechanic who allegedly last serviced it, it might be a good deal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Iíll ride trails about 75% of the time, paved getting to/from. Was told here and on other boards to go full due to my being older; easier on the back. FWIW, the bike was built in 2014 on the 2010 frame but I suppose he could have used NOS parts. Guess I should keep looking....dang.

mtbr member
    How hard do you ride? You mentioned being "older", does that equal more mellow on the trails i.e. blues/greens? If you like the bike after test riding it I'd say go for it. "Older" parts aren't the end of the world. Many companies still make parts for the older bikes, you just have to search a touch harder for them.

On the other hand, if you like very advanced trails, you may benefit from something else, but it is still a good bike.
    Silly bike things happening.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Not hard, certainly not at first anyway. Mainly, I want to spend time with my 14 year old son who has a mountain bike and wants to ride. Lots of trails around me here in Northwest Arkansas and I want to take advantage of that.
    Iím 56 but am very fit and big, weighing anywhere between 205-230 depending on time of year and workout plan; shooting for 250 this winter . Sorry, might be too much info but thought the weight might be a factor in decision making.
    Iíll not be dropping 6í or anything and likely not farther than 15 miles or so. I have a Salsa Marrakesh for the pavement.

mtbr member
    If your a size Small, this Marin Rift Zone is worth it for $259 more.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod186792
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Need at least a Medium, preferably a Large. But thanks, thatís a nice bike and Iíll expand my search.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by clubmanager View Post
    Iíll ride trails about 75% of the time, paved getting to/from. Was told here and on other boards to go full due to my being older; easier on the back. FWIW, the bike was built in 2014 on the 2010 frame but I suppose he could have used NOS parts. Guess I should keep looking....dang.
    Fair enough, I can certainly relate to that. The way you structured the sentence made it seem like mostly paved trails.

And the 2014 build makes some sense, but again would be nice to verify with his mechanic. If you can do that, it's probably a deal.

When I said "older" parts, I was mostly thinking of suspension parts, fork and shock, and yes, that's not the end of the world, especially if you are willing to hunt down parts yourself and possibly install yourself. But if it turns out that they need replacement, they are a couple of big ticket items.

Brakes and derailleurs are probably OK and a bit less money if they need replacement.

If the suspension parts are in good shape and not totally obsolescent, that is probably a good deal. It was a really nice bike new.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    If you can get him down to $700, go buy it and enjoy!

I need a dual suspension and can only afford about $1K at the moment. Itís in Facebook, not sure if I can pull actual photos but all looks great in the pics. He says it was last fully serviced in December and shocks are good. Sticking to paved and dirt trails, nothing too tricky.
    thanks, John

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/searchlistingdetail.aspx?id=3036335

Pivot Mach 429
    XTR Front and Rear
    Stanís no tubes
    Chris King hubs
    Hope brakes
    Fox fork and shock

$1K

Everything about this screams out that something is wrong with it, tread very carefully.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

mtbr member
    ^^^??? Everything in this case comprises a list of parts and a price. What in there do you find alarming?

The only thing that stands out to me is the price seems high, even if in great shape.

As far as old obsolete parts goes, yeah, you may not be able to get a new 9 speed XTR derailleur, but you'll always be able to get a 9 speed derailleur that will work....assuming it's 9 speed for the purpose of discussion.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Disregard. Guy sold it. Honestly, Iíll probably just got to the LBS. As an old country lawyer told me once Ďcheap can be expensiveí. Not just money, but time and pain in the ass factors as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Disregard. Guy sold it. Honestly, Iíll probably just got to the LBS. As an old country lawyer told me once Ďcheap can be expensiveí. Not just money, but time and pain in the ass factors as well.
    Certainly can be, yes. Doesn't sound like you are a noob, but there's a lot going on with an FS bike that's subject to wear, maintenance, and obsolescence, and a bad fork can cost you $500+ easily, and a bad shock another $300+, so when a bike is ostensibly 10 years old, you really have to caveat emptor unless you have a garage full of parts to build it back up with and understand what you're getting/paying for.

A few weeks ago, you could have scored a Rift Zone at CRC for that price in your size. Something else will come along, though.