Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    5

    Giant Trance 2 29er v Trek Fuel Ex 8 29er (2019 alloy models)

    Hi All,

    Looking at a new bike purchase for all round use, XC and trail riding, coming from a Giant Anthem X2 2010 which has served me well over the years but would like something that can handle more chunk.

    Narrowed this down to Giant Trance 2 29er or Trek Fuel Ex 8 both 2019 models, some good New Year deals to be had. The Trek has the better spec with Sram GX and is around £200 more expensive.

    Had a quick blast on the Trance 2 29er and feels good, waiting for a Fuel Ex to arrive in my size.

    I will go with which fits best but any opinions?

    Cheers

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    12,374
    Demoing on trail is your best info source.
    I'd also look at this bike.
    https://www.evanscycles.com/norco-si...-bike-EV306562
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89cCAOA98Tw

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Curveball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,675
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Demoing on trail is your best info source.
    I'd also look at this bike.
    https://www.evanscycles.com/norco-si...-bike-EV306562
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89cCAOA98Tw
    That's a great suggestion!
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    794
    How it feels to you is all that matters. Seems like you already know that and are demoing each.

    But here's my take anyway. We had Giant in town for a demo day that I went to. Everyone wanted on the Trance 29. Seems like the perfect bike for our trails. I had quite the wait to get on one, but finally did. It was the green carbon one. Not sure what model that is. It felt plush as soon as I got on it. I figured everyone is correct when they say this thing feels like it has more travel than it does. That whent away when I got on the trails, though. On the trails, other felt like a short travel bike to me. Nothing about the bike wowed me at all. It was to the point that I thought I must be missing something. I actually would like to ride it again to see what everyone else is seeing. I was very unimpressed. I gotta be missing something.

    As I was leaving the park, I drove deeper into the parking lot then I have before. I had no idea the roads went so deep into the park. When I got to the very back, there was a Trek tent set up by the local Trek shop. They were doing a demo. Score! I got to demo an orange carbon Fuel EX 29er. Rode the exact same trails. I thought it was great. Felt great on the ups and the downs. Probably only thing I didn't like was the loud hub. Really fun bike. I liked it way more than the Trance. Again, I feel like maybe I need to ride the Trance again because I just don't get all the hype.

    Also got to ride a Trek Ebike. My first time on an Ebike. It was a fun experience.

    Not long before this Rocky Mountain was at the same park on a Saturday, and then Kona on Sunday. I missed the Pivot day. I'm still mad about that one. On those days I got to ride the Instinct, Thunderbolt BC, Process 153 29, and Satori. Loved the Instinct. The Thunderbolt surprisingly did nothing for me. Loved the Process. Didn't like the Satori at all. These where all ridden on the exact same trails.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    5
    Thanks for the feedback. Could be a long wait before I get my hands on the Trek to try out, will see how that develops. Looking at the geo numbers and with a banked ride on the Giant already, have a feeling the Trek is not going to be the best fit of the two bikes. Massive jump in price from the Trance 2 alloy to the Trance 1 alloy, GX spec would have been nice at a £2k price point.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    190
    I have the 2018 Fuel Ex8. I never had a chance to try the Giant, but I have no regrets about buying the Trek.

  7. #7
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Doktor19 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Could be a long wait before I get my hands on the Trek to try out, will see how that develops. Looking at the geo numbers and with a banked ride on the Giant already, have a feeling the Trek is not going to be the best fit of the two bikes. Massive jump in price from the Trance 2 alloy to the Trance 1 alloy, GX spec would have been nice at a £2k price point.
    I feel your pain, but have to say, at least you can get the 1 spec in AL. In the US we only have the 2 spec in al, if you want gx you have to go carbon.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    5
    Tried the Trek Fuel Ex today, stunning looking bike, wins the beauty contest over the Giant. But the sizing is horrible for me, far too short cockpit and standover clearance is an issue, which some may not be concerned about but it's just not for me.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    5
    Just seen this review on the Trance 29 2. Any owners have any feedback on using this model? Concerns on the review around wheel flex and rear suspsension especially over more tech terrain.

    https://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/c...-review-52378/

  10. #10
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Doktor19 View Post
    Just seen this review on the Trance 29 2. Any owners have any feedback on using this model? Concerns on the review around wheel flex and rear suspsension especially over more tech terrain.

    https://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/c...-review-52378/
    I haven't ridden the AL model, so I can't really give feedback on it. However, most of the folks I know on the AL bike have replaced the wheels because A) those are heavy and B) those are "too narrow". I've never heard flex come up, but if you don't like the width or the weight, and you're going to replace them like everyone else I know on that bike, it won't matter. As far as getting overwhelmed in tech, I think it's important to be realistic. The reality of this bike is, no matter who claims what about the suspension design and how well it does anything, it's still 115mm of travel, not 120, not 130, not 160. I think if you compare this bike to other bikes with 120 or less, it will compare favorably in tech, if you look at what longer travel bikes are doing, this bike is going to start to look undergunned.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    5
    Yeah the 115mm rear travel won't compare to say the Trance 27.5 which will be able to handle the bigger hits.

    For me I'm looking for a bike that can do a bit of everything, trails on the doorstep are not over technical but smooth and it needs to climb, when I do venture to those type of techy trails it needs to be there. Coming from an old Anthem X 2010 model with 100mm front and rear on 26inch wheels I'm sure it will monster this bike in the more challenging terrain.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    641
    I rode a Large Trance 29er 2 and my 21.5" 2018 Fuel Ex8 back to back late last year.

    The Trance was a little small for me but other than that felt great. I couldn't really pick the difference in rear travel and the slightly slacker HTA and shorter fork offset felt different but not better or worse than the "normal" fork on my Trek.


    I prefer the look of the Giant and lack of proprietary bullshit (re:aktiv and knock block) but would probably buy the Trek again for the better wheels and GX vs NX drivetrain.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: targnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,739
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    How it feels to you is all that matters. Seems like you already know that and are demoing each.

    But here's my take anyway. We had Giant in town for a demo day that I went to. Everyone wanted on the Trance 29. Seems like the perfect bike for our trails. I had quite the wait to get on one, but finally did. It was the green carbon one. Not sure what model that is. It felt plush as soon as I got on it. I figured everyone is correct when they say this thing feels like it has more travel than it does. That whent away when I got on the trails, though. On the trails, other felt like a short travel bike to me. Nothing about the bike wowed me at all. It was to the point that I thought I must be missing something. I actually would like to ride it again to see what everyone else is seeing. I was very unimpressed. I gotta be missing something.

    As I was leaving the park, I drove deeper into the parking lot then I have before. I had no idea the roads went so deep into the park. When I got to the very back, there was a Trek tent set up by the local Trek shop. They were doing a demo. Score! I got to demo an orange carbon Fuel EX 29er. Rode the exact same trails. I thought it was great. Felt great on the ups and the downs. Probably only thing I didn't like was the loud hub. Really fun bike. I liked it way more than the Trance. Again, I feel like maybe I need to ride the Trance again because I just don't get all the hype.

    Also got to ride a Trek Ebike. My first time on an Ebike. It was a fun experience.

    Not long before this Rocky Mountain was at the same park on a Saturday, and then Kona on Sunday. I missed the Pivot day. I'm still mad about that one. On those days I got to ride the Instinct, Thunderbolt BC, Process 153 29, and Satori. Loved the Instinct. The Thunderbolt surprisingly did nothing for me. Loved the Process. Didn't like the Satori at all. These where all ridden on the exact same trails.
    I smell a Trek employee/salesperson ^^

    My $0.02

    Find what's comfortable & ride it like ya stole it.

    Trek don't fit me... too short on top + mid-range alu ones are bloody heavy & get Rhythm forks >.<

    Giant make slightly better fitting bikes imo... but their rear triangle legal issues keep STA too slack for my liking. More comfortable at going downhill though.

    'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    794
    Yeah, targnik. I'm a Trek employee. That's why I keep asking about your Siskiu in your Polygon thread. I hope riding is better than your intuition.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 3 Weeks Ago, 06:43 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-02-2018, 03:25 PM
  3. 2018 Altitude Alloy vs 2019 Stumpjumper Comp Alloy
    By Rookie Canuck in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-29-2018, 05:18 AM
  4. 2018 Altitude Alloy vs 2019 Stumpjumper Comp Alloy
    By Rookie Canuck in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2018, 03:40 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-25-2018, 11:54 AM

Members who have read this thread: 119

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.