Get a fork and dig in. The Lenz is here. (the 1st glimpse)- Mtbr.com
    Recovering Weight Weenie

Get a fork and dig in. The Lenz is here. (the 1st glimpse)

It's big.
    It's blue.
    It's geared.
    It's squishy.
    It's rolling on dub-nines.

Build to follow shortly.

giddy up!
    Nice....looks great!

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Down South Yooper

Nice Ride

Your dog looks terribly excited too. I guess it's catchy, the new bike feeling.

Plum

highly visible

Beautiful!

So's the frame.

mtbr member

paintbucket
    Mmmmmm. Squishy.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Recovering couch patato
    Don't forget to weigh it...please :-)
    Darn fine piece of engineering. All those long contact points and welding... I still can't believe the claimed and verified weights I've been reading about that beast. Howcome all the weightweenie noodly 26" frames are heavier?
    I can't wait for the rest of the pictures to follow!

Enjoy the build,

J
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Mashers Only!!
    Could you post some close ups of the welds? Please!!

HUGH

Hey it's my job....

mtbr member

Mine came in too

No pics available though yet. It looks like the Padre's with a black rear triangle.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Don't forget to weigh it...please :-)
    J
    5.8lbs on Brian's shipping scale
    5.4lbs on the scale at the Path
    Hugh's scale is the deciding factor..but bottom line...scary light!
    Remember folks..this sucka is XXL w/ 23" ST and 25"+ TT.

Pics of welds to show up soon...if you don't see it in person first!

Mashers Only!!
    Wow!! My Epic came in at 5.4 at the path. Nice!!

HUGH

Not because I'm fast.....
    [QUOTE=Padre]5.8lbs on Brian's shipping scale
    5.4lbs on the scale at the Path
    Hugh's scale is the deciding factor..but bottom line...scary light!
    QUOTE]

Hey Padre, nice looking frame. I am itching to try a 29er myself, but I am afraid I would want one if I do.

Are you at all worried about the lightness of the frame at your size and given your established track record of busting frames? Just curious.

Have fun building it up and congrats!

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Is it built yet?
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by HUGH
    Wow!! My Epic came in at 5.4 at the path. Nice!!

HUGH
    ALL the frames (I have heard of) weighted at The Path are 5.4 lbs.!
    Of course I have heard of just two.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

My gloves stink

Great picture!

Your dog is now the background on my desktop. Hope I'm not violating any copyright laws.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by 2farfwd
    Are you at all worried about the lightness of the frame at your size and given your established track record of busting frames? Just curious.
    Yes.
    But the saving graces are these:
    1. My broken frames were hardtail singlespeeds that saw the breakage due to the torque/frame flex distributed while standing and climbing, this doesn't happen much on a geared squishy.
    2. I'm never broken a part or frame going downhill, only up....I'm not the smoothest, but I'm not the most destructive on the bike on the downs, only torquing up hills.
    3. I'm hoping the combo of suspension and gears can help keep the Lenz around for at least 2 years. If I get that...I'll be VERY pleased.

Good question.

mtbr member
    Howcome all the weightweenie noodly 26" frames are heavier?
    J
    I think it is due to the amount of machined metal on the Revelation to give the concentric arangement, the whole pivot is much smaller (and therfore lighter) on the Leviathan.

Just a guess.

P::..

mtbr member
    Can't wait to see it built up. Some bikes look good big others don't it's our curse. I look forward to seening how this one turns out.

Recovering couch patato
    5.8lb in XXL...that's freakin' lighter than an XL Karate Monkey!!
    2631g, that's 500g less than my VooDoo Canzo. Lighter than most 26" Medium frames.
    I guess Designed and Handcrafted in the USA is a deciding factor here, could be worth a pound on a frame in terms of stiffness and strength.

Chuck, you also congrats with yours, I envy you guys!
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by nightfire
    Can't wait to see it built up. Some bikes look good big others don't it's our curse. I look forward to seening how this one turns out.

Preliminary build indicates looking sweet.
    Headset, fork, cranks, post...mmmmm...

I kind of giggled when I realized I was going to have to trim the post a little....since that has NEVER happened before...Man..23" TT are the cat's pajamas..

Recovering couch patato
    Why, does the post get stuck before it sinks to your desired depth, or perhaps when loweing it for DH bits? If you're on Westcoast time as I recall, did you just sneak out early just to build some before breakfast? ;-)
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Why, does the post get stuck before it sinks to your desired depth, or perhaps when loweing it for DH bits? If you're on Westcoast time as I recall, did you just sneak out early just to build some before breakfast? ;-)
    Yeah, it gets hung up..I'm not sure yet if grease will cure it..since it looks clear all the way down... I'll investigate.
    Nah, got up early for a training ride. VQ only 5 weeks away.

Recovering couch patato
    I must have mis-read, I thought you weren't a racer? I'm less a racer than you are, I slept past noon.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I must have mis-read, I thought you weren't a racer? I'm less a racer than you are, I slept past noon.
    The Vision Quest is not a race really, more of a challenge. Like, "Can you even finish this bad boy?"
    The only other "race" I've done is XC SS at Sea Otter.
    some folks race it. I ride my fastest, but it's pretty slow considering.
    My time....9:23
    My wife's.... 7:32
    Hugh... 7:24
    Donkey.... 7:06
    Andy aka Rut 6:29
    Drew Dawg 6:04

As you can see..it's not much of a race for me...oh yes..all the above were riding SS.
    Hugh, my wife, and Donkey also rode rigid.

Mashers Only!!
    Well I'm in for this year!! Mandy and I are doing it on a Tnadem!! Should be a good time..

HUGH

Recovering couch patato
    That's one seriously long challenge! Longest I've even been in an event was the Riva del Garda marathon. Wasted some time, but realistic would have been 6 hours. I wonder where you Americans find the energy for such events, especially as non-racers.
    Sow, your wife seems to be ready to not just smoke gearies, but also some SS macho's! At epics, does she carry the equipment to have your tea ready when you reach a summit? ;-)
    Seriously, I can really envy people that don't always have the drive to be competitive. Then, I envy your locals trails even more, must be much easier to enjoy a casual ride than here. Most of the time I need to really step on it to have some excitement.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Recovering Weight Weenie
    That's one seriously long challenge! Longest I've even been in an event was the Riva del Garda marathon. Wasted some time, but realistic would have been 6 hours. I wonder where you Americans find the energy for such events, especially as non-racers.
    Sow, your wife seems to be ready to not just smoke gearies, but also some SS macho's! At epics, does she carry the equipment to have your tea ready when you reach a summit? ;-)
    Seriously, I can really envy people that don't always have the drive to be competitive. Then, I envy your locals trails even more, must be much easier to enjoy a casual ride than here. Most of the time I need to really step on it to have some excitement.
    Nah, the wife only carries tire change stuff..but at the finish line last year, Poacher was there handing me an icy beer. One of the better ones I've ever had.

The energy for the event is found in unusual places...the obvious like gu, etc..but weird places...like.."oh, I don't want to die out here...i better keep going..."

2 years ago, Hugh finished in 9:30..this last year he shaved off 2 hours!!! Seriously, shaving off 20 minutes or even 2 is significant..but 2hours? It's really things like that that push most of us I think. Just seeing how you have improved and if you've really got what it takes deep down inside.

Well, Cloxx, for what it's worth, if you're ever over in the USA, you've got a place to stay and some free trail hosting...please come in shape! (riser bars required) (just kidding)

Recovering couch patato
    Thanks for the offer! I have this thing in my head, the Cloxxki Tour of the USA. when the budget permits me to long leave from work and airfare and such, I'm going to take some folks up on old, old offers :-)
    If all goes well, I may come to the SSWC05 in PA and start the tour from there. You can teach me which type of trails demand 22t cogs. I'm sure I'll suffer good.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

The Duuude, man...
    Padre,

Am I seeing a seatstay mounted cable router/stoper thing? Mine is perfectly smooth, so I use all zip ties back there...

Just curious....Devin already said he'd hook me up when my replacement frame is ready, just curious if thats now stock...

Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    FS: Everything

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by ncj01
    Padre,

Am I seeing a seatstay mounted cable router/stoper thing? Mine is perfectly smooth, so I use all zip ties back there...

Just curious....Devin already said he'd hook me up when my replacement frame is ready, just curious if thats now stock...
    Your eyes do not deceive you, that is a front der. router for sure...all pretty like...

Steamroller

Giant Dog?

It looks great, Hows the building coming along? Also could not help but notice your giant dog, considering the frame is XXL, the picture makes him look huge.
    Last edited by Mattman; 01-24-2005 at 01:27 PM.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

mtbr member

Guides

I do wish it had hose guides like my Heckler.

My frame is set up for discs only. However, besides a disc brake tab, there is no method other than a zip tie or one of those stick on housing/hose guides to secure anything to the non-drive side seatstay. The main triangle is the same in that it is set up for exposed cables across the top tube. At least I can run those jagwire housing guide/adapter there.

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckc1971
    I do wish it had hose guides like my Heckler.

My frame is set up for discs only. However, besides a disc brake tab, there is no method other than a zip tie or one of those stick on housing/hose guides to secure anything to the non-drive side seatstay. The main triangle is the same in that it is set up for exposed cables across the top tube. At least I can run those jagwire housing guide/adapter there.
    FYI et. al. Devin likes to run the brake cable on the downtube and connect it to the water bottle bolts, and put a screw with coax cable holders where there is some extra 'weld' on the down tube. I'm going to conver mine over in a couple of weeks. I'll post some pics if you new builders don't do it first ...

He says this causes less 'slack' in the cable because the cable is connected close to the pivot point.
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by jl
    FYI et. al. Devin likes to run the brake cable on the downtube and connect it to the water bottle bolts, and put a screw with coax cable holders where there is some extra 'weld' on the down tube. I'm going to conver mine over in a couple of weeks. I'll post some pics if you new builders don't do it first ...

He says this causes less 'slack' in the cable because the cable is connected close to the pivot point.
    I can't visualize the routing, so I'll look forward to the photo's.

thnx.N
    FS: Everything

mtbr member

Seatpost???

Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Yeah, it gets hung up..I'm not sure yet if grease will cure it..since it looks clear all the way down.
    My seatpost gets hung up as well. Anyone figured out how to fix this?

mtbr member

Figured it out

Talked to Devin Lenz and told him about my (our) issue with the seatpost. Seems that the seat tube he uses is slightly undersized and then reamed to the correct size. He does have an extension for the reamer but normally doesn't use it. Therefore, if I choose to keep my Thomson 410mm seatpost, I will either have to cut it down, have someone ream it deeper or send it back to Devin to have this done. He indicated he would "make it right." Hate to ruin a good seatpost. Also, since I'm running a 'bent" seatpost, there will be a lot of leverage on the top part of the seat tube. I am going to wait till after I complete my build before seeing what I need to do.

I also chatted with Devin about hose routing and he repeated the previous post about drilling into the frame. I reiterated what others have said about being nervous doing this to a frame without detailed directions/pictures.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckc1971
    Talked to Devin Lenz and told him about my (our) issue with the seatpost. Seems that the seat tube he uses is slightly undersized and then reamed to the correct size. He does have an extension for the reamer but normally doesn't use it. Therefore, if I choose to keep my Thomson 410mm seatpost, I will either have to cut it down, have someone ream it deeper or send it back to Devin to have this done. He indicated he would "make it right." Hate to ruin a good seatpost. Also, since I'm running a 'bent" seatpost, there will be a lot of leverage on the top part of the seat tube. I am going to wait till after I complete my build before seeing what I need to do.

I also chatted with Devin about hose routing and he repeated the previous post about drilling into the frame. I reiterated what others have said about being nervous doing this to a frame without detailed directions/pictures.
    I'm happy. I can run the 410 w/out cutting the post. Right where it bottoms out is where it needs to be..

Recovering Weight Weenie

Update:

Update;
    Just did 20 miles on the road on the Lenz...
    Man...even that was nice... pump up the Nano's to 70 and the suspension just sits still...sweet...

Members who have read this thread: 0