GF 292 chain suck- Mtbr.com

Dec 2005

GF 292 chain suck

The title says it all. It was muddy today, but it happened once in dry conditions. What can I do to stop this from happening? Is it a matter of derailer adjustments? I've been using White Lighting for chain lube, should I be using something else? Also, it doesn't look like I can use a third eye or similar chain guide, or is there something out there that will fit my frame?
    Thanks

Schipperkes are cool.
    All mountain bikes chain suck. Some more than others. Usually it's made worse with lack of correct chain lube type and amount-not enough "cuz my chain has to be CLEAN". That means it's under-lubed.
    Any type of Dry lube will make chain suck worse. Try Pedros Syn lube or Dumonde Tech Original.
    Also SRAM chains seem to make matters worse as well. Put a XTR/Dura Ace chain on. I have had good luck with Salsa & FSA chain rings with my customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

jrm
    mtbr member

I've read

Quote Originally Posted by atl-dad
    The title says it all. It was muddy today, but it happened once in dry conditions. What can I do to stop this from happening? Is it a matter of derailer adjustments? I've been using White Lighting for chain lube, should I be using something else? Also, it doesn't look like I can use a third eye or similar chain guide, or is there something out there that will fit my frame?
    Thanks
    that 1 or 2mm spacers on the drive side of the BB works. Also the bonty cranksets are know for inducing chainsuck..

mtbr member
    It happens. Are you new to the bike? Once you get used to shifting your particular bike, it will rarely happen. Yes the stickier lubes will make it worse, especially the one I had on my bike when I first picked it up from the LBS.

One trick for getting the chain back where it belongs is to try to put your stomach on the seat of the bike so that your weight ia bringing the center of the bike down a bit while you fiddle around with the chain. Ideally you want a second person sitting on the bike, but that isn't always an option.

Good luck.

Recovering couch patato
    Check chain lengh. Could you live with shorter? Chain tension is your friend.

wrench
    Dont know how old your rings are, but if they are alittle worn, check for any burrs on the inside of the rings (frame side). I have "cured" many a chain sucking bike by filing off the small burrs on the rings (usually on a tooth or two) Also check for any bent teeth at the same time.
    If not that, like said, use a better lube- i.e., a wet lube. Just clean your chain more often. Beats replacing it 'cause your rollers and pins wore out prematurly from lack of lube.
    Good luck

luckiest of the unlucky
    Someone here in the forums had said that they built up epoxy paste around the chainstay to knock the chain back down. Havent tried it myself, but it sounds like it might work. On the other hand, I've heard that the bolt on style chainsuck guards can cause more harm than good.
    My Paragon has had a horrible chainsuck problem since day one. My times suffered greatly from it in both races that I entered last season, so I certainly feel your pain.
    One thing to check once it starts happening... take your chain off (if it has a powerlink) and let it hang dead straight. Make sure it didn't get bent when it sucked up between the rings and chainstay. That'll make things exponentially worse.

Just go ride!

GF 292 Chain-suck thread.

I know you've seen these already, but for everyone else's benefit...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=124483
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=135997

These links are also in that first thread:
    http://www.fagan.co.za/Bikes/Csuck/
    http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html
    Last edited by Stefan_G; 02-13-2006 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Add URLs

Dec 2005

Thanks for the replies

Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Check chain lengh. Could you live with shorter? Chain tension is your friend.
    Yeah, I could go shorter. I just want to know what gears I should put the bike in to determine how short. I plan on getting a wipperman connex link, so I'll be breaking the chain and I can take a few links out then. Should I put it in the big ring up front and what gear in the back? Second from the top maybe? Should I get it so the derailer cage hangs straight up and down, or pulls a little towards the cranks? It's a sram X0 derailer if that helps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by atl-dad
    Yeah, I could go shorter. I just want to know what gears I should put the bike in to determine how short. I plan on getting a wipperman connex link, so I'll be breaking the chain and I can take a few links out then. Should I put it in the big ring up front and what gear in the back? Second from the top maybe? Should I get it so the derailer cage hangs straight up and down, or pulls a little towards the cranks? It's a sram X0 derailer if that helps.
    If you decide to run with a pretty tight chain, you might opt to bring along one of those powerlinks so that you don't have to shorten your chain in an emergency repair. Even if you have to shorten it, it shouldn't be too short for you to still be able to ride it on a small cog in front and a small one in the rear.

Members who have read this thread: 0