Giant Trance x 29 er lower gearing options?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Giant Trance x 29 er lower gearing options?

I recently test rode the trance 29er at a Giant demo event.. Also attending was a shimano rep. At the conclusion of my demo I commented that I would have liked a 22 tooth front small ring and the shimano rep told me it would not work with that set up. There must be a good way to get a lower granny. Heck, I think some specialized bikes come with 2x10 set ups with a stock shimano 22 tooth front. What gives?

kabouterclan member
    Jun 2006
    assuming you're talking about a Shimano triple crankset: While Smimano does not endorse it, you can swap the standard 10 speed 24 for a 9 speed 22 ring. You might need sime minor adjusting of the FD, but that's all.
    Dunno about Shimano dedicated double cranksets though.
    Sent from my HAL 9000

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ishpeming View Post
    I recently test rode the trance 29er at a Giant demo event.. Also attending was a shimano rep. At the conclusion of my demo I commented that I would have liked a 22 tooth front small ring and the shimano rep told me it would not work with that set up. There must be a good way to get a lower granny. Heck, I think some specialized bikes come with 2x10 set ups with a stock shimano 22 tooth front. What gives?
    I'm curious about that, too. I have a TX 29er 2, and while I haven't felt the need for a lower granny yet, I'd still like to have that option. Wonder if the guy you were talking to just meant going to a 22t would be too much of a jump with the 38t big ring. I looked at a Norco Shinobi that had the same crankset (SRAM S-1000) as my TX 29er and it had a 22/36.

mtbr member
    I think this would be the main thing about using a 22t granny ring, most I've ever used is a 14t gap between ring sizes and in general it's the most I've seen. Not saying it's not possible, but your shifting most likely wouldn't be nearly as crisp and smooth. Also not sure of the design these days, but the lower pivots/rockers could get rub on the smaller ring. Tried SSing a rip9 once when I ripped the RD off and it wouldn't work, chain kept getting knocked off by the lower pivots upon compression.

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    I'm curious about that, too. I have a TX 29er 2, and while I haven't felt the need for a lower granny yet, I'd still like to have that option. Wonder if the guy you were talking to just meant going to a 22t would be too much of a jump with the 38t big ring. I looked at a Norco Shinobi that had the same crankset (SRAM S-1000) as my TX 29er and it had a 22/36.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have an Anthem X 29er that I put a 22 tooth ring on with the 36 tooth ring. So far it has worked great, but the shifting is a little more sluggish. The 22 tooth came off a Shimano 9 speed crank.