Sep 2010

Giant Anthem x 29er with 120mm fork ?

Hello,

Do someone using this setup ?

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have the same question

I am pretty well set on buying an Anthem x29er-1, but I think I would prefer 120mm not just for travel but also front end rise.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I've run 120mm on a few bikes designed for 100mm forks and it has never been anything but great Shouldn't be a problem on the Anthem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I don't imagine it's an issue in this case, but in some cases if you are running a bigger fork than they specifically recommend, you can void your warranty. I would double check to make sure that a 120 mm is ok with the manufacturer. For instance, Santa Cruz explicitly states you can run a 120 mm or even 140 mm front fork on the Tallboy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've been running a Reba UTurn on my Anthem X29 and it's been working great. Don't notice much handling difference in the twisties between 100 or 120, but sure is nicer on the downhills at 120.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Check out the Giant forum. There are a couple of topics about this and a few owners' bikes in the Gallery topics with 120mm forks. All positive comments by the way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Shorten the stem to 80mm then run the 120 front fork. The Anthem will handle fantastic.
    My stock 2012 float runs great with the travel limiter pin inside set at 120. It comes stock at 100mm. I played around with different length stems. The 80mm is spot on in my opinion.

mtbr member
    My Anthem 29 is setup currently at 100mm.

I'm considering bumping the travel up to 110mm instead of 120mm.

Would that be a good compromise for climbing and descending?

I'm concerned bumping up to 120mm might slow down the steering too much.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Maybe a fork with a little more offset could counteract that a bit (if you're going to be using a different fork). The Anthem is not a quick steering bike already because of the long-ish chainstays, but those chainstays are also what helps the stability too. I tried a 120mm travel fork on the Anthem X 29er, and it was OK, but nothing to get all worked up about. A touch slower steering, and a touch plusher. Got to give a little to get a little here. You can run your fork a little deeper into the sag, and I would get the stem height back down where it was if possible to keep your weight over the front wheel while cornering. When I was dialing in the Anthem, this was important to me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Give the 80mm stem a go while running the 120 up front. I was very surprised at how smooth, quick the carving was. A transformation. You can always shim down from the 120 to customize the handling. I loved the handling of 115mm travel and a 100mm stem. Stack nylon washers on the shaft to get the right reduction of travel. Just split one half of the washer, then snap it on the shaft. make sure the OD is no larger than the stock Fox travel limiter ring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo R View Post
    Give the 80mm stem a go while running the 120 up front. I was very surprised at how smooth, quick the carving was. A transformation. You can always shim down from the 120 to customize the handling. I loved the handling of 115mm travel and a 100mm stem. Stack nylon washers on the shaft to get the right reduction of travel. Just split one half of the washer, then snap it on the shaft. make sure the OD is no larger than the stock Fox travel limiter ring.
    My fork is a 2013 Sid. Only way to change travel is replace the air spring assembly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Shorten the stem to 80mm then run the 120 front fork. The Anthem will handle fantastic.
    My stock 2012 float runs great with the travel limiter pin inside set at 120. It comes stock at 100mm. I played around with different length stems. The 80mm is spot on in my opinion.
    Can you please confirm that you had a stock Fox 2012 Evo 100 mm fork and you were able to extend it to 120 mm? I have a 2012 Anthem X 29er 1 with that fork: Anthem X 29er 1 (2012) | Giant Bicycles | United States

Rocks belong
    Do it.

My AX29 was set up with 100 and 120. Much, much preferred with 120. Climbs the sustained CO Front Range 2000ft climbs just fine.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    yes, I had the same fork. Mine came set at 100mm, The air side has a travel limiter ring, held in position in factory drilled holes in the main shaft. There are two hole settings on my stock fork. one at 100mm and one at 120. partially push out the keeper pin until the ring slides on the shaft. Re locate the ring at the 120 position and press the pin back in making sure it is centered within the black limiter ring. Thats it.
    I ride a dual position Rock shox pike 120-150 now and it is by far superior to the fox oem fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    yes, I had the same fork. Mine came set at 100mm, The air side has a travel limiter ring, held in position in factory drilled holes in the main shaft. There are two hole settings on my stock fork. one at 100mm and one at 120. partially push out the keeper pin until the ring slides on the shaft. Re locate the ring at the 120 position and press the pin back in making sure it is centered within the black limiter ring. Thats it.
    I ride a dual position Rock shox pike 120-150 now and it is by far superior to the fox oem fork.
    Thanks for the reply.

I asked my LBS about this yesterday and they said: "According to Fox, F Series forks have a specific damper for the amount of travel the forks have so your damper would be too short for 120 mm travel. The 120 mm forks use a different crown steerer stanchion assembly as well."

Do you have the Pike on your AX29? If so, do you have to set up for to 120 mm?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The damper on my oem stock fork worked perfectly in the 120mm setting. Some oem forks used had the capabilities of running longer if the bike company's specked it. For instance Specialized used the same fox fork on their 29er whicht was set at 115mm. The pike dual position is fantastic. The 120-150 comes with a 46mm offset for the 29er. A shorter stem and the bikes comes alive and steers very well. I rarely use the 120, only for sustained climbs or very narrow tight trails always with the damping in trail or locked out position.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I am running the pike 29er on my Giant anthem x advanced, and the new rock shox Rt3. A very good combo which makes the bike trail worthy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    OH, also using a 65mm stem right now, love it. I use very short curved in and downward carbon bar ends. I can reach out on em and extend my arms on the climbs. never a problem with hooking. I've had two downeville trips on em and a Demo forest romp with better handling and trail manners. Its a trail worthy anthem 29er. get the pike 150!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I had my LBS increase the travel of my 100 mm fork to 120 mm. I lowered the stem 20 mm to compensate and took the bike for a ride. It felt a bit sketchy and less stable so I think I'll move the stem back up. I'm only getting around 90 mm of travel out of the fork (which is about the same I was getting when it was set at 100 mm) so there may be oil in the air chamber (which has been a problem in the past).

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    There is only a small amount of oil on top of the air side piston, And some oil below the piston in the lower legs for lubing. Make sure of the correct amounts.

Did the LBS make sure the right side damper worked properly, 'with full travel of the fork', with the air side piston assembly completely removed, prior to re setting the travel limiter ring and re installing? The damper unit may not support 120mm of travel. Mine did on my OEM bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm not sure if they checked the right side damper or not but I let the air out of the left side tonight and was able to get 120 mm of travel. I pumped it up to 60 psi I can get about 90 mm of travel cycling the forks with all my weight (and now with 80 psi I can get 80 mm). I had an issue when the forks were quite new that I couldn't get full travel and it transpired that oil had leaked through to the air side. Replacing that seal at the next service fixed that but perhaps that seal has gone again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Empty out the fluid on top of the air side piston after the cap has been removed. See how much comes out. Re install cap and inflate just for testing to see if you get full travel. Install new seals and proper amount of oil if you do get full travel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Plenty of oil had leaked into the air chamber. My LBS replaced the foam seal with a rubber one and it is much more plush. I got 110mm+ of travel on my last ride. I'm still playing the with stem height to get the right feel. Last ride I moved the stem up 10 mm (so half way up) but the front wheel feels a little light on flat singletrack so I've moved it back down again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hey, well done! hope it works well for you. Me? I'm rocking on my 150 pike, dual position. It has transformed my anthem x carbon 29er into a good all around machine. The 4" anthem is a very capable ride.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Firm believer in running 120mm up front. I have a dual air, SID XX with careful manipulation of the air chambers, gets 120mm travel without a re-shim and has awesome results. I recommend every XC bike with 100mm travel does it!
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hey, well done! hope it works well for you. Me? I'm rocking on my 150 pike, dual position. It has transformed my anthem x carbon 29er into a good all around machine. The 4" anthem is a very capable ride.
    Thanks heaps for the advice, saved me having to buy a new fork (and associated stem etc). I'm still running the 100 mm OD2 stem and would like to try a shorter one but they're not cheap in OD2 form.

mtbr member
    Are most of you still happy with 120mm fork on the Anthem 29?

I'm looking to get the SID 120. Climbing is fine with 100 front but I find it sketchy on the downhills.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Due to top tube cracking issues with Anthem frames - I would not recommend going 120mm on the fork. I did it on my Anthem 26er and never took the wheels off the ground....yet the seat tube/top tube junction split. Giant did not cover it, either....
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    Are most of you still happy with 120mm fork on the Anthem 29?

I'm looking to get the SID 120. Climbing is fine with 100 front but I find it sketchy on the downhills.
    I'm happy with 120 mm. To be honest I haven't noticed a huge difference but climbing doesn't seem any different and being a degree slacker has got to be make descending a little safer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Due to top tube cracking issues with Anthem frames - I would not recommend going 120mm on the fork. I did it on my Anthem 26er and never took the wheels off the ground....yet the seat tube/top tube junction split. Giant did not cover it, either....
    I wouldn't have thought an extra 20 mm would cause that issue. The stresses on the frame from a heavy rider (not saying your are heavy) and a big landing would be much more likely to cause the issue. If the frame cracked you could always change the fork back to 100 mm and submit a warranty claim.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I believe the cracking involved only early anthems back in 2011? As far as I can tell, the frame issue was fixed early on. In my mind, plusher longer travel tuned properly would be a frame saver if anything. ridged and or locked out suspension would place more stresses on the frame, provoking cracking. My carbon anthem 29er with a 150 pike can take way more abuse than my original aluminum anthem and the stock 100mm wimpy flexy fork.

mtbr member
    Do you guys also switch to a shorter stem when you go 120mm up front from 100mm?

mtbr member
    Actually if you put a taller fork on a frame you shorten the REACH if you keep the saddle the same relative to the BB, so putting a shorter stem as well will shorten it even more, technically if you want the bike to have the same cockpit you should install a longer stem or wider bar.
    Do you guys also switch to a shorter stem when you go 120mm up front from 100mm?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I just lowered the stem by 20 mm to compensate for the 20 mm increase. OD2 makes it difficult to find a shorter stem without paying $$.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    This is a great thread. Can anyone comment on how the steering is affected by a 120mm fork? That is my main concern with shifting to this length fork, but I feel like it could really improve the ride for me. I rode a 120 mm (front and back) bike before this year and bought an anthemx 29er at the beginning of the season. I love how fast it flies uphills, and how capable it is for a 100 mm bike. I am, however, concerned about sacrificing mobility on switchbacks and berms. Any thoughts out there on cornering with a 120 mm fork?

mtbr member
    Depends on what offset your current 100mm fork has now. If it is a <46mm offset fork, then moving to a 120mm fork with 51mm offset should actually keep the steering feeling almost the same.

Quote Originally Posted by VTpedaler View Post
    This is a great thread. Can anyone comment on how the steering is affected by a 120mm fork? That is my main concern with shifting to this length fork, but I feel like it could really improve the ride for me. I rode a 120 mm (front and back) bike before this year and bought an anthemx 29er at the beginning of the season. I love how fast it flies uphills, and how capable it is for a 100 mm bike. I am, however, concerned about sacrificing mobility on switchbacks and berms. Any thoughts out there on cornering with a 120 mm fork?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    The fork came stock with the the 2013 Anthemx 29er and is the 100 mm fox float ctd. From what I've read on this forum, it's a 46 mm offset. Would shifting to a 51 mm offset with the 120 mm fork require an adapter? And, what would the difference be between 46 mm and 51 mm? Would it even be necessary to change the offset?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Ok, I have played with this a lot over the last few years. here goes. Remember that our 29er Anthem's come with a 71deg head angle, and a long chainstay, and pretty generous cockpit. In my quest to build a better 'trail anthem' I started by increasing the travel on my OEM fox fork to eventually 120mm. I found that shortening the stem a little each time I lengthened travel, kept the steering nicely quick with good trail manners. I ride with my seat biased to the rear, so plenty of room in the cockpit. Right now I am running a 150mm dual position Pike, 65mm stem, and a dropper. I use short stubby carbon bar ends which gets me out front while climbing or standing. My bike climbs fantastic, remember the long chain stays keep the front end down!! I seldom climb in the 130 mode, only on very steep or techie sections. The shorter stem maintains good steering. I ride a lot of tight tiny track around here in Marin with no problems. The flow trail? fantastic. What I do have now is a better all around trail bike. Demo forest in Santa cruz with many drops? The bike does it!! No way, not even close with the stock oem fork, stem, seat post. I am also running a 2014 Rt3 which matches well with the pike's rapid recovery. My angles now are head=69deg, seat=around 72deg. Still handles great, not to slack. I have an angle tool.
    I'm kept in amazement at how nice the bike is now. I had the chance to ride with Lee Mc Cormik this past summer and he really liked my set up. Run tubeless with lower psi in front. tune your front and rear suspension to work together. know your bike and how to fix it. Happy trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    the pike 29er fork has two offsets, I went with the 46, I think its our stock set up.
    it does not feel chopped out or floppy. I can really get 'on top of it' for good steering.

mtbr member
    Some good info, but I surely WOULD not be taking that risk with my health, not with a race designed bike like the Anthem, tubeset is optimized to be as light as possible, i.e. it's designed for it's geo, put a longer fork on it and the stress on the HT/DT junction just is sketchy. Now on my Phantom, which is designed with "offset" geo of 105mm rear and 120mm front, I can run 140mm on the front now worries, but in actuality, the whole package works really well between 120-130mm. To the OP, I wouldn't personally put anything past a 130mm travel fork on an Anthem, they just weren't designed for it, not safe IMHO.

Steve,did you put the "tool" on the front of the HT or did you draw a line down the centre of the HT and measure there?

Ok, I have played with this a lot over the last few years. here goes. Remember that our 29er Anthem's come with a 71deg head angle, and a long chainstay, and pretty generous cockpit. In my quest to build a better 'trail anthem' I started by increasing the travel on my OEM fox fork to eventually 120mm. I found that shortening the stem a little each time I lengthened travel, kept the steering nicely quick with good trail manners. I ride with my seat biased to the rear, so plenty of room in the cockpit. Right now I am running a 150mm dual position Pike, 65mm stem, and a dropper. I use short stubby carbon bar ends which gets me out front while climbing or standing. My bike climbs fantastic, remember the long chain stays keep the front end down!! I seldom climb in the 130 mode, only on very steep or techie sections. The shorter stem maintains good steering. I ride a lot of tight tiny track around here in Marin with no problems. The flow trail? fantastic. What I do have now is a better all around trail bike. Demo forest in Santa cruz with many drops? The bike does it!! No way, not even close with the stock oem fork, stem, seat post. I am also running a 2014 Rt3 which matches well with the pike's rapid recovery. My angles now are head=69deg, seat=around 72deg. Still handles great, not to slack. I have an angle tool.
    I'm kept in amazement at how nice the bike is now. I had the chance to ride with Lee Mc Cormik this past summer and he really liked my set up. Run tubeless with lower psi in front. tune your front and rear suspension to work together. know your bike and how to fix it. Happy trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I extended the fork travel (100 > 120mm) on my AX and love it. Bike came with a SID fork, required an air spring swap for travel change. I notice a significant reduction in pedal strikes, better fit (taller stack works for me..) and no reduction in climbing ability. Moved the saddle forward a few mm to maintain weight balance and riding position. Along with a dropper seatpost, the bike now owns rough xc trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I place the angle tool on the upper fork tubes. I now ride the carbon anthem, very strong. I used to get occasional bottom outs on the shorter fork which was a much harsher ride than the pike. I feel the longer pike actually is safer and protects the frame better with a smoother ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Head angle may be a hair less than 69 with the 150mm pike. checked it again.

mtbr member
    The fork has offset, both at the crown and at the drop outs, so your measurement is off, you need to draw a line on the HT straight down the centre to get the true head angle. My guess would be with a 150mm fork that it would be somewhere closer to 68.5* or slacker.

I place the angle tool on the upper fork tubes. I now ride the carbon anthem, very strong. I used to get occasional bottom outs on the shorter fork which was a much harsher ride than the pike. I feel the longer pike actually is safer and protects the frame better with a smoother ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Stevo, would it be too much to ask to see a photo of your Anthem? I'm really curious to see it with the pike. It sounds like a pretty wild setup.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Your right LyNx. taking the head angle reading on the upper stanchions will be off to what ever degree of offset is built into the steer crown. its hard to say what that would translate in angle deg. its hard to get a good reading on the carbon molded head tube. The 46mm pike offset, or 1.81 inches seems to be getting all but a little over a quarter inch of its offset from the dropouts extending away from the lowers. I figure I'm off a half deg? if so, my true head angle now is somewhere around 68.5deg. In either case, the longer pike hasn't negatively affected the steering. I'd love to ride one of those Phantom's.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Fastezzie, did you do any changes in stem length? One of the first things i noticed when i 'pushed' mine out to 120 was a very strange, almost hesitant steering sensation with my stock 100mm stem. It was hard to figure out. I even put it back to the 100mm travel. Then I started shortening the stem length and wow, it came back to life. I think you have a different fork, so perhaps that has not been the case for you. What is the offset built into your fork?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Fastezzie, did you do any changes in stem length? One of the first things i noticed when i 'pushed' mine out to 120 was a very strange, almost hesitant steering sensation with my stock 100mm stem. It was hard to figure out. I even put it back to the 100mm travel. Then I started shortening the stem length and wow, it came back to life. I think you have a different fork, so perhaps that has not been the case for you. What is the offset built into your fork?
    Stevo R - what stem did you use when you went to 80 mm? I can see a couple on e-bay - both are Contact stems but different grades of alloy I think:

Giant Contact OD2 Stem 80mm | eBay

Giant Contact OD2 Stem 80mm Overdrive 2 Black White Compatible 1 1 4" or 1 1 8" | eBay

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    When I had my original fork, I used a giant contact OD2 80mm stem with the 1 1/4" Overdrive.
    with my pike I used one of my older 80mm 1 1/8", then on to a 65mm stem given to me by a friend.
    Last edited by Stevo R; 12-08-2014 at 07:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I had switched from 100 to 80mm stem before changing fork travel. Big improvement.
    Stock SID fork, should be 46mm offset.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah, great. that's what I found too. And as I went with more travel in front I shortened the stem some. A dual position fork allows for some 'drop and lock ' while climbing. great for long stand stints.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    How to lower your Fox Float 32 the GHETTO no-special-tools, or spacers method! - Pinkbike Forum Came across this, gives a good picture whether decreasing or increasing travel on the fox.

mtbr member
    Resurrecting an old thread here. Anyone happen to know if the stock Fox 32 F29 fork that came on the 2011 X2 model can be extended to 120mm? Trying to get another year or two out of this bike. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Pretty sure posts #12 and #13 asked the same question and answer..
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

FATTrailer for the kiddo

mtbr member
    Ummm, I don't see that in those post #'s. I'm talking about if it's possible to convert the fork from it's current config of 100mm TO 120mm.

mtbr member
    Check the back of the fork lowers, there you'll find a 4 digit code, go to Fox's site and the tech section, input that number and find out all you want about that fork

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.p...ke&ref=bc_help

Quote Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
    Resurrecting an old thread here. Anyone happen to know if the stock Fox 32 F29 fork that came on the 2011 X2 model can be extended to 120mm? Trying to get another year or two out of this bike. Thanks.