Going to 29in, but which would you pick... need some help!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Idea! Going to 29in, but which would you pick... need some help!

Hello, I'm a first time poster, been seeing some posts asking for help and i hope some of you can help me out to pick my new ride...

I'm looking at the Fisher Paragon 2010 (aluminum) and Jamis Dakota D29 Pro (carbon), i like the Fisher for the components it offers, but my LBS (friend) says he can drop the price on the Jamis quite a bit... which is making me think twice before i spend my hard earned bucks...

Any suggestions are welcomed, even from other brands (GT, NINER-with build kit, etc)... I do see that the two I mention have pretty good reviews...

Thanks!

Apr 2007
    I'd test ride the GF first. Some like the geometry, others don't. I love it. Never ridden a Jamis, so I don't know about them.

The Vandal strikes again
    Oct 2005
    Doesn't matter if a bike is on sale. If it doesn't fit you and doesn't feel good to ride, it's a waste of money. Buy the one that puts a bigger smile on your face during a test ride. Note: Fisher's geometry is dialed.
    '99 Safari

mtbr member
    I really agree with you on this one, now, I'm 6 ft tall and about 236 lbs, any issues with me riding a carbon fiber frame?

Thanks for the replies, at all helps...

The Vandal strikes again
    Oct 2005
    The Jamis looks like a pretty good parts spec. Unless Jamis has a rider weight limit on the bike (some manufacturers put a 185 lb limit on race bikes), there is no problem. Carbon is fantastically strong stuff. With any frame, you just want to be sure to have your seatpost extend far enough into the frame such that the bottom of the post is inserted deeper than the bottom of the top tube/seat tube junction. On a carbon frame, it's also good to have a chain suck protector plate on the chainstay just behind the chainrings. A good example is here: http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/mode...ly-ss-frameset
    '99 Safari

XC Andy
    Jan 2007
    I would ride a KONA Scandium King Kahuna. It has the durability for your weight. Geometry is dialed and engineering is dead on.

mtbr member
    I couldn't be happier with my Paragon but Jamis does make some nice bikes. As was stated before though...pick the bike that works best for you. Even if you can't test ride the Paragon you may want to see if they can get you on a Rig or Xcal so you can get a flavor for the handling.
    Signature

no fat chicks
    check with your local motobecane/windsor dealer
    their **** is off the hook
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed racer 30-34 age group

Jacob 34:19
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketoridebikes
    ^^IGNORE^^

OP - Welcome to the forums. Couple of nice choices you've got there. You can always upgrade components as they wear / break. Test ride each if possible and choose the bike that fits and handles best. I haven't ridden a Jamis in many years but the Fishers I test rode last year were fantastic.

The Niner geo tends to work really well for me. You might look at the EMD with their build kit. Check around and see if there's any Niner dealers in your area that has one built up to try. That should come in around the same price point.

Good luck.

Apr 2007
    Yet, another BD shill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by awphoto
    I would ride a KONA Scandium King Kahuna. It has the durability for your weight. Geometry is dialed and engineering is dead on.
    Do you happen to know what is the price of this King Kahuna? it's dead on noce!!!

http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=kingkahuna

You know, for kids
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketoridebikes

local motobecane/windsor dealer!!!!!!

I think that's the funniest thing I've ever read on the internets

808+909 = Party Good Time
    Quote Originally Posted by awphoto
    +1 to this. I ride the Big Kahuna and the geometry is unbelievable... not to mention tough as nails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mz67fr
    I really agree with you on this one, now, I'm 6 ft tall and about 236 lbs, any issues with me riding a carbon fiber frame?

Thanks for the replies, at all helps...
    I'm not a big fan of CF for a MTB. Road, sure. I'd rather be way out in the woods with something that dents rather than shatters (admittedly, it does take a lot to shatter CF, but still). And yes, I can afford CF if I choose.

That said, I looked at the Fishers, Konas, Speciailzed (09s... this year's are better, supposedly), Felt and Niner. I liked the Felt and Niner best and would up with the Felt Nine Race. It was quicker and more comfortable for me than the rest, with Niner a close second.

The best advice on here is to try a bunch and see what feels best to you; don't limit yourself to your friend's shop because, as noted, it doesn't matter what price you get if it doesn't make you want to ride it!

XC Andy
    Jan 2007

2799 is full retail

Quote Originally Posted by mz67fr
    Do you happen to know what is the price of this King Kahuna? it's dead on noce!!!

http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=kingkahuna
    From the Kona site it is 2799 full retail, however, I would think that your local bike shop could throw you a bone to get your business this early in the season. They should be shipping to dealers any day. I am waiting for my KK 2010 frame to arrive and expect it any week. The KK is a bike your will thrilled with, it is a bike you will have fun ripping other peoples legs off with on the climbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I owned a Jamis F/S 26" a while back- nice bike, but nothing fancy. They seem to be able to deliver a lot of bike for less $$$. Hard to go wrong with a Fisher unless it doesn't fit you due to the G2 geometry. Niner makes nice stuff as well, but I avoided it like the plague when I found out it only has a 2 year warranty. You might hear stories of broken Fisher frames (and every other manufacturer), but having a lifetime frame warranty is worth more than you think. Buy what rides the best within your budget (maybe hold back a little for upgrades?), but make sure you have good dealer and manufacturer backing.

mtbr member
    Wow, thanks to all for the advice, i really appreciate it. I will have to schedule a few rides with the dealers to find what better suites me best, I do agree though that i rather buy Al or Steel since i have not seen major issues with my current one. I saw the Felt bikes, and man i was like a little kid in a toy store.

Keep the suggestions coming this really broadens my view of potential buys...

THANKS!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0