giant xtc 29 v on one scandal- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

giant xtc 29 v on one scandal

my bike shop is offering me the new xtc 29 2011 frame for $ 530 ( reg $ 599) but I know that Unreal cycle sales the 2010 scandal for $ 355 . Wich one is better ?
    I know the xtc has tapered HT but that it would cost me more than $ 100 dollars!
    Is it worth it? Is the giant frame better as far as material or quality?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I don't know about the scandal but speaking from personal experience,I own an XTC 29er1,can tell that the XTC 29er frame is very light and very rigid. It also has a tapered headtube.

Although for money I wonder if you're better off just buying a 2010 XTC 29er2 for under $1K?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    If you were ever contemplating running SS, the Scandal will be a much easier conversion. The Giant is a little lighter, and has a more modern look to it- I almost bought an XTC 1 when they came out, but it just seemed "soul-less" to me. With the tapered head tube, it will probably cost you more to do the build up just because the forks are a little more expensive.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If you were ever contemplating running SS, the Scandal will be a much easier conversion
    All current Scandals are vertical dropouts so no ss - new batch with 'swap-outs' not due to spring I don't think?
    I'm interested in both frames - keep thoughts coming!

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have the first gen Scandal and it is bullet proof. A little heavy if you race a lot. I would go for the Giant for racing because weight and fork options.
    I have a Jet coming my way!!!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Clink
    All current Scandals are vertical dropouts so no ss - new batch with 'swap-outs' not due to spring I don't think?
    I'm interested in both frames - keep thoughts coming!
    The Scandal at Unreal is a slot dropout. SS ready.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Can't comment on the Scandal but the XTC is a bomber frame. I don't have that much time on mine so far but it is by far and away the best (for me) alu framed 29er I have ridden since I started riding 29ers 5 years ago.

The headtube mated to the qr thru axle fox is an absolutely beastly rigid front end. It climbs like a goat compared to my previous fisher and the power just seems to always be getting put straight to the wheel.

BTW my 2011 XTC 29er 1 weighed in stock at 26.1lbs with reflectors and flat pedals. So for a lightweight race rocket it wouldn't be too hard to build up a sick light bike.

Short-Change-Hero
    Dont forget to look at the geometries of the two frames. Slight differences can really make a big difference in how you ride it. While I have heard nothing but great stuff about both bikes it really will come down to what you want. With the Scandal you can probably save yourself about $100+ which you then can lend to a better wheelset/fork/etc. With the Giant you get a "known" brand with a good reputation, hydroformed tubing, tapered headtube, etc. But with some of those "things" you end up paying more.

Most importantly it comes down to how the bike feels for you and what your intentions are. With a Giant dealer near you, go ride the XTC and if you fall in love with it then take her home.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I own a Scandal and raced it all season long bombproof... love it!!!
    I've got the one with the vertical dropouts/ black.
    If you like riding, not polishing this is the frame you want!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a Scandal and I love it. The geometry is very nice and the frame is very compliant. My frame came in at 3.25 pounds. I'd say go with the Scandal and use the extra money on a wheelset or fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have owned both the Scandal and currently ride the 2011 XTC. I would vote XTC hands down. The scandal was a good bike but the XTC is lighter, stiffer and what seems like small geometry differences on paper really make the XTC feel great. I have an Air 9 as well and I like it but on the XTC I feel in command like no 29er I have ever ridden before. Much of this is personal preference as far as geometry goes but lighter and stiffer for sure.

awesome
    when you guys say the XTC is lighter, are you referring to the frame? what's the exact difference?

also, the scandal has a lot of tire clearance, is the XTC comparable?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    My Scandal(16") 1570g...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yes I am referring to just the frame. My large XTC weighed 3.8lbs. I dont have an exact weight on the Scandal but I dont recall it being that light. Tire clearance is good on the XTC, I am running a Resolution 2.3 with a 28mm wide rim and there is good clearance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Here it is. 25.8lbs with all-mountain handlebar. Velocity blunt on Hope wheels. Full x9 2x10 and 120mm Fox. Size large.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    How do you like 120 mm front fork and does the bike ride better than 100mm fork?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I like the 120mm fork on this frame but it is a G2 offset fork. I dont know that I would recommend 120mm with normal offset. It is a small difference but it would change it for the negative I think. It would still be plenty rideable I think if your really hard up for 120mm. I did demo the bike with the 100mm fork and it felt great as well. If I was about to spend new fork type money I would go 100mm, 120mm with G2 offset or get more input from someone who has ridden this frame with 120mm and regular offset fork. I wouldn't throw my money at an unknown like that.

Members who have read this thread: 0