Full Suspension 29er Help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2019

Full Suspension 29er Help

Hello all - I'm new to the group and I'm wanting to purchase my first full suspension 29er. I've been on a cheap hardtail for years and want full suspension. I live in Colorado and primarily ride the front range trails. My budget max is $2,000.00. I've been researching my options and the new Giant Stance 29 1 and Marin Rift Zone 2 are at the top of my list. I've also looked at the Specialized Stumpjumper ST 29. Can you please let me know which bike you'd choose and why or make another suggestion in my price range? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I chose the Stumpjumper alloy ST29 and love it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Those are good bikes for you budget.
    You can also get a bit more value if you consider used/demoed bikes. Websites like Pinkbike or your local classified often have quality, lightly used bikes from previous years that can get for well within your budget with a really good spec.
    This is based on your comfort level buying used, but you can always bring a buddy with more experience in these matters.
    Just throwing out another option - there is something to be said about a good relationship with your local bike shop too, so whatever works within your comfort zone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    That's a good point about your LBS, that's was one of the main reasons I bought what I bought. I simply walked in for the first time, struck up a great conversation with 2-3 people in the shop. They made me feel welcomed right away, but were not pressuring, let me wander around, answered questions, showed me the repairs, etc they were doing. Just overall good people who ride. They suggested I check out some of the local NEMBA chapters for rides, and we talked a lot about places to ride. So yeah, that made a difference in my decision.

mtbr member
    I'd also post on the Colorado Front Range forum. They can let you know what types of bike work well for the trails you like to ride or want to ride, and can advise on suitable tyres (one of the things that sometimes need to be swapped before riding)

Having a chat with some good LBSs is a great idea too. With a much more capable bike your MTB'ing horizons may completely open up, and there is so much more to the MTB experience than buying what is theoretically the best value bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I'd either save more money or buy a sweet hardtail at $2k. With corporate deal, Diamondback's high end aluminum fs bike can be hand in the $2.5k range though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm guessing you've been looking at the marin on chain reaction?

Wiki peak/ abajo peak are in there too.

My GF has a giant stance, pretty entry level but not a bad bike at all

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I did see the Marin on chain reaction, but if I went with that bike, I'd probably just get it from the local bike shop for a little bit more money. Thanks for the Fezzari suggestion, never heard of them, I'll check them out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Thank you - I didn't realize there was a specific page for the Colorado Front Range. I will post there as well.