mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Getting a wheel for trainer use only - which measurements have to be the same.

I have a 29'er with 10 x 141mm QR hubs/axle spacing. If I am just getting a wheel to use with a slick tire on a fluid trainer and have no need of brakes, do I have any hub/axle spacing size flexibility on any of those dimensions? I just need the thing to turn properly on a trainer roller. I'm riding tubeless so just switching tires is not an option. 10 x 141mm is a tough size to find cheap and used for this purpose, so hoping to hear that without the need for brakes to line up or center, I have some size flexibility. I am a refugee from road cycling where everything is tidy and standardized. MTBs seem to be presenting a problem using a trainer because of the whole tubeless/knobby/array of standards issue. This dude just throws a road wheel on a mountain bike - how is that doable with different axle/hub spacing? Does it not matter unless you need brakes? Using a Resistance Trainer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting a wheel for trainer use only - which measurements have to be the same.-capture.png  

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Getting a wheel for trainer use only - which measurements have to be the same.

Yes, you need the correct hub width.

I would look into a wheel off trainer and run a 142 bolt on axle and mill the trainer 142 adapter 1 MM.

I have milled hub adapters with success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    How does the axle interface with the trainer? All wheel-on trainers I've dealt with have cups that center on the ends of the skewer. In most cases, a skewer is supplied with the trainer, or available separately, to ensure it mates correctly and securely attaches the bike and trainer.

Will your trainer properly engage the axle on your bike?
    Do the math.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    Yes, you need the correct hub width.

I would look into a wheel off trainer and run a 142 bolt on axle and mill the trainer 142 adapter 1 MM.

I have milled hub adapters with success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    OP has a QR frame. Open dropouts. 142mm is a thru axle. Just removing 1mm of material from a thru axle adapter wouldn't cut it. IF said direct drive trainer used an end cap swap to change between axle types, then you could probably make your own end caps to get you to a qr141 frame. But a direct drive trainer is still a rather expensive solution.

To the OP - that QR 141 spec is new enough that the trainer companies don't know what to do with it yet. Direct drive OR wheel-on. It's not easy to find cheap hubs to build a trainer wheel because it's uncommon still for people to even want or need new rear wheels for their QR141 bikes. It's relatively uncommon for people to put mtb's on trainers, so it's going to take the trainer companies awhile to offer longer trainer skewers or adapters for boost qr frames (for direct drive trainers).

The easiest solution is likely to just buy a cheap road bike to use as a trainer bike.