Gary Fisher X-Caliber Crank Clearance Issues- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Gary Fisher X-Caliber Crank Clearance Issues

Hi all,

I bought a new Gary Fisher X-Caliber last week and like it pretty well so far. I'm having a problem though, maybe someone out there can help.

The bike came with a set of Shimano FC-M521 Octalink cranks. I'm not a big Shimano fan in general and these things weighed a ton. I had a set of Truvativ Firex 3.3 cranks that are lighter and so I decided to put them on. I quickly ran into a problem though, the drive side crank arm is way too close to the chainstay. Adding the spacers into the GXP bottom bracket didn't buy me enough space and so I'm not sure what to think. The Shimano cranks have a much wider q-factor and clear with lots of room to spare.

Oh, same issue with a set of Truvativ Noir 3.3 cranks too.

So, has anyone encountered this? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for your help!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I put a Race Face x-type crank on mine, but set up as a single ring. I can run a 36T ring in place of the 32 with about 2 mm to spare, but this is with no spacers on the drive side bearing. The BB shell measured 73 mm, so I'm wondering if TruVativ cranks have different bearing widths or spindle lengths?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks deuxdiesel,

The Truvativ GXP BB does have two spacers, the frame's BB indeed measured 73mm and so according to the Truvativ manual, I first didn't use any spacer washers. I then tried with one in the drive side but this isn't enough clearance. When I crank down or side load the cranks, they hit a little on the lower chainstay.

It's weird though, th cranks aren't the same distance from the chainstays on either side and I have a set of Truvativ Noir 3.3s on a Santa Cruz Blur XC, whick I know is going to require at least a q-factor of 166. So, whatever GF is doing, it is wider than that I guess.

RK

Members who have read this thread: 0