Goin' 29 all the time- Mtbr.com
    B2

Goin' 29 all the time

Well I put my S-works Epic race bike up for sale. I love how light the bike is, but I just hate ridding the 26" wheels. The weight weenie in me thinks its crazy to switch to a heavier race bike, a pound or two, or 3. Its just that I feel more confident in the more techie stuff on the big wheels. I have a Spot Brand 29 single speed that became my go to bike last season. I even raced it a few times. Its so much more fun to ride! I even sold my Titus moto lite last sept. because I just didnt ride it. I'm looking for a race bike that is fun on the trail.
    So, I'm leaning tward buying the new S-works Epic 29, but I'm having a hard time justifying the cost. I'm selling my 26er at less than half of the retail price after two seasons, ouch.
    I'm also looking at the Tall Boy, and the Superfly 29.
    Any thoughts,or comments?
    Also here is the link to my Epic if anyone cares to see,

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...uct=59244&cat=

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Goin' 29 all the time-p1050002.jpg  

Last edited by b2b2; 01-06-2011 at 01:36 PM.
    "Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished."...Dean Koontz

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I've sold off all my 26'ers. Now riding a Moto Fantom 29er with all XTR (mostly my winter\backup bike and a Tallboy XTR... Love the 29's don't miss the 26's much at all.
    The tallboy is the most fun and fast ride I have ever had (been in the mtb game for quite some time). I have it built up my tallboy relatively light but reliable. Will do some endurance racing and Xterra on it this summer.
    FWIW..
    Most people will say get the specialized if you want a race bike that is also a good trail bike or get the Tallboy if you want a great trailbike that you can also race.

Now broadcasting from CO
    I got rid of my 26ers about 3 years ago, and have been riding 29er HT's ever since. My Intense Spider was somewhere around 25lbs, although I never actually weighed. Since then I've ridden a Caffine 29er (22lbs) and a Flash 29er (20.5lbs), so I've gone to the big wheels and gotten lighter. This year I'll be on a Epic 29er, which I'm hoping to get around 23.5-24lbs. It's not an S-works, so I can't hope to get down to the 21.5lb magic weight that they are.

These days, the argument that 29ers are "too heavy and accelerate slowly because of their heavy wheels" is BS. Wheels are pretty much as light and even if you feel the "slower acceleration" at first, you'll get stronger and it won't matter anymore.

Wow... that was longer-winded than I thought it was going to be...

Basically, do it and don't look back. I have no regrets.
    Brought to you by rocks.

Apr 2007
    Sold my last 26" bike back in 2008. (I still have a beater for in-town duties). I thought I'd only be a 29er guy, but I sometimes miss that Spec FSR. I wish I'd never sold it. I'm actually looking to buy a HT/FS 26" just to keep in the garage, even if it doesn't get a lot of riding time. Variety is good.

ballbuster

I did the same

Quote Originally Posted by b2b2
    Well I put my S-works Epic race bike up for sale. I love how light the bike is, but I just hate ridding the 26" wheels. The weight weenie in me thinks its crazy to switch to a heavier race bike, a pound or two, or 3. Its just that I feel more confident in the more techie stuff on the big wheels. I have a Spot Brand 29 single speed that became my go to bike last season. I even raced it a few times. Its so much more fun to ride! I even sold my Titus moto lite last sept. because I just didnt ride it. I'm looking for a race bike that is fun on the trail.
    So, I'm leaning tward buying the new S-works Epic 29, but I'm having a hard time justifying the cost. I'm selling my 26er at less than half of the retail price after two seasons, ouch.
    I'm also looking at the Tall Boy, and the Superfly 29.
    Any thoughts,or comments?
    Also here is the link to my Epic if anyone cares to see,

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...uct=59244&cat=

Thanks
    The only 26er bike I have left is my original modern mountain bike converted to city bike... a Giant Yukon I bought back in 2000 with some dotcom bonus money. Remember those days? I'm thinking it's about time to kick the old girl to the curb, and hang panniers and racks on my 29er hardtail.

mtbr member
    Well I've still got a couple 26ers around, ones a 18"/19"/L I think that I keep around as a loaner and the other is my trusty old Trance, which if I ever build it up again will be a 69er for sure. Other than that it's all 29ers for me, been that way since I swung a leg over my first 29er 3+ years ago.

Oh and always remember, you're faster on what you're most comfortable/confident on
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Had two 26" bikes about 15 months ago and today I have three 29ers. I bought my first 29er second hand last fall as a winter beater. It was love at first ride and after my second ride I made the decision to sell both of my 26" bikes.
    If you want all the comforts of home, stay there.

Rides, Reviews, Races and Random Thoughts

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Same here. 26ers just feel odd now.

May contain nuts
    These sort of threads always make me wonder about the riders more than the bikes.

Do you guys go looking for speed, rock gardens, fun size drops, doubles, step-ups etc? Or is it strictly wheels on ground and good behaviour?

The reason i ask is the 4" FS 29ers I've ridden don't give me the same incentives as my 6" 26, and you guys seem to imply they do for you?

Caveat: I haven't ridden a long travel 29er with a decent head angle, but I'm not sure that I want to as they all seem to be 35lb or more and I don't want that "draggin a dead hooker feeling"...

Gold Member
    Haggis, I wonder the same thing at times. I haven't had a chance to ride a LT 29" bike, more to the point over the last year I started to downhill and ended up buying another 26" bike to fulfill my need for a strong "heavy-duty XC/FR" bike.

I looked at a few 29" bikes, but none seemed to be as heavy-duty (or even as close) as the SC Nomad or like bikes.
    Plus, my Nomad coming in @ 32lbs in 29" form would certainly be closer to 35-36lbs in a like build.
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    S-Works DEMO
    Crux
    BMC SLR01
    LOOK675

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Hmm

I ride both but am not sure what I like better. I ride both. Why choose?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    These sort of threads always make me wonder about the riders more than the bikes.

Do you guys go looking for speed, rock gardens, fun size drops, doubles, step-ups etc? Or is it strictly wheels on ground and good behaviour?

The reason i ask is the 4" FS 29ers I've ridden don't give me the same incentives as my 6" 26, and you guys seem to imply they do for you?

Caveat: I haven't ridden a long travel 29er with a decent head angle, but I'm not sure that I want to as they all seem to be 35lb or more and I don't want that "draggin a dead hooker feeling"...
    I think I agree with this...tho, I have noticed a huge difference when riding a ~5" FS29 with slacker angles. I think the biggest gripe I could make would be regarding front suspension for 29ers...we're still a LONG ways from having a direct comparison to the 26" selections.

The closest comparison I can make is my 2008 Turner RFX (~160mm Fr & Rr-26") to my current 2011 Sultan (140mm front/120mm rear; ~68.5* HTA). The builds are fairly comparable (save the forks by a tad), and I feel as confident in the techy stuff on the Sultan as I ever did on the RFX...the Sultan is about a pound lighter, and definitely climbs better. I would say descending prowess is a wash.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I love my 29er fully rigid bike. It has tight geometry and just rails.
    I have had a love/hate relationship with trying longer travel full suspension 29ers (not that there are many options). The fork options are pitiful, tire choices are minimal, the geometry of most of the bikes is just not there for me.
    But we will see what the future holds. Maybe 6" travel 29ers will become commonplace in the future, but right now things are moving too slowly for me, and I'm tired of flexy forks and minimal travel.

Members who have read this thread: 0