GFisher - Cobia ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

GFisher - Cobia ?

Very close to putting down a deposit in order to get a GF Cobia for the Oct. production schedule. Seems and feels like a great bike but the brakes do not have the best rating.

The Trek dealer is close to my house so it makes convenient if in need of repairs or service.

Does anyone recommend looking at other companies that produce 29 ers ?

mtbr member
    My first 29er was an 09 Cobia. Iam 6'2" 195 and the bike is great. The BB5 brakes have plenty of stopping power. But you can do an upgrade to the BB7. Overall you wouldn't be disappointed if you bought the Cobia. Good all around.
    1983 Ross Custom Deluxe Mtb
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5
    2015 Giant TCX SLR 2

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

mtbr member

MI-29er

Well today I got off the fence and did it, I ordered a 2011 Cobia! The owner of the bike shop said the brakes are okay that they are just generic mechanical brakes and they should be fine. The only thing that I seemed not to like was the pedals. They are very light looking, which I think was the intent but do not look comfortable or the type to stand up on. My Trek has a platform pedal with spikes and I am happy with that kind of pedal. I could always chang ethem myself, just more $$$.

Thanks,

Rich

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin
    The owner of the bike shop said the brakes are okay that they are just generic mechanical brakes
    I considered this bike myself. IIRC these have Promax Q3 / Hornet disc brakes. These are hydraulics.

mtbr member

common man is correct!

What was he talking about, the brakes are hydraulic ! Is this really bad news having the Promax brakes ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    What was he talking about, the brakes are hydraulic ! Is this really bad news having the Promax brakes ?
    No, don't worry. You should be OK. I told my lbs that I did not know anything about these brakes and that bothered me. He said he trusts the components that Trek puts on their bikes. I can accept that. I bet that the Promax Q3s will be fine for XC riding. On the bright side, I like Promax's excellent instructions for maintaining the bike. That is a good sign of putting care behind your product.

Having said all that, I did upgrade my pre-order from Cobia to X-Caliber primarily because of the Reba dual air with motion control. I think the Cobia should be a nice bike. You gotta love the Halloween orange. I just wish the dang bike was here already but I'm expecting October / November. It's good that Trek is taking the time to address potential manufacturing defects.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    May I ask how much did you guys get the 2011 Cobia and X-caliber for? How much under MSRP?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jota.dc
    May I ask how much did you guys get the 2011 Cobia and X-caliber for? How much under MSRP?
    in my local area of delaware county, pa the regular prices of the 2011s are: $999 for the cobia and $1399 for the x-caiber. my lbs is the biggest in delaware county with a chain of stores. they had a 15% 29er pre-order sale. so i'll be getting the x-caliber for $1190 ($360 off msrp). they were selling me the cobia for $850 ($250 off msrp).

i can see why they offered this discount...we have no idea when the 2011s will be available. i placed my order july 12 and it seems like i'll be waiting till end of season. i went to the delaware location where there's no sales tax

mtbr member

Wow

That price is great! I live in Rockland County NY which is 25 miles north of NYC and I checked bike shops all over NY and New Jersey as well and they were all taking orders at list price !!

My LBS deduced $75 so I will pay $1124 for a Cobia. Wish I could get a X-Caliber for that price !

I will be going to Delaware County in a few weeks, staying in Lambertville, in order to ride the Delaware River trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    i should have mentioned though that the pre-sale ended july 12. the price now is $999 for the cobia. no 15% off

mtbr member

Pricing

Thanks, you just made me feel much better!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just went to my TREK dealer. They pretty much stay around MSRP. It looks like it'll be candy orange for me. I really wanted the x-caliber though.

mtbr member
    Just went to my TREK dealer. They pretty much stay around MSRP. It looks like it'll be candy orange for me. I really wanted the x-caliber though.
    Same here. I am paying MSRP for my Cobia. Ordered mine on 6/23/2010. My dealer told me I might get mine this week. I might be in the minority, but I like the color schemes on the new Trek/GF 2011 line up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jgboys1
    My dealer told me I might get mine this week

what state is your dealer located?

edit: bronx new york. nice! i hear the pizza at totonno's, lombardi's, john's, and grimalid's is there!

i need usually make a holy trip to the pizza capital every year.
    Last edited by common_man; 08-15-2010 at 02:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    on the bright side, candy orange is one of the nicer paint schemes!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by common_man

what state is your dealer located?

edit: bronx new york. nice! i hear the pizza at totonno's, lombardi's, john's, and grimalid's is there!

i need usually make a holy trip to the pizza capital every year.
    Actualy I am in Long Island now. I ordered my bike from Big City Bicycle in Garden City, NY. I hope he is right, about my bike being here this week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Actualy I am in Long Island now. I ordered my bike from Big City Bicycle in Garden City, NY. I hope he is right, about my bike being here this week.
    he must have said this to you a while ago (like my lbs). last week i called trek and they said it wouldn't arrive until late october. on monday my lbs told me it would arrive august 23. then on thursday when i went to see him to fix an old bike, he checked again and it said november.

this means that no one has any idea when they will be ready. it could be this week, next week, or november. i'm not holding my breathe. if it comes early i'll be ecstatic.

mtbr member

Cobia

Orange could be a great color but it is really unknown until you see it in person. generally speaking I do not like the color Green however the 2010 X-Caliber in Forest Green & Black looked AWSOME!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by common_man
    he must have said this to you a while ago (like my lbs). last week i called trek and they said it wouldn't arrive until late october. on monday my lbs told me it would arrive august 23. then on thursday when i went to see him to fix an old bike, he checked again and it said november.

this means that no one has any idea when they will be ready. it could be this week, next week, or november. i'm not holding my breathe. if it comes early i'll be ecstatic.
    He actually told me this yesterday, but I will believe it when I see it. I will not surprised if I do not get it until November. I will keep you guys posted,

mtbr member
    Well the bike store called yesterday. My bike is in. Ordered on 6/23/2010 and he received it on 10/5/2010. I will be picking it up this Saturday.

mtbr member

Cobia

Well the bike store called yesterday. My bike is in. Ordered on 6/23/2010 and he received it on 10/5/2010. I will be picking it up this Saturday.
    Wow, that is good news, I bet you are excited! I have not been waiting as long as you have and I can't wait to pick mine up.
    I guess mine should just about be in as well since we both live in New York!

I am unsure as to how the color will look or if I will be crazy about it since I have not yet seen that bike. I also hope the Promax brakes are decent since they have only made mechanical discs until this year. We will see.

Post some photos when you have received the bike and let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Rich

mtbr member
    Just bought the new Cobia last Saturday. Love it, no problems with the brakes.

mtbr member

Cobia

I guess the GF's are working there way to the East Cost and at a very slow pace. There are many of us in the tri state area who are anxiously waiting and hoping the good riding weather lasts. Hoping it arrives before it is time to hang it up in the garage for the winter.

How does the paint color look ?

mtbr member
    I really like the color. It's matte in person.

mtbr member

Cobia

Quote Originally Posted by JamyW
    I really like the color. It's matte in person.
    Jamy,

The color looks GREAT, much better than on the Trek web site, in fact I had thought it was brighter and glossier and I had even contemplated buying an X Caliber just to get a different color.
    After viewing your photo I know I will be more than happy with the finish, it looks really cool mixed with the black, awesome man!

Congratulations and enjoy you new ride!

I appreciate you getting back to me.

Rich

mtbr member
    Thanks Rich. Good luck with yours also. Yes, I can not wait to pick it up Saturday. The weather is going to be nice this weekend, so I will be doing alot of riding. It will be my first time on a 29er, so I am looking forward to getting on it and taking it for a spin.
    Last edited by jgboys1; 10-07-2010 at 12:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Just picked my Cobia up. Having trouble posting pictures. Will post some later.
    Last edited by jgboys1; 10-09-2010 at 09:10 AM.

mtbr member

New Cobia

Just picked my Cobia up. Having trouble posting pictures. Will post some later.
    Congratulations on your new ride ! A perfect day to greet the arrival of a new bike, I wish mine was in today to take full advantage of a beautiful Saturday.

We did ride, went to Ringwood Park in northern NJ for the first time ever and found the place to be very scenic and loaded with trails. Will be going back many times in the future and hopefully with my new Cobia.

Looking forward to your photos my friend!

mtbr member
    So, what did you think? Whats gonna be the first upgrade?

mtbr member

Cobia upgrades

Jamy,

Very ironic that you asked, one month after ordering the bike I bought a pair of platform pedals. I do not like the pedals that come on the Cobia. I would guess they are light and sort of a cross country pedal but I prefer a heavier looking and studier mountain type platform pedal. I bought a pair of Forte platforms from Performance Bike and they are sitting around waiting for the bike to come in.

Also not crazy about the appearance of the long sweep handlebars but need to see how they feel and how I fit in the cockpit. The saddle looks kind of bland but I need to see it in the flesh, only judging by photos. I will install a black bottle cage, a pump, saddle bag and a wonder bell and will check out the grips that come with the bike.

Always open to suggestions so if you have an accessory that you think is worth mentioning give me a shout. Do you know of something better than a Topeak saddle bag ?

Still waiting for that call!!!

Regards - Rich

mtbr member
    Yea, I don't like the pedals. Not sure what I'm goning go with on mine. As for the handlebars they are pretty comfortable to me. The saddle is a little soft for my taste. May change the wheelset but not until I destory these. I just run a camelbak with storage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Posted some pix a week ago on this thread:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/2011-gf-trek-cobia-654372.html

Hope to give you guys an idea on the color.

Bone stock, straight out of the box......

(Click To Enlarge)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    how do you like the promax hornet disc brakes? i prefer the x-caliber for the components but the cobia's atomic orange is soooo awesome!

SS Pusher Man
    Jamy,

Very ironic that you asked, one month after ordering the bike I bought a pair of platform pedals. I do not like the pedals that come on the Cobia. I would guess they are light and sort of a cross country pedal but I prefer a heavier looking and studier mountain type platform pedal. I bought a pair of Forte platforms from Performance Bike and they are sitting around waiting for the bike to come in.

Also not crazy about the appearance of the long sweep handlebars but need to see how they feel and how I fit in the cockpit. The saddle looks kind of bland but I need to see it in the flesh, only judging by photos. I will install a black bottle cage, a pump, saddle bag and a wonder bell and will check out the grips that come with the bike.

Always open to suggestions so if you have an accessory that you think is worth mentioning give me a shout. Do you know of something better than a Topeak saddle bag ?

Still waiting for that call!!!

Regards - Rich

Are you buying a bike to show off or to ride? Who cares what the saddle looks like when you ass is on it covering it up.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member

edm747

Hey, thanks for posting the photos they are helpful since I have not seen a 2011 Cobia and I have one on order and still waiting for it to come in.

I, as well as common man, are curious about the brakes since it is the first year that Promax has manufactured hydraulic brakes. Let us know what you think.

Thanks!

Truly Doneski
    Sep 2009
    I'm surprised how nice that color is in person. When I saw the first pictures on the trek website, I thought the bike was awful looking. Matte is pretty cool though, and the price is right. I still miss the GF name though!
    Originally Posted by Bmateo1:
    Joyous Day in Woods
    Thoughtless Jackwagon, piss near
    Chudzpah, Passion Lost

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    After the break-in, the Promax brakes held up well. Decent stopping power for general XC riding. But will probably try a 7in rotor up front since there are a lot of long downhill slopes on the trail I'm riding on. Brake modulation is comparable to the different Shimano brake models that I've tried before. My only concern right now is the availability of the pads, the LBS said they don't know when will they have them.

Here's a better view to check out the color and the brakes.....
    (Click To Enlarge)

mtbr member
    Thanks for the photos!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I just got back from my lbs I paid $1175 out the door for a 2011 Cobia. Bike should be ready tomorrow morning.

mtbr member

Cobia

Quote Originally Posted by Viktor-7
    I just got back from my lbs I paid $1175 out the door for a 2011 Cobia. Bike should be ready tomorrow morning.
    I wish i could pay for mine and be out the door, that is with the bike of course. I have been waiting for months and the bike is not in yet. October is one of the best months to ride in NY area and the month is half over. I am bummed out man!

I hate that name.
    Quote Originally Posted by edm747
    My only concern right now is the availability of the pads, the LBS said they don't know when will they have them.
    I haven't seen them in person outside of the caliper, but they look very similar to Avid Juicy/BB7 pads. Very, including the spring. It may be worth pulling the pads out to have a look. If they are the same fitting, then you would be able to upgrade to a pretty high quality pad. My opinion of these brakes just went up again. The ones that we've had in the shop feel pretty good in the parking lot.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss
    I haven't seen them in person outside of the caliper, but they look very similar to Avid Juicy/BB7 pads. Very, including the spring. It may be worth pulling the pads out to have a look. If they are the same fitting, then you would be able to upgrade to a pretty high quality pad. My opinion of these brakes just went up again. The ones that we've had in the shop feel pretty good in the parking lot.
    I would imagine that Trek carefully considered all other brake manufactures before selecting the Promax hydraulic brakes for there Cobia. I guess it will be a while before the reviews start coming in and we find out just how good or bad these brakes really are.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss
    Thanks for the heads-up! I'm not too familiar with Avid's (Shimano user here), and have not really had the time yet to actually check on the pads also. But since you mentioned it, I did some little research. Yes you're right, they use the same pads. Now that's a +1 on the Promax Hornet for me, being able to have different options for the pads' brand and material.

From the Promax site:
    Description : PD96
    For PROMAX Caliper: DSK-905[Q3] / DSK907[HORNET]
    Compatibility: AVID-BB7/Juicy3/juicy5/juicy7

Thanks "blunderbuss"!

mtbr member

adm747

Quote Originally Posted by edm747
    Thanks for the heads-up! I'm not too familiar with Avid's (Shimano user here), and have not really had the time yet to actually check on the pads also. But since you mentioned it, I did some little research. Yes you're right, they use the same pads. Now that's a +1 on the Promax Hornet for me, being able to have different options for the pads' brand and material.

From the Promax site:
    Description : PD96
    For PROMAX Caliper: DSK-905[Q3] / DSK907[HORNET]
    Compatibility: AVID-BB7/Juicy3/juicy5/juicy7

Thanks "blunderbuss"!
    Thanks for doing some research and posting the information, it is very helpful.

I have always had rim brakes so the Cobia will present a whole new braking experience. From what you had mentioned I guess there is a noticeable difference with various brake pads ? I would have thought the only difference would be with the longevity of the pads due to different materials used in the pads.I guess that could also effect the braking power to some extent.

Thanks again - Rich

mtbr member

Cobia

I finally got a call from my LBS who said Trek is delivering my Cobia some time tomorrow and it should be ready for me to pick up on Thursday or Friday of this week.

Finally, after waiting for months, I should have the bike for the weekend - Finally!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    They're showing up in a few shops in the Philly area now. They look sweet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I bought a GF Marlin for 598.49 2 weeks ago. It has okay components nothing special, I already wanna replace parts on it. But at the moment its in the LBS due to wrong seals on the shocks. So I've been riding a walmart 26er squishy and after being tainted with a 29er it's a real pain in my arse to ride that bike. I have been waiting since week and half for Suntour to send them the parts for my shocks. You can imagine how i feel not being able to ride my bike or commute to work.

mtbr member

Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by Kholdstare79
    I bought a GF Marlin for 598.49 2 weeks ago. It has okay components nothing special, I already wanna replace parts on it. But at the moment its in the LBS due to wrong seals on the shocks. So I've been riding a walmart 26er squishy and after being tainted with a 29er it's a real pain in my arse to ride that bike. I have been waiting since week and half for Suntour to send them the parts for my shocks. You can imagine how i feel not being able to ride my bike or commute to work.
    How can the seals be wrong ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Recall on the Suntours on the Marlin... Well for one it was not having the proper seals on there, it would expose the innards of the shocks. by just riding it normally as i would commuting from work and back home and the lockout would unlock itself out of lockout.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Well today I got off the fence and did it, I ordered a 2011 Cobia! The owner of the bike shop said the brakes are okay that they are just generic mechanical brakes and they should be fine. The only thing that I seemed not to like was the pedals. They are very light looking, which I think was the intent but do not look comfortable or the type to stand up on. My Trek has a platform pedal with spikes and I am happy with that kind of pedal. I could always chang ethem myself, just more $$$.

Thanks,

Rich
    Hope you are enjoying the bike, loving mine! When you are ready, pony up for some pedals and clip in -- much better performance and helps with power to get that big bike moving!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

PROMAX squeal, how to stop it.

I'm having a bit of a problem with the rear disk on my Mongoose Tyax Super. It has Promax Q3 and the rear brakes squeal in cessantly. I have changes the rotor and the problem remains. I have cleaned the pads with alcohol and the problem remains. I have adjusted them many times. But still the squeal persists. It is so bad that it wakes the neighbours when I'm heading out early for a local gig.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have an 2007 cobia. It seems great for the price but I have upgraded to a Spec full suspension 29er after getting more serious in my riding (still have and enjoy the cobia). I did upgrade to the BB7 brakes partly because I was going to a bigger rotor and got the set for almost the price of a rotor. Both BB5 and 7 have ggod braking power but the 7s are so much easier to keep adjusted with inboard and outboard adjusters. In fact I think the BB& does as good as my hydraulic brakes on my new 3000 bike. I did brake the frame recently, but it was warrenteed (and I am 240 and gave it some abuse). I also have trouble with shimano hub/freewheel so i upgraded that as well- but that is due to my size.

Two-Niner
    Jan 2011
    Ive been riding mine since September and love it. I immediately changed the bar and stem and since upgraded the shifters and rear derailleur to X9. I have no complaint on the brakes themselves but the pads seem to glaze over under heavy braking. I was told buy more experienced rides to simply give a light sanding to the pads and upgrade to better pads when they wear out. Sounds like good advice.
    2011 Gary Fisher Cobia, X9 rear derailleur, X9 shifters, Bontrager race bar, Bontrager race stem, WTB saddle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

I purchased a set of BBB sintered metal DiscDtop pads.

Thanks jdizzy8 . I'll slot the new pads in tomorrow and see how they go. They were a bit expensive at $AUD30 (about par with $US). I might go net shopping next time as there seems to be some good deals on the online shops.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Sandpaper did the trick.

I found the Promax site with instructions of how to pull the brakes apart and found that the pads and rotor, although very new, seemed to be gunked up with some oily looking mixture.
    Luckily when I sandpapered the pads down they came clean after a while and when I assembled and adjusted them all was good again (no squeal and happy neighbours being the two main positive byproducts).

Cheers

Chris

davidcarson48
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyax4starts
    I found the Promax site with instructions of how to pull the brakes apart and found that the pads and rotor, although very new, seemed to be gunked up with some oily looking mixture.
    Luckily when I sandpapered the pads down they came clean after a while and when I assembled and adjusted them all was good again (no squeal and happy neighbours being the two main positive byproducts).

Cheers

Chris
    If the squeal comes back, add a thin film of CRC Brake Quiet on the backs of the pads. It acts to insulate the pads so the vibration doesn't transmit to the calipers and frame. Available at any auto parts store. A little goes a long way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

OK I'll grab a can next time I'm at Supacheap

Thanks for the advice, I'll grab a can soon

mtbr member
    Chris,
    The owner of the local bike shop said that Promax produces very decent products so although there are better know manufactures of brakes the Promax brakes may be as good or better than the others.

Good luck,

Rich

Two-Niner
    Jan 2011
    Finally loaded a few pictures from my iPhone to share.

2011 Gary Fisher Cobia, X9 rear derailleur, X9 shifters, Bontrager race bar, Bontrager race stem, WTB saddle.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Promax DSK-907 Hornet two cents

I don't have a Cobia, but I bought I recently bought a Trek 4300 Disc, which has the same Promax hydraulic brakes, so I figured my feedback on the brakes performance would be appreciaited.

On the second day of sun after 10 days of rain, I tested my bike on the Cerro Gordo trail in Dorado, PR. The trail has a reputation for good drainage, but it was still wet, and packed with bikers eroding dirt, and exposing rocks and roots that are usually more covered. Due to the slippery conditions, it was a bit a of challenge for me, and I pushed the brakes fairly hard on bumpy or slick downhills.

I've had no negative issues with the brakes. Performance-wise, the brakes kept me from careening off-course and crashing into a boudler, or tree, or tumbling off a hill into the ocean.

As for long term reliability, only time will tell, and I'll update my comment in the future if I have any issues.

mtbr member
    So far, I am very happy with the brakes. I guess my main concern was due to the fact they are not one of the main manufacturers of hydraulic brakes so I was skeptical about the availability of parts and service.

As far as braking, they work perfectly!

Members who have read this thread: 0