G2 or not G2- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: G2 or not G2

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    101

    G2 or not G2

    So I got a superfly elite 100 frame as a warranty replacement.
    I can either find myself a G2 fork or put my 2008 Reba SL on there (I have the conversion kit for the lower bearing)
    Does G2 make a real difference or should I save the cash and just put my Reba on?

    Opinions please; thanking you in advance...

  2. #2
    Plays with tools
    Reputation: customfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,606
    I know this is going to sound crazy but put the fork you have on and see what you think. If you don't like it get a G2 fork. I for one like G2 frames without there matching forks, but everybody is different.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AndrewTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,949
    Quote Originally Posted by firedudecndn
    So I got a superfly elite 100 frame as a warranty replacement.
    I can either find myself a G2 fork or put my 2008 Reba SL on there (I have the conversion kit for the lower bearing)
    Does G2 make a real difference or should I save the cash and just put my Reba on?

    Opinions please; thanking you in advance...
    I think you should ask yourself ... if you have $x00 burning a hole in your pocket.

    If you like the Reba then put it on there. If you want anything else then use this as the perfect excuse to buy it. It's really not the night-and-day difference that people make it to be sometimes. Yeah yeah, I know I know, everyone is different, but really, it's not like it's unrideable either way.

    Now let me ask you a question - how do you like your wheeeeeeels?!?!??!

    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

    ... and cookies. :D

  4. #4
    Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,929

    XCL vs. Niner

    This is a trip. I have G2(80mm) on S.I.R. 9 s.s. and regular Fox 120 on 26" GT Marathon Carbon Pro. Whenever I rode GT it would take 1/4 mile to get accustomed to my regular geometry-I mostly ride G2 Niner. Then I bought new Fox 100mm F29 (regular geometry) for Niner, Put old G2 80mm on Access XCL 29er s.s. and now all 3 bikes feel the same. I don't know headtube angles but the G2 feels way more normal on Access XCL. The 100mm is way better on Niner for beat up bodies, All three feel good though.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,856
    Apparently, it appears you can convert your current 2008 Reba to G2 with these uppers too. Cheaper than a new fork for sure.

    http://aebike.com/product/reba-05-08...k4998-qc30.htm

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seat_boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    Apparently, it appears you can convert your current 2008 Reba to G2 with these uppers too. Cheaper than a new fork for sure.

    http://aebike.com/product/reba-05-08...k4998-qc30.htm
    This is very interesting... I've been wanting to getting a new longer offset fork to try, and I cut my Reba's steerer tube a bit short... has anyone tried this?
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,450
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    Apparently, it appears you can convert your current 2008 Reba to G2 with these uppers too. Cheaper than a new fork for sure.

    http://aebike.com/product/reba-05-08...k4998-qc30.htm
    That will get you a G2 Lite fork.
    The lowers are a little different on the G2...at least the Fox are.

    I have tried G2 Fox and regular Fox and Reba on a G2 frame. The difference is very very little....setting air and sag makes a much bigger difference

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,727
    The old Reba's were 38 or 39 mm offset, that is quite different than the 51 mm offset of the G2 forks. I am using a newer 46 mm offset Reba on a G2 bike with decent results. There's a little more wheel flop than when it had the G2 fork, but all in all it works well.
    Only the Crown-steerer-uppers are different on Rock Shox and Fox G2 forks, compared to their non-G2 versions.
    FYI, QBP now sells 51 mm offset versions of the new Reba's, so almost any bike shop can get one for you.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,856
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor
    That will get you a G2 Lite fork.
    The lowers are a little different on the G2...at least the Fox are.
    AFAIK, the original G2 Rebas that came stock on Fishers were only different in the crown. All the offset was in the crown.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    101
    Interesting responses so far.

    As a matter of fact I do have the cash to spend...um, er, well I will in a month
    I wonder if it's a perceivable difference... and the comment about converting my REBA is very interesting indeed...

    Thanks guys, much appreciated. The LBS has a stock bike like my frame, I should put my reba on and take it there to compare.

    To the guy who asked about my wheels:
    I have a SRAM X7 read hub
    intending to buy a light, strong front hub (suggestions?) so far leaning towards the DT Swiss light hub laced to Stans Arch 29er rims with double butted spokes.
    Difference in weight between the X7 and X9 is 35 gms so not an appreciable amount...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AndrewTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,949
    Quote Originally Posted by firedudecndn
    Interesting responses so far.

    As a matter of fact I do have the cash to spend...um, er, well I will in a month
    I wonder if it's a perceivable difference... and the comment about converting my REBA is very interesting indeed...

    Thanks guys, much appreciated. The LBS has a stock bike like my frame, I should put my reba on and take it there to compare.

    To the guy who asked about my wheels:
    I have a SRAM X7 read hub
    intending to buy a light, strong front hub (suggestions?) so far leaning towards the DT Swiss light hub laced to Stans Arch 29er rims with double butted spokes.
    Difference in weight between the X7 and X9 is 35 gms so not an appreciable amount...
    I think you have all the answers you need right there. While it's a good idea to compare your bike like you want to (LBS), it won't tell you much if all you do is ride around in a parking lot. Unless, of course, all you do is ride on pavement. That said, it is better than nothing. Sometimes you can learn a lot about a change in a parking lot.

    Agreed that 35 grams on the hub weight won't make much of a difference. What I read with your spoke and rim intentions sounds pretty good to me.

    My vote - continue according to you current plans. Make one change at a time to learn if you really find use out of changes. Buying parts for bikes is fun. Riding and learning how the changes work is funner.

    And Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

    ... and cookies. :D

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    101
    If anyone is still interested... I rode the bike with my REBA for about 85 kms and kind of thought "meh, I've had funner bikes" then installed a 2010 FOX F29 RLC G2 ...

    After 100 yards my thoughts were "WOW!!!" I wouldnt have thought the change in forks would make that much difference. The bike went from (IMO) average performance to quick, nimble and while it is only a perception; it felt lighter and wanted to be ridden FAST!!!
    The bike went from average feeling to incredible.

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.